Community discussions

MikroTik App

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

3.65Ghz FCC certification

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:33 pm

Is there any way to get a MikroTik RB333 with a Ubiquiti XR3 card FCC certified to operate in the 3.65-3.70Ghz range?

j2sw
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: 3.65Ghz FCC certification

Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:49 pm

Check these folks out:
http://www.agiletestgroup.com/site/fccc ... PAodYyw1Og
They are great to work with. Very professional.

The last Mikrotik stuff we got certified is certified for 3 components:
1.antenna
2.Radio Card
3.Pigtail

It's not as expensive as everyone thinks.

Justin

---
Justin S. Wilson
Mikrotik Certified - CCNP - ACSA
http://www.ndwave.com/
http://www.mtin.net/

CarulloS

Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:59 am

Justin,

If you believe everyone thinks incorrectly why not just tell us how much it was instead of making everyone ask the people in the link you gave which will cause them to raise the price because everyone bugs them?

Please just provide an approx amount...

Also, exact what did you get certified? Hit me directly if you want but I am very interested in knowing this. scott)*at(*brevardwireless.com

Scott

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:23 am

I just spoke with Jon Hartman from Agile Test Group, he is getting a quote put together for FCC certification of the XR3 on a RB333. He says it will definitely be under $10k but until he checks on a few things, can't give a better price estimate.

btw Justin, What company did you get things certified under? He said they had no record of ever certifying anything MikroTik. I had him check to see if it would reduce the amount of testing required for us, but he turned up nothing.

CarulloS

Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:48 am

I think if you added some standard stuff a large group of us could agree on we could go in together and have it be affordable and certified. Its a win-win for everyone involved. Now is the time to get some more peoples attention. Imagine price at 100 companies involved for several sets of normalized gear (AP / Client / Backhaul etc...)

Scott

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:32 pm

I think if you added some standard stuff a large group of us could agree on we could go in together and have it be affordable and certified. Its a win-win for everyone involved. Now is the time to get some more peoples attention. Imagine price at 100 companies involved for several sets of normalized gear (AP / Client / Backhaul etc...)

Scott

I was thinking the same exact thing... I can't justify more then a few hundred dollars to get the gear certified, but if we get 35 people (or less depending on the pricing estimate I hear back) that all chip in $300 to do so, we can all easily accomplish this.

the specs I was planning were as follows
RB333 (or maybe the RB600?)
ROS v3.x
Ubiquiti XR3

certified for standard contention protocol (i.e. not disableing CSMA) which allows for use in full 50mhz of the 3.65-3.70Ghz range

I'm hopeing that he tells me it can be used with any antenna less then nn dBi but if it has to be tied to a particular antenna as well, something in the 25-29dBi range (suggestions?)

Montana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:27 am

I too would be willing to chip in to help get things going. I wander how many other configurations have already been certified.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:49 pm

Can this be applied to other frequencies as well? If we can get a handful of systems certified, I'm in. If its $10k per config, I'm not certain I'll be using 3.65 anyway, so I wouldn't really benefit.

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Got some more information from Jon...

1) confirmed that the antenna thankfully does not need to be part of the system certified so once we have a certified system, each user is free to pick the antenna most appropriate for their needs, as long as it does not violate the FCC power density limits of 1 watt per MHz of channel width for this band.

2) Since UBNT is nearly complete getting a modular certification for the XR3, we only need to get the unit part 15 certified, which is closer to $3k estimate (official quote coming later today)
Can this be applied to other frequencies as well?
no, the certification is specific to the radio / board combination used, therefore the certificate will be for 3.65-3.70GHz only

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:57 pm

I too would be willing to chip in to help get things going. I wander how many other configurations have already been certified.

none that I am aware of, I had them do some quick searching and he didn't find anything related to MikroTik for any licensed bands, but it was not a comprehensive search and could have easily have missed something.

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Official quote came back:
Reference: United States
Test Name: FCC Part 15, Subpart B – Unintentional Radiators
Price (US): $2,000.00

Tests performed:
15.107 Conducted Emissions
15.109 Radiated Emissions
Test Report
This quote assumes that the Ubiquity module has prior approval from the FCC
They will not be able to perform the test until Ubiquiti gets their certification, which according to Robert from UBNT, is expected by the end of Feburary. Once that has taken place, they will be able to start the testing, and will take up to 30 days before we get the results (usually sooner)

We need 7-10 people (or more) to get together who are willing to pay between $200 and $300 to get a XR3 system part 15 certified so that we can register them as base stations for 3.65GHz.

dallas
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:23 pm

We need 7-10 people (or more) to get together who are willing to pay between $200 and $300 to get a XR3 system part 15 certified so that we can register them as base stations for 3.65GHz.

