Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

phil1995
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mikrotik Routers and Humidity

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:06 pm

I am looking into starting a wireless ISP in the deep south (South Mississippi).

I notice that the router boards are rated at 70% non condensing humidity.

I believe the average humidity in south Mississipp is around 85%.

Has anyone ever encountered issues with humidity and the Mikrotik boards?

According to technical support, they have never had issues with this. I certainly would hate to find out the hard way.

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Mikrotik Routers and Humidity

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:51 am

I have a friend who runs a wisp in New Orleans and in Covington, La using primarily Mikrotik and doesn't have any humidity problems that I know of. I'll send him this thread and have him chime in with his experiences..

At my house doing testing I've left RB112's and RB532's sitting outside overnight and they were completely covered with dew the next morning yet still running.

I've also had DCE7x7x2's leak and fill up with water covering an inch or two of the RB inside. After draining the water, the RB still works and is still in service.

Out of close to 450 Routerboards in the field we have less than 15 failures, and most of those are due to lightning strikes(clear burn marks on the board)..

-Gerard
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

slipstream1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:48 am

I am in East Texas and have alot of humidity here and no problems with Mikrotik AP's or CPE's.

jowi007
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:45 am

Hi Gerard , i am customer of quicklink already ,
have faced a problem with 5ghz girds during rain time , 3 of 10 grids installed in same location
when having some water on the extremity of the grid loose signal and then it is back again
but the signal is -57 / -59 or nothing , when the rain stops all is normal for 1 week , the fast action i've made is to change these 3 grids , i need to know is it low temperature issue or some water issue , all grids are from the same model and all was operating 100 %
thank you in advance

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:50 am

It sounds like you are getting water in the cable/connector on the grids. What are you using to waterproof your connections?

If you need more help please e-mail me and I'll help you off the forum. gerard.at.quicklinkwireless.com

Thanks,
Gerard
Certified Mikrotik Trainer