Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gunzoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Lost Interfaces

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:02 am

RB 532-A with a R52H running in 5Ghz lost wlan1, ether2 and ether3. They disappeared.
This is a midpoint MT in a critical backhaul link. Ether1, which connects by cable to a neighboring MT continues to work. I FTP'd ROS 2.9.50 up to it and reinstalled it, but it did not bring those interfaces back.
Has anyone seen this before?
Any clues as to what may have malfunctioned?

it@mikrotik

Re: Lost Interfaces

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:36 pm

Could you connect the RB using winbox? If yes what is the status of ether2,Ether3,wlan1 in interfaces menu? are they enabled? or only ether1 is showing ther?

johnlaska
just joined

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:05 pm

For the record, we've had mixed results when upgrading/downgrading ROS. Some aspects of the configuration don't always survive! Best advice I can offer is make sure you write down your configurations (and then photocopy :lol: ) so in an emergency, you know what has to be done.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:07 pm

you guys are missing his point - he means the interfaces no longer show up even. sounds like hardware failure possibly. you could try a system reset-configuration to see if that helps, otherwise RMA / trash it.

Gunzoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:39 am

Yes Changeip, you are correct. wlan1, ether2 and ether3 simply vanished. Ether1 is still working so I could access the unit (it's up on top of a mountain) and reboot it several times as well as reinstalling the ROS-but the interfaces never showed up. I've resigned my self to the fact that I'll have to hike up there and replace it. Just wondered if a similar thing had ever happened to anyone else, or if it was a fluky hardware failure.

hytanium
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:55 am

Save the hike...

telnet to the unit and disable the wlan interfaces..... reboot then re-enable. With the 3.0 releases I've always had to disable the wireless interfaces on the 532 boards then upgrade reboot then enable the interfaces, otherwise they simply dissappear. I've saved many trips to the tower using this ... it seems to only be a problem if you have 40 or more clients on your board.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:21 am

check if your board isn't overheating.
check the system resource pci if you see those devices.

Gunzoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:27 pm

Hytanium- I'd love to save the hike (it's mid-winter here in New England), but wlan1, ether2 & 3 can't be seen-via Winbox anyway-and I'm using 2.9.50. And it's the only station in a backhaul link. I'll try disabling, rebooting and enabling wlan1 via telnet today just in case

Uldis- I'll check system resources today. Are ether2 & 3 and wlan1 on a separate power bus from ether1 on the board?

Thanks for the advice.

Tanker
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:03 pm

We did the hike 2x - and it's mid summer here (+45deg C.... ) ..........................................

Board now lying ½ way down the mountain (6500ft) - new board installed - RB600....

Let's see what happens...

Interesting the 40 client issue... Said BSS now has 56 clients on it when it suddenly "decided" to throw interfaces... weird...

T

Tanker
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:07 pm

.... ah - forgot to add....

We had this issue before and I pegged it down to erratic power supply up to the board... somehow 48V doesn't do it for me and we have now changed everything to 12V off a battery - cleaner power and the stepdown on the board isn't as loaded - imho anyway.. but since the change we have had a LOT LESS hassles...

T