Don't you mean Part 90? Part 90 is for 3.65 and Part 15 is for the lower range.

Dallas

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:36 pm

Don't you mean Part 90? Part 90 is for 3.65 and Part 15 is for the lower range.

Dallas
according to the FCC certification company, we only need the Part 15, Subpart B, Ubiquiti is getting the Part 90 Modular certification, which means the only thing that needs to get certified is the assembled unit for a Part 15 (once ubnt received their certification.)

dallas
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:08 pm

The way I understood it was:

The XR3 has to be certified with Part 15 and Part 90. Once that is done all we need to do is register to fcc with 3.65 license if you want it. Otherwise the part 15 frequency (public) you dont need to do anything else. Just use it. Can someone tell me if I am wrong?

Dallas

dallas
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:16 pm

I am going to experiment with the XR3 to make sure its going to work for me. Then I will decide if I am going to pay $300 to help the certification process. I ordered the product but have not yet received it. Dallas

Montana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:27 am

I'll pay the $300 bucks to help out. Has any one got any of the of bands certified, 2.4-5.8 ?
I'd be willing to pay those people some money to get those covered as well.

nickb

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:47 am

I'd be interested in participating in certification as well.

Would we need to get both AP and CPE devices put through the process, or only AP?

My opinion would be to try to get a batch deal:

RB532+XR3 - Maybe, maybe not? I guess this is now a "legacy" product that will be going away :(
RB333+XR3 - This would be the one to use for omnidirectional sites
RB600+XR3 - This would be the one to use for multisector sites
RB113C or RB411 + XR3 - CPE Side

dallas
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:54 am

I though it only had to be the XR3 wireless card to pass the FCC. Am I wrong?

Dallas

CarulloS

Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:38 am

There needs to be a lot more clarification before people start writing checks to anyone.

We need absolute positive answers, so if you have an opinion, save it for another thread. If you have facts, based on real tangible FCC information then by all means please share it.

1) From earlier posts it seems the routerboard and wireless card combination require certification (for whatever frequency you want certified). We assume XR3 since thats what this thread was about. Once that is figured out particulars can be applied to other freqs. I have heard other conflicting information that even a pigtail can't be changed or the antenna. There is discrepancy of information on this, can someone clarify and provide the source for the information so I can cite it in my FCC folder I have.

2) Every radio needs certification - not just AP's. If there is to be a client radio -- or any other combination of hardware it needs to be decided among those participating in this joint venture. Be careful with you selections, its $2000 per choice. You want XR3 with RB333 and RB600 and RB411 - $6000 It would be more economical to choose a single board like the RB333 due to it being the most flexible and middle of the costs points. The RB411 is a great economical choice too - even for backhaul use point to point. Any way, eveyone has opinions here, choices need to be ironed out.

3) Does the rules for this freq regulate where in the US you can or can't use it? Some freqs have coastal areas where you can't use them. This needs to be clarified.

4) Does the rules for this freq limit is usage in any way? (PTP / PTMP etc..)

Seems to me, Mikrotik and Ubiquity could lead in getting this stuff certified - after all they already deal with this stuff and the FCC on a regular basis. We are blindly struggling to figure out what we can do and its them who are selling the product. Must be nice :)

Thanks, this could really be beneficial once the thread and ideas mature.

Scott

dallas
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:14 pm

Here are the FCC regulations for 3GHz range.

Part 15 for public frequencies
http://wireless.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/wtbbye. ... 15_07.html

Adding the 3Ghz public frequencies they on changed a couple things. It all fits on one page.

Part 90 for the 3.65 frequency
http://wireless.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/wtbbye. ... 90_07.html

Dallas

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:42 pm

1) From earlier posts it seems the routerboard and wireless card combination require certification (for whatever frequency you want certified). We assume XR3 since thats what this thread was about. Once that is figured out particulars can be applied to other freqs. I have heard other conflicting information that even a pigtail can't be changed or the antenna. There is discrepancy of information on this, can someone clarify and provide the source for the information so I can cite it in my FCC folder I have.
According to the information I received from Jon at the certification company, the antenna does NOT need to be part of the certified "package" however i did not ask about the pigtail or enclosure. I assume the enclosure does need to be part of the package, but the pigtail more then likley does not.

