MikroTik App

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

The future? With or without mikrotik? That's the question

Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Hello Mikrotik,

after working several years with ROS and routerboards we had many good times and some bad times with your products. In the past two years I saw that you are disregarding some urgent feature requests of your customers. That means for example CE,ATPC, EU conform DFS, 802.11n. If some of your customer is asking about the features he will hear "We are working about it" or "We have features that are more important". Meanwhile your competitors are able to implement (for example LANCOM) the features are requested by radio-regulation within two month. From my point of view MT is an excelent radio equipment but what shall I do with this equipment if it is illegal to use in EU or will not fullfill the specification (ATPC, DFS2) for using in new markets (EU, 5720-5850 MHz with 4 W EIRP) respectively new long line customers. From my point of view most of EU-ISP's are in the same situation as we are: We are earning our revenue in a small corner of the market in the areas where clasic telecom giants are not able to deliver a affordable service at a payable price. In this market-corner we can only survive if we are cheaper, faster and have a higher quality. We have not a lot of time to waste because the big telecoms are looking for new customers to (for exmaple VDSL)...

Routerboards

You did a good job in the last years in development of routerboards. I wonder why it is neccesarry to change the board size and mounting wholes at nearly every new product. Why isn't it possible to look at some industry-standards (like EURO-CARD) for PCB-Size. The case selection will be much easier.
We don't care if an AP is 50$ more expensive if we can get the functions (temperature and voltage monitoring or GPIO for example) to keep the service-level high and preventing us to drive to location and guessing what problem is making our service unrealible. Is it temperature? Is the voltage to low?. RB230 was able to monitor this values. Newer generations of RB are not able to do that. Why? Is that the result to make the AP-product as cheap as possible. I can't believe that your customers are not willing some cents for the sensors.
Why did you reduce the voltage input range of the AP usable Routerboards (exempt RB600) to non Telco voltage (48V) and POE voltage levels. This is legitimately and usefull for customer CPE but not acceptable for APs running on an Tower with an 48V-UPS.

Wireless funktions
Beside ATPC and DFS(2) your are missing the chances to make your product unique. For example NSTREAM2. Nice but unusable in EU. No one has funktion like this. I personally (looked from your side) I would spend development in an EU legal NSTREAM2. And afterwards I would take a circulator (diplexer) into my product portfolio. Ideal for very long links on high wind loaded towers...

802.11n for outdoor with dual slant antennas is the tool to win against 100M-fibre-connections in city areas. Not possible with MT yet. What should we do? Wait? How long? Or should we change our platform to get the customers now before the are lost forever?

Firewall functionality
The attack scenario has changed. Customers want's to have databased url-filtering and content virus scan? IPCOP can do this. But do I wan't to use IPCOP? No! I wan't to have as least platforms I can get. Are some plans to implement this firewall features (if possible RB support)?

I hope this time, some of you will respond. Please let us not die clueless. So here are my questions:

When will we see ATPC, DFS2?
When is 802.11n implemented and usable?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: The future? With or without mikrotik? That's the question

Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:28 pm

some of this has been discussed already, but about database url filtering and viruses - well this is for another product type, RouterOS won't be able to do everything.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:28 pm

Normis,

I followed the discussions before but I never saw a statement when the "not-only-nice-to-have features" available. Please tell me when Mikrotik will fullfill the radio regulations for Europe. In 3.11 or 4.0? You must have a roadmap and I think it is more than legitim for us as your customers to know when can use MT without the danger to close the whole net or spend several thousands of € penalty to local regulation.

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Full ACK...

MikroTik is a tremendous product, but we REALLY need some basic features URGENTLY.
As complete2006 wrote, it's nearly impossible to legally (!) use MikroTik in Germany (or the whole EU) as it is today.

I also urgently ask MikroTik to be more open about their plans to include those features, regarding the functionality and possible time-line.

Several ISPs here do have to make decisions with what technologie/manufacturer they should build new networks, which is happening all day here. There's a big rush in the market, and MikroTik REALLY has to do something not to be left behind here.

I REALLY wish MT would get on here, so we can continue to use their products in good faith for the future.

meconet
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:06 pm

Also a full ACK from our side, we have this discussions every day with existing and maybe new customers.

MT should open the roadmap and define when the EC needed features will come.

Otherwise we have an other solutions for the very strong growing (W)ISP market in Germany and other EC countries we have customers.

Regards
Lutz

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Everytime the same ...
No information from MT. Lativa is in the same elitist club called EU as my country. I think that you must have massive technical problems otherwise it is incomprehensible why you are disregarding all the european hamonisised standards. You put you and your customers in a very vulnerable position...

