Community discussions

MikroTik App

itchibahn
Topic Author

Sudden loss of all stations

Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:26 am

Since the new install of RB532/XR2/Omni (AP) and RB133/XR2 (Stations) about 3 months ago on 2GHz-5MHz/2412MHz, had no problem until today. Yesterday we had a wind at about 50mph and had no problem, but today with more calm winds, we lost all the stations and can't get them back.

From the AP, we did some various band scans, and we see tons of devices, but don't see anything in 2GHz-5MHz or 2GHz-10MHz. So I setup another station right below the AP and it won't connect. Doing the scans, the station will see the AP but the AP won't see the station. But changing the freq to 2417MHz, they all connects.

I'm guessing the XR2 on the AP may be a problem. Would you agree? I'm getting ready to call the climber when the wind dies down.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Sudden loss of all stations

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:28 am

Deaf radio...

chvdr

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:21 am

verify antenna connectors - possible water penetration

btw, what does it meant that "deaf radio"?

jcremin

Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm

It usually means that static buildup has zapped the receiver of the card so it can still transmit but not hear.

Montana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:30 pm

I too have had some problems with stations dropping off. I had a winter storm move thru and 3 out of 10 subscribers dropped off and could not connect. I am seeing weird connections signals and up times that dont make sense. My AP has been up for 6-8 months with no changes in equipment or software. I replaced the client radios and all is well. The client radios that I replaced work fine in another system but not the old one. I think there is an association problem at the AP or software glitch. I just havent found the anwser yet.

chvdr

Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:50 am

stop wonderin' what 2 do... vrify signal levels. if poor cpe - replace antenna with bigger one. after that replace interface. of root ap, cpe - next.

if good signal levels and ccq - monitor traffic then. a big goal is to limit packets per second and add good designed queues.

nickb

Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:55 pm

High wind probably caused a static charge that blew out your transmitter. I've had this happen once or twice - some people have had it happen many dozens of times. It depends on your installation methodology and atmospheric conditions in your area.

Basically, when I've seen this, the card can hear just fine. Picks up anything you transmit to it, but cannot transmit out at all. I've personally only had this happen to 2 SR2 cards, but when testing them on the bench even at full power with a directional antenna they can't be picked up at all even from a few meters away.

This will, quite obviously, cause things to not be able to associate.