2) Every radio needs certification - not just AP's. If there is to be a client radio -- or any other combination of hardware it needs to be decided among those participating in this joint venture. Be careful with you selections, its $2000 per choice. You want XR3 with RB333 and RB600 and RB411 - $6000 It would be more economical to choose a single board like the RB333 due to it being the most flexible and middle of the costs points. The RB411 is a great economical choice too - even for backhaul use point to point. Any way, eveyone has opinions here, choices need to be ironed out.
Correct as I understand it that a RB333/XR3 would be a different certification then a RB600/XR3, thus doing both would cost twice as much. I would prefer to see the 333's used as opposed to the 411's for a number of reasons, including the fan connectors, number of ethernet ports, as well as the extra mini-pci slots (where someone could install a 2.4 / 5.8 radio for distribution, and use the 3.6 for a backhaul)

4) Does the rules for this freq limit is usage in any way? (PTP / PTMP etc..)
I do not beleive so, the only limitations I am aware of are for fixed vs mobile applications, I don't think it matters PTP or PTMP
Seems to me, Mikrotik and Ubiquity could lead in getting this stuff certified
would be nice... :)

Ackster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:07 am

Count me in on this one. Once the specs are ironed out, I'll be willing to chip in some dollars.

TomKolb

Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:33 am

I don't know if anyone is keeping track of who is interested but please add my name to the list.

BrianHiggins
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:01 pm

currently the only way is just comments on this thread. once we're ready to proceed then I'll try to contact everyone that's expressed interest.

I just email'd UBNT to see where they stand on the certification process.

steveloomis

Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:53 am

I am interested as well...

danmanfu
just joined

Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:25 pm

My company just received its license for 3.65ghz. We are more than willing to help get this thing off the ground. Has anyone checked into commercial 3.65ghz gear? Starts at about $40k for a single radio with antenna, and goes up from there, WAY UP.

I'm a bit surprised mikrotik and Ubiquiti aren't doing this on there own, or at least helping. (HINT HINT)

Anyway my vote will have to be for the 333 and the 411, that way we can do point to multipoint at some point.

Whats the certification time frame once it's all submitted? Knowing the fcc 6 months may be expecting too much.

Dan
dan@bradcowisp.com

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:21 am

Is there any way to get a MikroTik RB333 with a Ubiquiti XR3 card FCC certified to operate in the 3.65-3.70Ghz range?
I'll step up to the plate on this one. I own a fairly new MT distributorship (roc-noc.com) and a long established ISP/WISP in Illinois.
I would love to see 3.65-3.7GHz certification for the RB333 and the RB600. We are also looking for new customers.

I'll donate $100 towards the FCC fund for every new customer that registers and places an order through our web site for at least $300 of MT gear through April 30, 2008. The new customer must also send us an email at the time the order is placed saying that they want to see Mikrotik products FCC certified (so we know that they heard about our offer here in the forum). I'll work with whoever ends up coordinating the approval and send our payment directly to the FCC test lab.

This offer is good for a maximum of $5000 (50 new customers) which should cover certification on both Routerboards. "New customer" means that you and your company have not yet purchased products from our company.

Let's get this gear approved!

Tom

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:10 pm

How is this coming along? I think I'll be pitching in if its not too late.

dallas
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:50 pm

I got this message from UBNT so we are almost there. I just want a know if we are going to wait another month or not to get the paperwork.

Hey Dallas,

We have passed all the testing just waiting for the FCC to issue the grants. Seems they are really backed up, so just in a holding pattern until the paperwork gets in.

Thanks,

Michael Ford

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:02 am

So whats the game plan right now? A RB333 and RB411? We'll need the RB411 certified unless we want near $600 CPE's. Those XR3's aint cheap.

dallas
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Yes the Rb333 and the Rb411 is reasonably priced out.

pixitha

Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:29 am

http://tinyurl.com/2qy2bl

if anyone wants to read the test results from the XR3 fcc lab testing.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:41 am

for an investment as large as this - you should also consider the involved products lifetime and availability

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:16 am

for an investment as large as this - you should also consider the involved products lifetime and availability
Good idea Normis. Can you provide us with the lifetime availability for RB133, RB133c, RB333, RB411 and RB600?

