normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wireless FAQ

Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 pm

We made a simple wireless FAQ here:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_FAQ

let us know if there is anything else that needs to be clarified in a similar way. Note that the full manual is coming also, so this should be kept simple

for suggestions and questions, use this forum, or the TALK page of the wiki. Do not write nonrelated stuff into the article itself.

ghmorris
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Wireless FAQ

Thu May 29, 2008 1:31 am

Very useful info!

Thanks!!

George

Gunzoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:12 am

Very nice Normis-long time coming.

ilius168
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Nice one!! :D

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:25 am

Hi,

what about a standard ap/client configuration for WISPs with discussed additions.
There are a lot of things to decide:
- preferred channel width 5/10/20/40 MHz
- nstream on/off
- movement strategy how to change config on all clients of an ap
(e.g. to switch a non nstream segment to a nstream segment without downtime)
- rts/cts
- fast setup of a new assembled clients
- how to update all clients

So some sort of best practice guide for WISPs.

Stefan

randallr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:29 am

I had never compared the frames / hw frames before. I'm noticing the TX comparision follows pretty close to what I expected 1.6 x on a good link, 2.1 x on a not so great link.

However, the RX comparison is way, way out of whack. The RX HW is 2200 x higher on one that I looked at, but always way higher, even on great links.

To determine links, do I need to only compare TX Frame numbers on each end?

Randall

beatblam
just joined

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi
I would like to ask for help guys.

I have a basestation with a RB333 configured with 3xR52 cards for three antennas running on different channels i.e 1,3 and 11. but what happens is that there's one card that registers 13 client and then it shows that some client's signal strength has gone up to -110dbm keeps fluctuating and then when I change the TX power to card rate from default it changes for some hours or even days then brings the same signal strength over and over again.

I have tried to upgrade the OS from 3.16 to 3.24 stable version but still without sucess. please assist guys what do I do with the link.

Clients Premises Equipment is NS2.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi
I would like to ask for help guys.

I have a basestation with a RB333 configured with 3xR52 cards for three antennas running on different channels i.e 1,3 and 11. but what happens is that there's one card that registers 13 client and then it shows that some client's signal strength has gone up to -110dbm keeps fluctuating and then when I change the TX power to card rate from default it changes for some hours or even days then brings the same signal strength over and over again.

I have tried to upgrade the OS from 3.16 to 3.24 stable version but still without sucess. please assist guys what do I do with the link.

Clients Premises Equipment is NS2.
please make a new thread instead of posting off-topic

AnRkey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:30 pm

let us know if there is anything else that needs to be clarified in a similar way. Note that the full manual is coming also, so this should be kept simple

for suggestions and questions, use this forum, or the TALK page of the wiki. Do not write nonrelated stuff into the article itself.
Wow!!! thanks this is awesome!

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:04 pm

What sort of practical limits apply to the number of clients which can be simultaneously using a single radio card ?

Anyone got any typical numbers ?

Nick.

nder
just joined

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:10 pm

THANKS

Jamesy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:49 am

Appreciated the link. thanks

enuro12
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed May 04, 2011 7:31 pm

I feel much less noobish now, thanks!

lazerusrm
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 07, 2011 11:30 am

is this Hijack thread day or what?

FAQ is nice. Great to see an explanation on this. Would love to see some examples of usage of each feature, for instance, Frame lifetime. --What the value actually represents.. that kind of thing could be useful for tuning links. also things like Burst Time, preamble mode, and noise floor threshold.. some of these are much less well known/documented.

I know however this is supposed to be simplified, but perhaps in the manual would be worth having examples there for each feature. Help people grasp concepts a little better.

-Brad

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat May 07, 2011 4:53 pm

I know however this is supposed to be simplified, but perhaps in the manual would be worth having examples there for each feature. Help people grasp concepts a little better.

-Brad
i have similar opinions . i am too confused with NV2 configs and the HT settings HT AMPDU Priorities.

