MUM Europe 2020

onowojemma
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Different signal strength

Thu May 29, 2008 12:33 am

Different signal strength

Hi all I have a 20km link when I make side A as AP and scan from side B the signal strength is -59dbi – 62dbi and on the registration at side A is -88dbi -91dbi when I make side B AP and scan from side B the signal strength is -89dbi -91dbi
Making the link to be off and on what could be the cause I have change the card at both end and using R52H card.
Mikrotik! making networking easy

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Different signal strength

Thu May 29, 2008 3:18 am

fresnel zone can do this.

I use pannels instead of grids when this happens

It could also be caused by noise at one end.

onowojemma
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu May 29, 2008 8:55 am

Thanks Equis.
if it is nosies which of the side could it be and what could be done and if fresnel zone that means i should still take my anternal up?
Mikrotik! making networking easy

Schnulch

Thu May 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi,

could well be a problem with fresnel zone as posted above. Mounting antenna higher could help in that case. I would check the cables (on both sides, because if it's hardware, problem might be at Side B, if it's reflection or noise, problem would possibly be near side A)
It could be the sending part of side B as you could receive a good signal there from side A, which tells that side A is sending properly. Scanning from side A the signal from side B is very weak, which means either much less sending power from side B or something in fresnel zone is disturbing your signal a lot (Maybe a rooftop made of metal (perhaps not far from your AP), where signal is reflected, may be a mountain side or similar).

The odds of getting two bad R52h out of four and mounting both bad cards in the same RB are very remote, but not impossible.

1. Check cable and antenna, if you have available, replace with others. Else you could take all your kit from side A and carry it to side B, and vice versa. If the problem occurs on other side after switching the equipment, you have to nail it down to the part of hardware, that's failing (Antenna, cable, card, RB or power supply) If the problem persists at the old location with the swapped hardware, You will know it's an environmental problem like reflection or similar. I would think if it's just noise, you would have a better signal, but very high noise levels (-90 or more), so from my point of view noise is not causing this (If anybody has other experience, please feel free to correct me on this one)

Sincerly
Schnulch