MUM Europe 2020

tjohnson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Real World Max Clients

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:06 am

Hi,

Could some people share the maximum number of clients they have running on a v3.x AP with a RB333 or faster board? We are running into problems when we reach about 40 clients. We are using Nstreme and disable CSMA and everything works perfectly until about 30 clients... then we start to see a lot of re-registrations. When we hit about 40 clients, we see all clients registering about every 3-4 hours over and over.

MT has suggested turning off Nstreme, but that causes more problems with our upload and download settings (we sell a symmetrical service, so with Nstreme off, a single client can take down an entire AP if they become infected or start a large upload).

Any other ideas?

Travis
Travis

Tanker
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Real World Max Clients

Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Travis

All I can do is pass on our experiance and operational status...

We have several (no.. A LOT) of BSS's ... setup as:-

BSS with 1 x RB333 with 1 - but up to 3 Wireless Interfaces --
BSS's with 4 x RB333's each with AT LEAST 2 cards in them...
BSS's with 2 -3 RB600's with daughterboards with up to 8 wlans

Some of the interfaces (Sectors) operate in Nstreme (sort of up to 40 clients) - but - mostly, this isn't my main concern because, as usual - the main restriction on any "combined" grouping of networks - is the capability of the tail-circuit.
These are mostly setup for client network to network operations. But mostly the BSS's bring the networks back to our tail circuits.

It seems pointless (to me) to extract the MAX out of the wireless links (other than to give the clients "best effort" service) when the links are way quicker than the tail-circuit is able to provide.

Nevertheless, we have interfaces (either XR5 or RB52H) with 90 clients connected all in the signal range of -70 / -80. We authenticate the clients in the Access List and do not use any encryption. Data rates are all set to max on the Supported Rates and the lowest (6mbps - we only operate in the 5 GHz band) in the Basic Rates ie:- Set to Default.

We have a mixture of Backhauls in all sorts of configs - but that is not the issue here.

Uptimes on the BSS's are in the order of 60 / 70 days and this is normally because we do routine maintenance and or a new release of software etc.

OK - so this doesn't actually answer your question - but - make SURE your power supply is capable of driving these RB's - once the load goes up - as with all things - the power demand rises as well. RB333's run on 12v yes.. but PLENTY of AMPS capability behind them works. It's one of the RB's where you can check the Voltage in the Health - and mostly we show 13.8V / 14.1V.. this is because we made a leap in the right direction (as far as I'm concerned) to use VERY good battery chargers onto a 12V deep cycle battery for ALL our RB4-333 BSS's.

For the RB600's we use a OEM Laptop Charger (selectable 12V / 220V input) which has up to 30V DC output at 3 Amps (and please don't ask me the name - I'll have to send a tech out to look!!!) which are obtainable at most Computer Corruption Stores.

I'm just sharing our setup with you - but the best way to operate as far as I'm concerned is - keep it simple!!!

I hope all of this makes some sense.

T

tjohnson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi,

Our issue isn't the RB333's rebooting or anything like that. The issue is having 20-30 clients that all work fine and stay registered in the registration table for weeks at a time. Then when you get up to 30+ clients, those same clients will only stay registered for a day or two. When you get over 40 clients, they will only stay registered for a few hours at a time.

We are using 18v power supplies on RB333's with a single SR5 card.

All our clients are running MT and we are using Nstreme (the whole reason to run ROS in the first place).
Travis

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:17 pm

You already have a thread going about this:

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 49#p121149

Please don't make duplicate threads.

tjohnson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:48 am

This thread was to get input from other users of how many maximum clients they have in a real world environment.

Travis
Travis