Secondly i want to see good examples of Data Rates configurations.
I thought having fixed data rates to 6 mbps in 5 Ghz band wld actually give me a more robust link but i practically was wrong. The pthroughput went bad and so did the thruput

On the other hand i see a guy who had some config where he had unchecked 6,9,18,24 mbps and had checked the others was having a throughput of 6 mbps. on a 10 km link
More Examples and clarifications please.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 07, 2011 6:02 pm

i have similar opinions . i am too confused with NV2 configs and the HT settings HT AMPDU Priorities.
NV2 is proprietary tdma that works with all 802.11a/b/g/n links. HT and HT AMPDU etc. is only for links with ´n´ (or mimo) availability.
If you can't find all info of need in MT wiki manual than try to google it. Most technology used in MT-ROs is standard 802.11 technology that has many explanations and white papers explainations on the internet published.
Secondly i want to see good examples of Data Rates configurations.
I thought having fixed data rates to 6 mbps in 5 Ghz band wld actually give me a more robust link but i practically was wrong. The pthroughput went bad and so did the thruput
The ´rule of thumb´ in througput versus data rates is 50% of the data rate is what a one way transmission of user data could be.
If signals are strong enough you should try higher data rates to acheive higher througputs.
Basically the ´best practise´is to find a data rate the link is still stable (doesn't drop back to a lower level under traffic load conditions) and set that rate as the maximum. Set a 2nd rate one step below and always set the lowest (6mb) to make sure basic rates always connect to have radios speak under all conditions.

NV2 is a little different in that respect that some, including me, on this forum sense it just works better with only one data rate set. Even de basic rate the same as the supported data rate.
On the other hand i see a guy who had some config where he had unchecked 6,9,18,24 mbps and had checked the others was having a throughput of 6 mbps. on a 10 km link
More Examples and clarifications please.
That makes sense: He has 12mb checked and 50% of that is ...... ? :o

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun May 08, 2011 6:44 am

i understand that HT and HT AMPDU are settings for Wireless N (Mimo) but the problem is that I am getting a max of 3-4 mbps for less than 2 km link whreas someone in the post has shown me a 90 mbps bandwidth test for similar distance. My LOS is very clear. Frq. is also unused at that locations. I have upgraded the ROS to 5.0 How do increase the bandwidth. even the radios do not connect at more than 54/6 mbps. the 6 mbps by itself keeps changing to 54 mbps and under load the ccq goes down to 6% -10%. Without load I find the CCQ to be 109/97.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 09, 2011 3:22 am

i understand that HT and HT AMPDU are settings for Wireless N (Mimo) but the problem is that I am getting a max of 3-4 mbps for less than 2 km link whreas someone in the post has shown me a 90 mbps bandwidth test for similar distance. My LOS is very clear. Frq. is also unused at that locations. I have upgraded the ROS to 5.0 How do increase the bandwidth. even the radios do not connect at more than 54/6 mbps. the 6 mbps by itself keeps changing to 54 mbps and under load the ccq goes down to 6% -10%. Without load I find the CCQ to be 109/97.
Well, 90mbps on 2km is possible yes. But to see what your problems is you have to supply much more info. Do an export command in the console for the ap radio and client and copy and paste it in this forum.
Also show us the signals of the registered units.

yuefy
just joined

Mon May 23, 2011 7:28 pm

very very good!!
thank you!

laithmikrotik

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:29 pm

thank you very much

katherineeobryan
just joined

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:20 am

Basically the wireless bandwidth and the security is slow by the distance , coverage as well as the using . have any drop and speed criticism.

mikepratt

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:37 am

Normis, as to the last topic - the instability of nv2 - I had a problem ticket I have been working with Uldis, and I can say that it is much more stable with 5.14. I still get disconnects on one particular link, but they last less than a second, and seem to occur mostly when there's a lot of data (night 'noise' video streams). Power is way down (5dB on an OmniTik/SXT link) yielding -60, but still dropping 4-8 times a day. Other links up for 4-7+ days. I hope to see more improvement here, as nv2 is a real game changer for these PtmP backhaul links.

