Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

GP01Fb
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless connection problem

Tue May 20, 2008 10:37 pm

Is it possible to connect the router board 133c3 to regular wireless router? (e.g. linksys, d-link, etc...) If so, how to configure the router board and/or the regular router so that my pc can surf the web wirelessly? Below is the setup which I want to construct:

PC ---(cable)--- Router Board 133c3 ---(wireless)--- router ---(cable)--- DSL modem (internet)

Please help. I've spent a week to setup this simple network and it still doesn't work. This is only the phase 1 of my project. If it's not gonna work, I need to consider other solutions as the due date is approaching. Thank you very much.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless connection problem

Tue May 20, 2008 11:40 pm

Do you have a wireless card and antenna in the 133c?

GP01Fb
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2008 11:42 pm

Yes.

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 21, 2008 1:39 am

So you need to setup wlan1 as a station, if there is any security set it up.
run dhcp-client on wlan1
add a ip nat masquerade rule and setup ether1 on a different subnet with dhcp if desired.

GP01Fb
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2008 10:14 am

I cannot see the dhcp-client at winbox. Is there any other solution? Thank you.

Tanker
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 21, 2008 1:19 pm

It might not be loaded - not sure what version ROS you are using, but you might have to download the All Packages for the latest version of your ROS.. unzip it and then copy the DHCP module into the Files ...

Reboot the router and when you go back into winBOX you'll find that the DHCP module is now visual under IP in winBOX

Hope this helps

T

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 21, 2008 2:05 pm

go under system packages and make sure dhcp is enabled.

GP01Fb
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2008 4:51 pm

Thank you very much. But I cannot setup the dhcp server correctly. I followed the doc but it's not working. Can anyone provide a step-by-step setup instruction. Your help will be appreciated.

NetworkMeUp
just joined

Wed May 21, 2008 10:13 pm

Thank you very much. But I cannot setup the dhcp server correctly. I followed the doc but it's not working. Can anyone provide a step-by-step setup instruction. Your help will be appreciated.
Here is a step-by-step guide (with pictures) to accomplish either going wireless or to set up your router.

Also, if that doesn't help, here is a list of Hot-To Videos to help as well.

The best solution is to only use one router. If you need more wired ports, use a hub or a switch.

If you must use two routers, there are a couple things to try.

*Some routers can be configured to behave as a switch instead of a router. This is often called "bridge-mode", and involves disabling the NAT and DHCP functions on the router.

*If your modem is acting as a router, another option is to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance switching your modem out of router mode and into bridge mode.

*Another option is to connect the 2nd router to the 1st (where the first is the modem/router combo or VoIP hardware) then connect all of the computers through the 2nd router.