Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:58 am

Short and smart, thanks!
Regards, Rodger
Developer of wisepick.org

timothykarpente
just joined

Re: Wireless FAQ

Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Great, they are looking concise knowledge base.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi Normis,
Perhaps others seeking information will not be so frustrated at not finding out basic info or be told information that is over my head..............
What I couldn't find is
Per device
#SSIDs per Radio and
#VLANs per Radio
Such as for
cAP-AC
hAP-AC2
wAP

I appreciate the brochures and site info noted the number of streams, CPU, chip etc but besides not stating explicity if 2.5=300 or 450mbps or 5=867 or 1300mbps........... was annoying
The show stopper - due to the information above lacking in literature, I am purchasing ubiquiti products........ :-(
It is entirely possible that I missed an obvious source and dont mind being the goat, and you can point me in the right direction. Otherwise, its a gaping black hole that needs to be filled.
Last edited by anav on Tue May 08, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vecernik87

Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 am

Perhaps others seeking information will not be so frustrated at not finding out basic info or be told useless garbage info from forum users..............
1) #SSID per radio is not limited as far as I know. (I had 20 of them once, just for fun...) However, more SSIDs = more time required for beacons = less time for actual communication = less total throughput. That is simple math applicable for every device.
2) #VLAN per radio is ambiguous question - If you talk about physical radio, then question is irrelevant. One radio can host one or more interfaces (you call those SSIDs). VLANs are always related to interface, not to actual physical radio. Interface is usually set up as either trunk or edge. If it is trunk, limit is 4095 (practically unlimited). If it is edge, it is usually exactly 1 VLAN (well, could be more with specific settings but that is not the point I guess)

I guess you are trying to understand if 1 physical radio can have multiple SSIDs, where each SSID has its own VLAN ID. In that case answer is yes - practically unlimited amount of SSIDs, each with own VLAN ID can be set up. This is Mikrotik. Not some consumer-grade toy :)

3) bronchure should not state things like "2.4=450Mbps". That is oversimplified and imprecise statement.

It is important to understand that setting up Mikrotik devices requires some technical knowledge, same as Cisco or Juniper. I mean absolutely no disrespect, but from your questions I feel you are not an IT guy. Even as a big fan of Mikrotik, I must support your decision to buy some more simple device. Using complicated devices without proper skill may lead to frustration. Frustration leads to anger, anger leads to hate and before you realize, you will join the dark side.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 am

Thanks vern, input is welcome and I am beginning to understand the term virtual APs. I just had not heard that term before.
I also understand why other vendors put a cap on the number of VAPs at four per radio per example as the wifi math points to anything beyond that as less than useful.
Please spare me about the great wifi by mikrotik as the recent wifi issues are not becoming of a product release (after supposed QC, professional software test be it DTE or ETE, and possible beta test as well). Quite true I am not an IT guy, but an old dog can learn, some more slowly then others........
This is all good news, so that I can place my order for some more gear ( a second hex, one or two switches depending upon whether or not I get 2x cAP-AC or 1xcAP and 1xhAP ac2.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 08, 2018 8:42 pm

Normis, is there anyway to include vecernik87's post#12 to be included somewhere (maybe in the FAQ) or wiki somewhere on the vlan/ssid setup on RouterOS.
Its very good and helpful. (referenced thread is viewtopic.php?f=7&t=134142 )

bartmann
just joined

Thu May 24, 2018 11:12 am

Hello, we found in latest ROS versions there are two options in wireless access list interface - any and all. What is difference between these two options?