christyjame
just joined

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Seniors,

Thanks.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Nv2 wireless link disconnects very often

When Nv2 wireless link experiences disconnections and in log section most of the messages are 'control frame timeout', then make sure that the router's RouterOS version is at least v5.14. v5.14 introduced several improvements for the Nv2 wireless protocol. Second suggestion is to lower the transmit output power of the wireless cards if the signal of the link is strong. We suggest to use tx-power-mode=card-rates for lowering the tx-power of the wireless card. If the problem continues try to use different wireless frequency that might have less interference. If that also didn't help, please contact support@mikrotik.com with a support output file from the effected AP and the Station which are made after those disconnections.
No mention of co-location interference or RF screening of AP's or Ptp links which prevents NV2 disconnects.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:22 am

No mention of co-location interference or RF screening of AP's or Ptp links which prevents NV2 disconnects.
What do you exactly mean with "co-location interference"?

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:26 am

What do you exactly mean with "co-location interference"?
Several AP's or Ptp's in close proximity on a mast.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:33 am

The above document was meant as FAQ for RouterOS software configuration issues. We currently do not have any hardware related FAQ for wireless tuning. Maybe in the future we will make also something like that, covering antenna types, amplifiers, line of sight, fresnel zone etc.

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:13 pm

The above document was meant as FAQ for RouterOS software configuration issues. We currently do not have any hardware related FAQ for wireless tuning. Maybe in the future we will make also something like that, covering antenna types, amplifiers, line of sight, fresnel zone etc.
Ok - why not then title it as Wireless FAQ (Software)

ulikroessin
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Really helpful FAQ. Thank you.
You should continue and complete it.
Is there planned such a FAQ-List for Usermanager also?

Regards

Uli

cybernetus

Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:57 am

Really helpfull :)

Thanks for this :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Basiley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:15 pm

few options, in new ROS and RB - not covered by Wiki, sadly, but it quite handy/helpful.
thank you for making it !
could be nice to see some fundamental advices in Wiki too - like how more handy can become purchasing 12Db/15Db/18Db antenna for ~$30-$70 rather than struggling with Wifi-chips and setting, frequently for WAY better result. heck, even tiny 8Db antenna for $18 can make BIG difference, compared to used in some devices !!
drawback - need to do some cabling. but thats not problem any way[actually finding good place for antenna - is more tricky :]

[off-topic]
p.s.
is there ANY way to render PDF WITH examples(quite handy, btw, sometimes, as much as rest of most Wiki Pages) from Wiki ?]
[/off-topic]

vpritiskovic
just joined

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:14 pm

There is no simple explanation nor guide for setting up a (dumb) universal repater mode on MT repating another nonMT AP?

Tnx

pixelkop

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:31 pm

nice info thnak you...

fibernetwork
just joined

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:17 am

Great! thanks.

slavik
just joined

Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:40 am

please include information about station with wpa2-enterprise (with login and password) into this faq, is it supported and how to configure this feature.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37879
inside security profile we have some PEAP related stuff:
eap-methods=eap-ttls-mschapv2 mschapv2-username="peap-user1" mschapv2-password="P@ssword123"
but it doesn't work - "lost connection, 802.1x authentication timeout"

mahmoudrifai
just joined

Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:21 am

We are planning to setup a point-to-point wireless link using two SEXTANT G 5HPnD. Need advise on the following points.

1. How much maximum practical distance is supported in an urban area?
2. How much bandwidth is supported in this case?
3. Is line of sight must?
4. Any other points to consider?

fibernetwork
just joined

Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:28 am

useful! thanks for sharing.

Zwodka
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:16 pm

How/where can I set the Preamble Long or Short under CapsMan?
Or it is possible?