Please give us information about the timeline for fullfillment of EN 301 893 and EN 302 502 in their actual versions. If you will not adapt your equipment to this EN please let us know.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:08 pm

this is a user forum, you should never expect any official MT comment here. Please send email to sales if you wish somebody from MikroTik to give you answer.

my posts should not be viewed as official mikrotik opinion, unless it says so

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:44 pm

OK. Understandable...
I have sent all my need for discussion to sales/support by e-mail.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:53 pm

Sorry Normis,

but you're anncouncing in the forum the release of new versions. Isn't this official?

It is not my intent to compromise MT in this forum but I think that this issue must discussed here and not in a point-to-point email correspondence. I think your EU customers should know that they building their business on the top of an volcano cause from my point of view many of them are not aware about the trouble they can come in...

Where is the problem to put some official statements here?
I will give it a chance and send a mail to sales.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:59 pm

I personally am not involved in all processes in MikroTik, so I can't comment on all issues. If you want official response, please contact Sales, and they will direct you to correct department.

hilton
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:21 pm

normis, perception is reality. The reality is that you work for Mikrotik and the perception is therefore that you represent Mikrotik and subsequently all your comments are perceived to be official.

This forum is clearly where most if not all Mikrotik's clients have access to a common communication channel with Mikrotik. So why not make it official?

I suspect that most of the frustrations out there can be resolved through communication. Just a thought.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:35 pm

Yes,

Why do MT wants to keep things secret? I understand this business behaviour in development of new routerboards or special features but I do not understand this manner in baisc things.

My suggestion: Give the sales department an account to this forum or another board for example "Question to sales". This will eliminate a lot of work for the sales people answering same questions day after day.

"A small leak will sink a great ship."

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:15 pm

I do not have the authority to modify how this forum operates :) You will have to contact sales to discuss all of these things.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:45 pm

Haven't receive an response email from sales in this issue. cmit did you receive any response?

expunge
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:35 pm

Wow, this is not an official forum but it is forum.mikrotik.com? Like that isn't officially sponsored by MikroTik. Beyond that, if this isn't an official MikroTik forum and you aren't officially associated with MikroTik then why for ages were you the one who chewed people out for discussing non MT issues and why are you the only one who ever responds to the questions directed at MT?

I get more and more confused every day on this forum.

Eskimo

Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:06 am

Wow, this is not an official forum but it is forum.mikrotik.com? Like that isn't officially sponsored by MikroTik. Beyond that, if this isn't an official MikroTik forum and you aren't officially associated with MikroTik then why for ages were you the one who chewed people out for discussing non MT issues and why are you the only one who ever responds to the questions directed at MT?

Normis, if I'm wrong here, set me straight.

This is an official USERS forum. Normis is acting as an offical moderator for MT in daily forum actions (putting questions in the right forum, keeping threads on topic, answering quick MT related questions). Just because he is paid by them does not mean he is aware or has access to all future product plans. Overall, from my lurking, I would say he does a good job in this respect.

I'm all for them setting up an official user/thread/member or what have you so that we can have a mouthpiece for that kind of interaction. I think it would help tremendously.

Chewing people out for getting off topic should be done regardless of where this forum is hosted or who sponsors it. Keeping the place clean is a benefit to all those who use it.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:09 am

Full ACK...

MikroTik is a tremendous product, but we REALLY need some basic features URGENTLY.
As complete2006 wrote, it's nearly impossible to legally (!) use MikroTik in Germany (or the whole EU) as it is today.

I also urgently ask MikroTik to be more open about their plans to include those features, regarding the functionality and possible time-line.

Several ISPs here do have to make decisions with what technologie/manufacturer they should build new networks, which is happening all day here. There's a big rush in the market, and MikroTik REALLY has to do something not to be left behind here.

I REALLY wish MT would get on here, so we can continue to use their products in good faith for the future.
I'm not interested to be legall so its good as it is!
Everyone should set his RouterOS acording the law, if they want. Its not Mikrotik fault that Germany's law s*** . The state should help ISP like in Romania. You need a revolution... :lol:

meconet
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:12 am

Without any comment! 2008 and you didn't hear anything about ETSI and FCC regulation?

Regards
Lutz

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:53 am

Without any comment! 2008 and you didn't hear anything about ETSI and FCC regulation?

Regards
Lutz
so far, only the posters on this topic seem to be concerned about it :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:56 am

Why do I respond? I don't know, maybe because some people need help???

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:04 am

Haven't receive an response email from sales in this issue. cmit did you receive any response?
NO...

