MikroTik App

cpresto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

bonding vs NStreme2

Mon May 26, 2008 8:15 pm

Hi all,
thinking to pt-to-pt links, what is beter solution?
NStreme2 provides full duplex, bonding seems to offer better perfomance.
Is it possible to build a "comparison matrix" based on pratical experiences? E.G. Parameters to be considered: throughput, latency, reliability, range

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: bonding vs NStreme2

Tue May 27, 2008 9:07 am

Bonding provides failover, Dual Nstreme not.
Dual Nstreme is easier in configuration.

antenman

Tue May 27, 2008 1:26 pm

Bonding provides failover, Dual Nstreme not.
Dual Nstreme is easier in configuration.
How stable is Dual Nstreme in long distance (30+ km) ptp links with identical equipment on both sides ?

MyThoughts
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 28, 2008 6:45 pm

From my experience Nstreme2 will be much faster then bonding, however as mentioned earlier Nstreme2 has absolutely no failover.

To answer the question on stability though, in all my Nstreme2 and Nsteme deployments they have been substainally less stable then a non-nstreme link. I could never explain it other then when configured in Nstreme links would re-associate 2-3 times a day, comprared to when in non-nstreme mode links would stay active without any reconnects for weeks at a time and sometimes months.

On a side note Nstreme has almost always provided a greater max throughput but at the cost of responiveness, my 5.8 GHz backhaul links typically have 2-3 ms ping times, and under heavy load I may see them go up to 20ms, with Nstreme turned on the same link averages around 35ms and will go up to 120ms. This does not appear to be processor related as CPU usage with Nstreme on has never gone above 70%.

The stability and responsiveness issues have led me to avoid Nstreme and I am eager to see the issues fixed as I would like to disable the CDMA backoff function of my radios. I am always retesting Nstreme as new versions are released, my last results were based off the v3.9 release of RouterOS.

Cheers