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:22 pm

Very useful info, if you have more plz shear with us

Thanks a lot

Tambakti

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks

This was very useful, and I'm looking forward to see more and more detailed FAQ.

ajack46

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:35 am

Good share quite helpful.

wowbufer
just joined

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Hello,

So I have currently Hap lite as router. his eth4 is PPPoE server and SXT lite5 on my roof via that pppoe port, Loco M5 UBNT is reciever on 0.4km link then goes via LAN cable to another SXT lite 5 which is again transmitter and last SXT on 1.2km link is reciever which works as router and PPPoE Client, all other devices are in bridge. So i bought RB2011 UiAS 2HnD-IN and try to set it up insted of haP lite, my current router. but i have problems with that UBNT devies in middle.

I can't mac telnet from hap lite, or SXT to other SXT's after ubnt, and i can't mac telnet from pppoe client to hap lite.... So definitly ubnt is problem, anyone have any idea how to solve that issue?

Everything works but i can't install new Router RB2011 because PPPoE connection is not establish. after i tried 5 times I get mac-telnet is not working. even If i reset hap lit to factory settings i can't get PPPoE connection, ONLY if i restore from backup hapLite then PPPoE connection again works.

I know I'm not really good at explaining but I hope you understand.

benibilme
just joined

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:06 am

Please include wpa2 epa and usermanager usage

minhcoi
just joined

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:26 am

HI,
I am using RB951Ui-2Hnd and I`m seting up Hotspot. I can't login the 2nd user same name with 1st one (it said that no more session).
How can i fix that?
Thank you for your support.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:51 pm

In Mikrotik Wireless device like SXT 5ac can we run OSPF ?
Of course it's normal ROS.

purplecloud
just joined

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:41 am

The link seems to be broken. Is the wiki post still there?

timothykarpente
just joined

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Great, they are looking concise knowledge base.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi Normis,
Perhaps others seeking information will not be so frustrated at not finding out basic info or be told information that is over my head..............
What I couldn't find is
Per device
#SSIDs per Radio and
#VLANs per Radio
Such as for
cAP-AC
hAP-AC2
wAP

I appreciate the brochures and site info noted the number of streams, CPU, chip etc but besides not stating explicity if 2.5=300 or 450mbps or 5=867 or 1300mbps........... was annoying
The show stopper - due to the information above lacking in literature, I am purchasing ubiquiti products........ :-(
It is entirely possible that I missed an obvious source and dont mind being the goat, and you can point me in the right direction. Otherwise, its a gaping black hole that needs to be filled.
Last edited by anav on Tue May 08, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 am

Perhaps others seeking information will not be so frustrated at not finding out basic info or be told useless garbage info from forum users..............
1) #SSID per radio is not limited as far as I know. (I had 20 of them once, just for fun...) However, more SSIDs = more time required for beacons = less time for actual communication = less total throughput. That is simple math applicable for every device.
2) #VLAN per radio is ambiguous question - If you talk about physical radio, then question is irrelevant. One radio can host one or more interfaces (you call those SSIDs). VLANs are always related to interface, not to actual physical radio. Interface is usually set up as either trunk or edge. If it is trunk, limit is 4095 (practically unlimited). If it is edge, it is usually exactly 1 VLAN (well, could be more with specific settings but that is not the point I guess)

I guess you are trying to understand if 1 physical radio can have multiple SSIDs, where each SSID has its own VLAN ID. In that case answer is yes - practically unlimited amount of SSIDs, each with own VLAN ID can be set up. This is Mikrotik. Not some consumer-grade toy :)

3) bronchure should not state things like "2.4=450Mbps". That is oversimplified and imprecise statement.

