Community discussions

MikroTik App

netinitaly
just joined
Topic Author

Help for full duplex OSPF links

Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi
I'm worried about full duplex OSPF links redundancy.
([url]http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/OSPF_to_s ... redundancy[/url])
I have setup 2 individual NStream links, with OSPF and configure them for full duplex routing with the same interface costs. That way if one link does drop, it will nearly instantly fall back to half duplex communication on the remaining link and this, but when functional i should have almost the same full duplex effeciency as the NStream 2 link.

[size=85]
Router1 1 Router 2

x86-5Ghz(5500MHz)-AP Mode <----NStream----> x86-5Ghz(5500MHz)-Station Mode
wlan1 OSPF cost 10 wlan1 OSPF cost 10

x86-5Ghz(5700MHz)-Station Mode <----NStream----> x86-5Ghz(5700MHz)-AP Mode
wlan2 OSPF cost 10 wlan2 OSPF cost 10

[/size]

However in this configuration i have a problem, when both links are operational the traffic flows is very discontinuous because change every 5 minutes.
For 5minutes traffic flows in a full-duplex path across the 2 half-duplex link, significantly improving overall link performance and throughput (~32Mbps TCP-bidirectional)
But 5 minutes later the wlan1 link doesn’t transmit more but it’s always running and remaining wlan2 link in standard half-duplex mode(~19Mbps TCP-bidirectional)
Another 5 minutes later come back the first Traffic flows and so on....

How I can obtain only the first situation(Traffic flows 1) for all the time???
Thanks for any helps

expunge
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Help for full duplex OSPF links

Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:33 pm

netinitaly,

Try adjusting your weights, the way I understand it, you should set your costs so one link is TX unless that link is down and then the other link will run 1/2 duplex.

I.E.
Set the 5.5 GHz link to cost 11 on router 1 and cost 10 on router 2.
Set the other link to cost 10 on router 1 and cost 11 on router 2.

This way, traffic will attempt to flow from router 2 to router 1 on the 5.5 link and take the opposite path on the other link. When a link failed, it would still flow through the other link by taking the link with the 1 unit higher cost.

I might be wrong on this one but I would give that a try and see if it fixes your issues. I think right now with all the costs being equal the routing gets confused or creates a cache after a period of time and only flows through one link.

netinitaly
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Help for full duplex OSPF links

Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:43 am

Dear expunge,

Thanks for the info.
I try your suggestion this morning...i change the ospf's cost.
I set the 5.5 GHz link to cost 100 on router 1 and cost 10 on router 2 and for the other link to cost 10 on router 1 and cost 100 on router 2 and i solved my problem.
Now i have a full duplex ospf links with high throughput for all the time :D

Thanks again