Community discussions

MikroTik App

hambakwe
Topic Author

R52H Cards - 'A' ant & 'B' ant - also power settings

Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:31 pm

I've had a good search through the forum, but I may have missed the answers I was looking for.

Can anyone point me to, or answer the following questions about R52H cards.

1) The cards have two ant U.fl connectors, one marked 'MAIN' and the other 'AUX' on the board.

Which of these corresponds to 'antenna a' and which to 'antenna b' in the 'Wireless Card' settings tab on the Mikrotik software (2.9.38) as installed on the 532a Mikrotik board. I read somewhere that on some cards these settings get inverted ..

2) The R52H has an output of 350mW and the Tx Power Tab on the Wireless Card settings on MT 2.9.38 has various options i.e. default, all rates fixed, card rates and manual.

What output is delivered by the 'default' option - and if not 350mW which option will deliver the rated 350mW of the card?

I assume that setting the card to 25dB on one of the non-default options should do it, but doing this I don't notice any marked increase in power - so maybe the default setting does actually deliver 350mW?

All comments welcome.
Thanks

ejansson

Re: R52H Cards - 'A' ant & 'B' ant - also power settings

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:14 pm

Antenna A and Main are the same and it is also the default setting in MT. A good idea is to glue down the wire from the ufl connector to the card and metal shielding, we use a hot sick glue gun. This prevents the connector from coming loose when deployed.
As for Power always use default unless you need to turn down the power. Setting it above the proper amount can cause problems with the transmission due to distortion and in rare cases can damage the card from over heating.

Erik

hambakwe
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:24 am

Erik, thanks for the information and also for your advice. I had taped the U.fls in place for the same reason, but hot glue sounds much more robust.

jorj

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:43 pm

If you have to change the pigtail, the glue might exfoliate your card...... :(, and that would not be good.

ejansson

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:45 pm

Normally a skin cleanser is recommended for exfoliation :lol: We have never had any issue with damage to the cards as the glue is fairly soft. In the rare case the jumper is changed we just pick at the glue or cut is slightly to pull the jumper free. We install the new jumper and just re-glue the heat will re-melt the existing glue, no problems.

Erik

CarulloS

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:37 am

I can confirm that standard multi temp hot glue is fast and effective. I have removed many I glued on without problem. As stated - the hot glue never really gets hard (like regular cured glue) so it can be picked off with little effort. I'm sure you could get some super hot glue sticks but I wouldn't suggest that :)

Scott

jcremin

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:05 am

Depending on your options and preferences for cards, I've been moving all of my cards to MMCX based connectors. Much easier to work with and they are rock solid. Easier than trying to deal with ufl connectors and hot glue 150 feet up a tower.

ejansson

Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:20 am

All Hail the MMCX. I wish RB would use them on all their cards! ufl suck!

Erik