It is important to understand that setting up Mikrotik devices requires some technical knowledge, same as Cisco or Juniper. I mean absolutely no disrespect, but from your questions I feel you are not an IT guy. Even as a big fan of Mikrotik, I must support your decision to buy some more simple device. Using complicated devices without proper skill may lead to frustration. Frustration leads to anger, anger leads to hate and before you realize, you will join the dark side.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 am

Thanks vern, input is welcome and I am beginning to understand the term virtual APs. I just had not heard that term before.
I also understand why other vendors put a cap on the number of VAPs at four per radio per example as the wifi math points to anything beyond that as less than useful.
Please spare me about the great wifi by mikrotik as the recent wifi issues are not becoming of a product release (after supposed QC, professional software test be it DTE or ETE, and possible beta test as well). Quite true I am not an IT guy, but an old dog can learn, some more slowly then others........
This is all good news, so that I can place my order for some more gear ( a second hex, one or two switches depending upon whether or not I get 2x cAP-AC or 1xcAP and 1xhAP ac2.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 08, 2018 8:42 pm

Normis, is there anyway to include vecernik87's post#12 to be included somewhere (maybe in the FAQ) or wiki somewhere on the vlan/ssid setup on RouterOS.
Its very good and helpful. (referenced thread is viewtopic.php?f=7&t=134142 )

bartmann
just joined

Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 am

Hello, we found in latest ROS versions there are two options in wireless access list interface - any and all. What is difference between these two options?

July666
just joined

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:31 am

This share is very helpful. Thanks!

alpionscop
just joined

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:12 pm

am starting a new company and its business module is delivering the adsl service wirelessly ! i know it may be weird or new .. but in my country the adsl service comes with a good data capacity about 200GB and unlimited in another ISP .. in the other hand wireless service and 4g so expensive with a little data capacity 20 or 30 GB !! the problem which we would like t solve that you can't get more the 2 or 3 Mb speed for the adsl if your more than a mile from the telecom center in each town or city! so we like to open a business for who want to get his adsl connection wirelessly .. so my question is how can i merge more than 1 adsl as example 10 or 20 or even 100 into a single wireless network and each end point user get his share or a good connection ? and if that can't work how can we deliver a per to per connection from the user's adsl modem which will be close to the telecom center to his home ?

for more understanding am not starting ISP company ! i just want to deliver the service to the end user "Wirelessly" !! if i have to install an AP for each user ! this going to cost and fill almost every tower !! imagine a 100 AP for each sector .. my plan is to make a close enough office for each telecom center which is less than 300f so i get the best Adsl service as provided .. then deliver it wirelessly! .. this is my idea .. Thanks

Ljubo
just joined

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi,
Please can someone tell me what is real TCP bandwidth with DynaDish 5 at around 2,5-3km ?

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi,
Please can someone tell me what is real TCP bandwidth with DynaDish 5 at around 2,5-3km ?
Depends on link conditions
- spectrum usage
- eirp
- LOS ( Line of Sight)

Please tell Is your Minimum

Ljubo
just joined

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:38 am

Hi mistry7,

Currently i am using QRT5 and i have about 100/100 Mbps, but sometime upload is faster than download but i can not solve it at all.
I do not have a problem with Line of Sight all the points are visible.
Do not ask for a minimum we all want more :)
I'm interested in the expected 2.5-3 km speed with Dyna Dish 5 or maybe maybe another antenna / router for PTP maybe QRT-5ac or?

Ljubo
just joined

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:11 pm

So no one is able to provide realistic information for Dyna Dish and QRT 5ac speed

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:56 pm

So no one is able to provide realistic information for Dyna Dish and QRT 5ac speed
There are too many variables to just give you an answer like that... Starting with measuring the speed from routers attached behind the antena will free the cpu of the antena to pass the traffic and not at the same time to produce the bandwidth test data.....

Speeds are a factor of the signal strength compared to the noise level. The higher the ratio the better connection rate you get and these predict the max. data that can be transported over the link.
That data includes also overhead and if somewhere in your line other stuff is not tuned properly you'll loose data and thus loose speed...

To get anyone interested in giving you some advice you need to make a telnet dump of all wireless configs on both devices and also a scan taken from both.