Thanks,

Tom

jsc
just joined

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:42 pm

Good idea Normis. Can you provide us with the lifetime availability for RB133, RB133c, RB333, RB411 and RB600?Thanks,Tom
I would like to participate in any group effort to obtain FCC certification(s) for the Mikrotik boards. I agree however, that it would be nice to know the expected lifetime RB333 and RB411.

BulleriNET
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:59 pm

We also already have our 3.65 registration complete and would be intrested in sharing the costs in getting this done

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Looks like I'm in. Whats the time frame?

pixitha

Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:30 pm

I have been working with Forepoint and Tom from Roc-Noc, and Agile. Were waiting to get a bit more information about lifetime for the paticular RB products were looking into stickered. Were also getting case designs figured out (they are part of the cert, and they cant change)...

Ill keep you informed. Anyone wanting to get more exact info send me a PM and Ill email/call you with exact details.

-Kyle

freebird
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Here you find an rough answer concerning your lifetime questions:

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23336

seandsl
--

sarpkaya
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:55 pm

LoLz u're too lucky. That license cost is 100.000 YTL for one region(like Black Sea Region) that equals 90.000$ in Turkey.

pixitha

Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:20 pm

Here you find an rough answer concerning your lifetime questions:

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23336

seandsl
--

We have that info, were looking for EOL time frames for 333, and 600 and 411

-Kyle

infowest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 09, 2008 7:44 pm

Where are we on this? I'd be more than happy to pitch in.

As for the boards that should be certified, are you still looking at the 333, or would the 433 be more appropriate?

Randy

infowest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 09, 2008 8:50 pm

pixitha - I can't sem to private message you. Interested in working with you on this and other boards / frequencies. Please email me at r c o s b y *AT* i n f o w e s t . c o m
Last edited by infowest on Mon May 12, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun May 11, 2008 4:28 pm

We are obviously not looking at any EOL product for certification. I'll be meeting with MT management at MUM in Chicago and hopefully get some EOL answers and commitments. If any of you are attending MUM next week, stop by our vendor table and say hello.

Based on what I have seen in the past several months, the RB333 is out (EOL) and I don't trust the RB600 to stick around long enough with strong competition coming from the RB433 and RB433AH.

Right now, the good candidates are RB411, RB411A, RB433, or RB433AH.

As far as availability for testing, we have RB411 and the RB433 in stock. RB411A and RB433AH arriving at the end of the month.

I still need to order some 3.65GHz UBNT cards for testing and determine what outdoor cases work and make the most sense.

Tom

htctbb
just joined

Tue May 13, 2008 8:19 pm

Has anyone looked at this item?

http://streakwave.com/mmSWAVE1/Video/HW3.pdf

I'm not sure if it is truly certified - but I thought it was interesting.

-Tom

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun May 18, 2008 3:54 am

From what I heard updating an existing certification is much easier and cheaper then getting the initial certification. So if the main board changed it may not be a huge issue providing most of the RF characteristics did not. Of course 3.65 goes under part-90 instead of part-15 so it may be all different.

A good person to ask is Jack. He can likely even provide a price quote.

http://www.ask-wi.com/certification.html

Matt

danmanfu
just joined

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:37 am

Is anything being done with this? I've been following this thread for quite a while. I'd like to know if anything is being done, or if there is anything I can do to help get this certification moving forward. Feel free to contact me off list.
dan at bradcowisp.com
Dan
Bradco-Wisp, Inc.

infowest
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:03 am

From my experience, there is no need. The FCC will allow a device with the Ubiquiti XR3b to be registered and legal, no further certification required.

Randy

gregclemmons
just joined

Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:18 am

Any action taken on this? I may wish to be part of a certification effort.
Greg
NetSpeedNow.com

hci
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Anything new with this? Anyone deployed XR9 in 3.7g with Mikrotik yet?

Matt

nickb

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:25 am

From my experience, there is no need. The FCC will allow a device with the Ubiquiti XR3b to be registered and legal, no further certification required.

Randy
Really? Please provide some more information!!

This would be a huge boon because I seriously doubt anyone will pay so much money to get anything based on Mikrotik certified, based on how fast they EOL products!