July666
just joined

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:31 am

This share is very helpful. Thanks!

kyliewilliams
just joined

Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 pm

So appreciated blog post you have shared here. I really got all useful blog from your website at my always visit. https://www.webhostingonedollar.com/bla ... deals.html get here best hosting products at a reasonable price. Thank you.

alpionscop
just joined

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:12 pm

am starting a new company and its business module is delivering the adsl service wirelessly ! i know it may be weird or new .. but in my country the adsl service comes with a good data capacity about 200GB and unlimited in another ISP .. in the other hand wireless service and 4g so expensive with a little data capacity 20 or 30 GB !! the problem which we would like t solve that you can't get more the 2 or 3 Mb speed for the adsl if your more than a mile from the telecom center in each town or city! so we like to open a business for who want to get his adsl connection wirelessly .. so my question is how can i merge more than 1 adsl as example 10 or 20 or even 100 into a single wireless network and each end point user get his share or a good connection ? and if that can't work how can we deliver a per to per connection from the user's adsl modem which will be close to the telecom center to his home ?

for more understanding am not starting ISP company ! i just want to deliver the service to the end user "Wirelessly" !! if i have to install an AP for each user ! this going to cost and fill almost every tower !! imagine a 100 AP for each sector .. my plan is to make a close enough office for each telecom center which is less than 300f so i get the best Adsl service as provided .. then deliver it wirelessly! .. this is my idea .. Thanks

davidgreams
just joined

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi, All

I'm just new to this website and new to the thread as well.

I'm a networking enthusiast, and I just noticed a few things in my college where I have my concerns so that I can ask this to my superirors. If you can able to help on this, I can raise a question from the end.

How can I tell where the wireless network is available on campus?

Ljubo
just joined

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi,
Please can someone tell me what is real TCP bandwidth with DynaDish 5 at around 2,5-3km ?

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Hi,
Please can someone tell me what is real TCP bandwidth with DynaDish 5 at around 2,5-3km ?
Depends on link conditions
- spectrum usage
- eirp
- LOS ( Line of Sight)

Please tell Is your Minimum

Ljubo
just joined

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:38 am

Hi mistry7,

Currently i am using QRT5 and i have about 100/100 Mbps, but sometime upload is faster than download but i can not solve it at all.
I do not have a problem with Line of Sight all the points are visible.
Do not ask for a minimum we all want more :)
I'm interested in the expected 2.5-3 km speed with Dyna Dish 5 or maybe maybe another antenna / router for PTP maybe QRT-5ac or?

Ljubo
just joined

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:11 pm

So no one is able to provide realistic information for Dyna Dish and QRT 5ac speed

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:56 pm

So no one is able to provide realistic information for Dyna Dish and QRT 5ac speed
There are too many variables to just give you an answer like that... Starting with measuring the speed from routers attached behind the antena will free the cpu of the antena to pass the traffic and not at the same time to produce the bandwidth test data.....

Speeds are a factor of the signal strength compared to the noise level. The higher the ratio the better connection rate you get and these predict the max. data that can be transported over the link.
That data includes also overhead and if somewhere in your line other stuff is not tuned properly you'll loose data and thus loose speed...

To get anyone interested in giving you some advice you need to make a telnet dump of all wireless configs on both devices and also a scan taken from both.

Best you could do is read up a bit on the ins and outs of fine tuning radio links....
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

Ljubo
just joined

Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:18 pm

Ty WirelessRudy,

Ok, I now use on main point incoming link CCR1009 and have 2 FC link one 500/500 and other is 150/150 but I expect from main point to office 2 point much more than now with QRT5.
My question if now have around 100/100 how many I will get with Dyna Dish or QRT 5ac.
Measure.JPG
QRT5_1_MainPoint.JPG
QRT5_2_SecondPoint.JPG
QRT5_3_ThirdPoint.JPG
QRT5_4_FourPoint.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Ty WirelessRudy,

Ok, I now use on main point incoming link CCR1009 and have 2 FC link one 500/500 and other is 150/150 but I expect from main point to office 2 point much more than now with QRT5.
My question if now have around 100/100 how many I will get with Dyna Dish or QRT 5ac.
Given your high signals and relative good CCQ's any 'ac' radio might give you higher MCS and thus more throughput.
I personally think the QRT's are better then the Dyna's and also cheaper. But since they still sell these I think others might think different....
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.