Best you could do is read up a bit on the ins and outs of fine tuning radio links....

Ljubo
just joined

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:18 pm

Ty WirelessRudy,

Ok, I now use on main point incoming link CCR1009 and have 2 FC link one 500/500 and other is 150/150 but I expect from main point to office 2 point much more than now with QRT5.
My question if now have around 100/100 how many I will get with Dyna Dish or QRT 5ac.
Measure.JPG
QRT5_1_MainPoint.JPG
QRT5_2_SecondPoint.JPG
QRT5_3_ThirdPoint.JPG
QRT5_4_FourPoint.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Ty WirelessRudy,

Ok, I now use on main point incoming link CCR1009 and have 2 FC link one 500/500 and other is 150/150 but I expect from main point to office 2 point much more than now with QRT5.
My question if now have around 100/100 how many I will get with Dyna Dish or QRT 5ac.
Given your high signals and relative good CCQ's any 'ac' radio might give you higher MCS and thus more throughput.
I personally think the QRT's are better then the Dyna's and also cheaper. But since they still sell these I think others might think different....

gallegos09
just joined

Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:00 am

Hola buenas noches, tal vez alguien me pueda dar una mano. Tengo un enlace de 64 Km y todo funciona de maravilla. Hoy quize instalar uno de 59 Km y los niveles de señal no bajaban de -77 dbm.
Aparte alguien me puede indicar que significa Signal to Noise? Un valor alto es mejor/peor?
Tengo linea de vista al 100% tengo dos torres una a 60 metros y otra de 21 metros ubicada en un cerro de 500 metros de altura.
Los equipos que utilizo son netmetal 5
Gracias por sus sugerencias.
Saludos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 pm

@gallegos09; Este foro esta en Inglès. Pero debes leer un poco sobre la tecnologia. S/N debe ser lo mas alto que puede pero todo baja de 30dB esta muy mal.
Para hacer mas señal con la misma configuracion puedes poner un canal de 40 o de 20Mhz solo. Sube el nivel de señal, aumenta el S/N y puede ser la capaciad de su enlace sube por eso tambien.
Pero es mejor a montar antena mas gordo tambien (34dBi por ejemplo).

This forum is in English. You should readup a bit over the used tecnology. S/N has to be as big as possible but any S/N lower then 30dB is not very good...
To get more signal on the same setup you can reduce the signal bandwidht from 80 to 40Mhz or even 20Mhs. It will increase the signal, ingrease the S/N and thus probably the capacity of the channel as well.
But it is best to fit a bigger antenna, like a 34dBi for instance.

os62
just joined

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:30 pm

Would the community be able to recommend proven "speedy" WLAN client cards?

In my case, I've got a hAP ac, and client machines with miniPCIe "half" slots;
I've got very good performance with AC-8265 (M.2 card from Intel); however I'd really like the same (or better :lol: ) performance off of machines with "the old" miniPCIe. Preferably requiring only 3 antennas, as client machines so equipped.

RussianYankee
just joined

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:49 pm

I have a follow-up question regarding this: "Will an amplifier improve the speed on my link?"
I have extremely densed dual channel home WiFi neighborhood due to the COVID-19 quarantine, I have MirtoTik hAP Series ac ID RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT

In this crowded environment neigher of the two wifi radio bands let my device connect to my network. I keep receiving push-messages, but I can's connect to Internet. I have updated the firmware recently. What else can I tweak to get back online? Thanks in advance!
WiFiHotSpots5G.jpg
WiFiHotSpots2.4G.jpg

gnro

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi,

Could anyone explain in what units (and what are the limits) for tx-power from channel config in CAPsMAN?
ex.:
/caps-man channel
add band=5ghz-a/n/ac control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=XXXX frequency=5240 name=Canal-5G reselect-interval=1h skip-dfs-channels=yes tx-power=20
add band=2ghz-g/n control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=XX frequency=2462 name=Canal-2G reselect-interval=1h tx-power=10