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:04 am

Normis! I know it. It is your hobby! :D The force will be with you...

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:19 am

Everyone should set his RouterOS acording the law, if they want. Its not Mikrotik fault that Germany's law s***.
InoX - if you're not interested to be legal - that's your thing. Most operators I know of ARE interested in being legal - simply as you are putting your whole business at risk if you're not...
And it's NOT a GERMAN law that is creating problems - this is European regulation valid for ALL European countries.
so far, only the posters on this topic seem to be concerned about it
OK, so to sum up:
Even if Normunds' post is not an official position of MikroTik here - it's the only reply I got until today.
And it suspiciously sounds like "we don't care". So I really do not expect RouterOS to change to be useable legally in Europe in the near future - right?
If that's the case, we will have to start looking for alternatives in the wireless business.

And no, the posters in this thread are NOT the only ones concerned - I do know lots of customers having a problem with the facts as they are today. And several of those already quit using MikroTik for exactly those reasons. Even if there is no solution TODAY, the bigger problem is the complete lack of communication with customers...

MikroTik REALLY should think over it's communication strategies...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:22 am

As I said, I have no information about these things, and people that can answer you, are probably not posting on this forum. So you should write to official Sales email to discuss this.
And no, the posters in this thread are NOT the only ones concerned
I haven't seen much demand for these features, even though I understand that in Germany it is important.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:28 am

@InoX

Romania is also a part of EU. You missunderstood something: I am not talking about "Law in Germany". I am talking about law in EU. Maybe you're in the happy situation that no one is looking at the things you are doing on the air ...
At the point "You need a revoulution..." you will have my full ack. The whole nonsens like DFS and DFS2 is needless. Why should I take care to a frequency hopper radar? It is working with much more power than our equipment and it should be robust enough to do the work with weak WLAN-disturbance. But the main point is: I can not change the regulation! It is a rule I have to regard. I think that everyone in EU has to regard this rules. If I wan't to earn money in the future I must be shure to be unatackable (in issues of radio regulation).

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:44 am

As I said, I have no information about these things, and people that can answer you, are probably not posting on this forum. So you should write to official Sales email to discuss this.
And no, the posters in this thread are NOT the only ones concerned
I haven't seen much demand for these features, even though I understand that in Germany it is important.
I have written a very lengthy email to sales, support and several other addresses several days ago. No answer until now.
What should I do? Fly to Riga to talk to John? Come on, it cannot be that hard...
And, Normunds: Even if you are not in the position to discuss this (which I understand), you could bring the attention of the "right" people to this discussion...

I agree completely with complete2006:
The regulatory things like DFS2 etc. are more or less nonsense. But that's not the point. The EXIST, and we have to comply - it's as simple as that. Perhaps the situation in Romania or Latvia is such that noone really cares what you are doing, but in most parts of Europe you ARE being watched closer. And if regulatory officials "catch you cheating" (like no DFS, too much EIRP, ...) your network will simply be shut down. End of the story.

I have the feeling that the European market is not really important to MikroTik, because this would be a great opportunity to sell a fully compliant OS for wireless appliances. But we will have to live with the decision MikroTik is making, and will act accordingly.

thadem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:07 am

sorry, but are you kidding me? we are not talking about some law that should prevent littering on the street, this is something that can shutdown our businesses and you are not caring? we are talking about the whole european union, not just a freaky law in germany. this has nothing to do with germany, don't you get the point? you simply HAVE to comply to this rules, this is not like you can think about it and maybe in the far future it will be integrated. if you do not comply to these regulations, every customer of you in the whole european union will be in the immediate danger of getting his business shut down. of course you can say "use the smaller eirp-setting of 1w", but this can't be true. every company using any other equpiments (and there are quite a few really good ones) would always be better in bandwith, nlos-situations and range because of the fact they can use 4 times the power we can use. this would show you are not caring about a big part of your customers.
i know that you are not the person to deal with that and you cannot say anything about it. but you should get the point for yourself, as everything you said in this thread so far is just showing your personal ignorance, even if that is not the point of mikrotik. but i just want to get you open-minded to our problems, as at the moment you are our only connection to mikrotik as long as nobody else from sales or support answers.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:16 am

Please don't start a personal flame here, take this off list, as suggested by the forum FAQ. This is a user-to-user forum, I am helping as much as I can, but this time I have no information on what you want.

What is known: 802.11n is in works, delay is happening due to draft and chipset updates. DFS2 is in the works. FCC compliance is already there, so you don't need to mix it into this. NStreme is not compatible with any standards and will never be, that's how it works - by avoiding them.