Community discussions

MikroTik App

johnlaska
just joined
Topic Author

What are hardware retries?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:14 pm

Hello everyone

I see an option in winbox to adjust the number of hardware retries, but I can't seem to track down exactly what this option means.

I see that most people set their hardware retries to 7, while the default value seems to be 15. What's the difference?

Thank-you in advance from myself and my fellow noobs.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What are hardware retries?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:00 pm

frame retry (the retry logic for failed transmissions) happens when packets from two or more stations collide with one another.
there are two models, unlimited and limited frame retries.

You may google for: "hardware-level frame retry" for more.

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:34 am

Sounds Handy for when you have an over saturated AP with to many clients...
~Agricultural WISP "ZONE"~ Beware of oncoming cattle and dont hit the farmer!!! I need to ask him about using his silo for an AP first"~

*Automated Billing Installer* http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/AutomatedBilling Built by Krige ;-)

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:30 pm

It was implemented to correct the association problems between Atheros AP's and non-Atheros clients.

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:35 pm

It was implemented to correct the association problems between Atheros AP's and non-Atheros clients.
thats interesting, because i do have problems with some laptops that get dissconnected decieded to death error 8, and i tried to change hardware retries and it had no affect on it. It only does it with some laptops (all of the built in wifi laptops) the laptop i have now that works good is the one with an exchangable wireless card through PCMCIA, D-link All of my CPE's work good with it to, Just built in wireless cards dont like to stay asociated with my AP. -Jordan
~Agricultural WISP "ZONE"~ Beware of oncoming cattle and dont hit the farmer!!! I need to ask him about using his silo for an AP first"~

*Automated Billing Installer* http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/AutomatedBilling Built by Krige ;-)

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:59 pm

Those problematic laptops are likely running Intel or Broadcom chips. I've had more trouble out of Broadcom wireless in laptops than anything else lately. They even have trouble associating with Linksys WRT54 series, which runs a Broadcom chip itself.

DLink seems to be primarily Atheros now, so it figures they'd work better with our MT ROS and Atheros cards.