In the wiki https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CAPsMAN_tips there is only a recommendation to
Decrese Tx power
but not units or range for it.

gnro

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:40 pm

Found the limits by entering wrong values:
/caps-man channel> add band=2ghz-g/n control-channel-width=20mhz extension-channel=XX frequency=2462 name=Canal-2G reselect-interval=1h tx-power=90
value of tx-power out of range (-30..40)
But I still do not understand in what units tx-power is expressed. Or maybe my question is better expressed as:
What is the relation between Mikrotik tx-power setting and real power output in dBm or mW?
For approximate conversion between mW and dBm, we can use the rules from https://www.digitalairwireless.com/arti ... de-simples

NotAdad
just joined

Just got a mikrotik router (using RouterOd 7.1) How do i extend the range?

Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:04 am

Is there a possible way extend the range? (Not using external antennas(for now))

If so how?

gnro

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:53 pm

Max range should be at max power, but this is true only for line of sight between devices. This is not true if you are indoor.

maks750i

Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:37 pm

hi i have mant box 15s and i live in serbia but i using superchanell.how i can limit total tx power with all rate fixed for 100mw per chain.do i must type 20dbm or 23 dbm in all rate fixed.thanks

YO3IPT
just joined

Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:50 pm

I want to ask a question related to the standards 802.11d and 802.11h
I have a deployment of Mikrotik AP's on 5GHz that need to support the operation of some WiFi VoIP phones.
The phones are Spectralink 8440, and they have a restriction on operating on 5GHz DFS channels. According to the deployment guide if you want to use the DFS channels then the AP must support 802.11h - Channel Announcement feature. If this is not broadcast in the beacon, then the phone will refuse to join with the AP. And this is exactly what is happening with my deployment. The phones see the AP's, but will not connect.
If I change channels to the non DFS portion, then they work with no problem.
Using these channels however is not a option because the spectrum is very crowded in that region (at least 6-7 overlapping wlans.... - i guess everyone wants to avoid the DFS potential problems), and the deployment is covering some exterior areas as well. I tried all possibilities to no avail. I used regulatory-domain with the proper country code, frequency auto and 20MHz channels, and scan list adjusted to use only the DFS part of the band.
All other devices connect perfectly, everything works, except for the phones....
If there is one setting I missed, maybe someone has an idea and rescues me :) If not, maybe Mikrotik can add this feature in a future update, apparently it is needed on some deployments.

Thank you everyone

gableoley
just joined

Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:31 pm

Hello every one, just starting in mikrotik world, I have a RB951G-2HnD but my wireless is too slow, is there a way to connect an 5g external ap to one of its ports but slave to local lan? I mean so it gets the addresses of local LAN. Thanks in advance. I have two isp's and third port it's LAN

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:40 pm

Hello every one, just starting in mikrotik world, I have a RB951G-2HnD but my wireless is too slow, is there a way to connect an 5g external ap to one of its ports but slave to local lan?
Yes, exactly as you describe.

gableoley
just joined

Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:03 pm

Hello every one, just starting in mikrotik world, I have a RB951G-2HnD but my wireless is too slow, is there a way to connect an 5g external ap to one of its ports but slave to local lan?
Do you have a sample configuration? please.

gableoley
just joined

Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:10 pm

Ok I just have to disable ap dhcp so it gets local network dhcp addresses, thanks.

nvmd
just joined

Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:22 pm

What's "Wireless 1" and "Wireless 2"?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:59 pm

What's "Wireless 1" and "Wireless 2"?
Depends on the context you ask the question for.
For most devices, wireless 1 = 2GHz radio, and wireless 2 = 5GHz radio.
With Wifiwave2 this was renamed to wifi1 and wif2 resp.

BUT to make it super sweet, with AX devices they REVERSED the numbering :shock:
Wifi1= 5GHz
Wifi2 = 2.4 Ghz

So why your question ? For what device ? For what context ?

nvmd
just joined

Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:07 am

https://mikrotik.com/products/compare/C ... PaxD2HPaxD
This terminology hinders more than it helps.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:20 am

It has 2 radios.
What's the problem ?

