MikroTik App

hytanium
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

WDS network with Dude Monitoring - Slow performance

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:13 am

Hello All,

I've been running the Dude since June and love it. Unfortunately as of late I have found that it seems to effect the overall performance of my network because of the polling. I turned off polling and now there has been an unbeleivable performance increase. Anyone else found this to happen. I have several sites with close to 180 RB133 being monitored. All my AP's are 532A's.

ashish
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: WDS network with Dude Monitoring - Slow performance

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:18 am

you need High end Machine. Coz i found Dude require High configuration for better performance

hytanium
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:56 pm

Actually, it is causing all my AP's and clients to have poor performance... the machine it runs on is a dual processor dual core machine with 4GB of ram... it is killing my wireless performance.

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:35 pm

Last time i tried Dude (which was quite some time ago) it was too aggressive about gathering data.
On a bridged LAN it would cause *alot* of ARP requests, which by function will be sent at the basic-rate (typically 6 mbit unless otherwise configured).
When it comes to network monitoring one has to be very careful about what requests one send, how one do it and how the replies come back.

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:01 am

I've tried The Dude several times and I've had problems every time.. it seems like the dude polls all devices on your network at the exact same time.

For example if you have a poll interval of 5 minutes, It attempts to poll all devices at that 5 minute mark causing a bunch of problems. There should be an option to only poll a certain # of devices simultaneously.

-Gerard

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:36 am

as my experience, on the dude, i just enable the ping on each device that i wish to monitor, because if i enable all the protocol (dns, http etc), the traffic needed would be really high and i think that's what kills your network. Try to remove other protocol and just enable the ping because we just need to know whether the device is up or not right?

Happy trying..

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:43 am

I only use snmp on my AP's and monitor pings for everything else. I use label refresh and poll interval set to 5 minutes..

-Gerard