Ask decent and to the point questions if you want answers...

nvmd
just joined

Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:14 pm

Wait, what? 2 radios as in 2 completely independent access points? Why?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:23 am

Because 5GHz has much more channels (19 or around), so wider (combined 20/40/80MHz wide) channels with more capacity can be formed, while 2.4GHz has only 3 or 4 non-overlapping 20MHz channels.
As you probably know well.

But quite some devices only support 2.4 GHz.

A radio is either in the 2.4GHz band or 5 GHz band (also the needed antenna size is different (different wavelength), and 802.11ac is only on 5 GHz).

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:18 am

external ap to one of its ports but slave to local lan? I mean so it gets the addresses of local LAN.
Any home AP will do : hAP ac, cAP ac, cAP XL ac, wAP ac, hAP ac², hAP ac³, hAP ax², hAP ax³ ... and I might have forgotten some. (The AC Lite's have limited speed in ethernet and 5GHz streams)

Config is ethernet and WLAN/Wifi interfaces all as ports to the bridge. It will make those devices just "ethernet-wifi adaptors".

"WISP ap" as QuickSet , set to mode Bridge, would be some starting point. But avoid QuickSet if you can.

aspen63

Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:23 am

Please help sort out my misunderstandings in configuring wave2 access point. I would like to have 3 subnets: for wired clients, wireless and guest wireless ones. For each I created DHCP server on the main router. AP has all ether interfaces bridged and wireless ones are created as capsman controlled along with guest slave interfaces. All 4 wireless radios are visible but connected wireless clients (on either intranet or guest networks) do not obtain IP addresses unless I bridge all wireless interfaces with ether ones but then all devices are on the same LAN network. How to correctly separate them?

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:54 pm

BUT to make it super sweet, with AX devices they REVERSED the numbering :shock:
Wifi1= 5GHz
Wifi2 = 2.4 Ghz
Only the hAP ax², correct again in the hAP ax³. ?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:16 pm

No, same there.

Only on AX Lite it's wifi1 for 2.4GHz itf but there is only one radio :lol:

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:29 pm

So reference to Mikrotik Products ... with wrong information ????

viewtopic.php?p=998594#p983462 .... comparing ax² (left) with ax³ (right)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:55 pm

What can I say ?

Wrong comparison, yes.
On the product page for AX2 it is shown correctly (first radio 5GHz, 2nd one 2.4GHz)

2023-04-26_19-54-25.jpg

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:38 pm

I do not read "wifi1" and "wifi2" (or wlan1 and wlan2) on specs.
Can be on any arbitrary order.

tools370
just joined

Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:22 am

Hey Normis thanks this is awesome

Blessing
just joined

Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:11 am

Hello please I have a serious challenge. I am running a p2p link on two sxtsq lite5 on a distance not more than 300m outdoor, but my ping replies are in hundreds of milliseconds. I am using the bridge to link security cameras to a control office. I have tried to modify antenna gain to 0 on both the AP and station SXT but I am still getting high latency. Cameras whose traffic are routed via this link is skipping frames while others on ubnt nanostations are doing perfectly well. I really need your help. Thanks in anticipation 🙏

Skinfaxi
just joined

Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:22 am

Thanks for the FAQ.

I am missing one point: Its quite hard to find any information about the antennas that Mikrotik uses on their produkt. Like the hAP ac2 and ax3 has external antennas. I am not abel to find a diagram of their broadcasting, information how to tweak them for best performance and no information about alternativ antennas or if i simply can use antennacabels to find a better place for the antenna when i am unable to place the router att the best place for the antennas.

I find a lot of (mainly unanswerd) questions in forums, but upp till now i havn´t found good information. I will start a new topic for this.

But i think this might be a question worth to discuss in a Wireless- FAQ.