MikroTik App

Pikoro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Multiple Exit Points?

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:37 am

mikrotik1.gif
I have 3 RB433s, each with 1 wlan card in them (AP1,AP2,AP3).
Each AP is backed by it's own pppoe connection to the internet on ether1.
wlan1 on each AP is in a bridge with no other interfaces.
Dynamic WDS mode is set on each AP and they are connected on channel 13.
Each AP has it's own DHCP server:
AP1 ap-bridge 10.5.0.1 dhcp-range 10.5.0.2-49
AP2 wds-slave 10.5.0.50 dhcp-range 10.5.0.51-99
AP3 wds-slave 10.5.0.100 dhcp-range 10.5.0.101-149

I need to have it so that, depending on which AP the client connects to, they get an address and default gateway from the appropriate DHCP server.
Right now, no matter which AP I associate with, I only get an address from AP1's DHCP pool. All 3 dhcp servers are set authoritative=yes.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

I have been trying to block DHCP requests from being passed over the wds link with firewall rules but no success so far. (anyone know how to do this?)

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pikoro on Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

chvdr

Re: Multiple Exit Points

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:41 am

ap1,ap2,ap3=virtual ap?

Pikoro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Multiple Exit Points

Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:48 am

No, 3 separate RB433s.

chvdr

Re: Multiple Exit Points?

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

so, i suggest that if:

*every rb acts as bridge (ports -ether1, wlan1)
*wlan1 in wds mode, ap-bridge each router
*all rbs are in one network (with fixed gateway)
*the gateway acts as pppoe, dhcp. that culd be other router/linux_server with radius, etc...
* id est if we plan to create basic true wds network

the plan will be easiest, clearest and much more effective

Pikoro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:50 am

However, it does not use the existing fiber optic connection available at each site. That is what I am trying to do.

Can someone provide me with the appropriate firewall rule to block broadcast requests for dhcp from traversing the wds?

Pikoro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:36 am

Ok, after sniffing traffic and trying every firewall rule I can imagine to block DHCP from going out over the wds links, I have come to the conclusion that what I am attempting is basically impossible.

To confirm, can someone answer one question for me:

Are all the wds links considered to be bridged together? meaning, to the client, my 3 separate routerboards wireless interfaces all appear as a single AP (right now all 3 have a different ssid but ignore ssid is enabled.

If this is the case, then I cannot prevent dhcp packets from traversing the wds links since they are all "bridged" together.

Also, if this is impossible, then is it possible to load balance multiple ethernet interfaces on separate routerboards?

My clients need to be able to route out the closest pppoe session to which the client is associated with.

Any help would be appreciated.

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 am

do you NEED wds between APs?

Pikoro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:34 pm

Yes. There are extreme amounts of 2.4Ghz traffic pollution in the area where we are deployed at, but there are no APs using channel 13 (I'm in Japan).

So we use WDS to keep the APS all on the same channel without causing interference with eachother.

chvdr

Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:43 am

Use additional rb/ros_mt box on the other site of the fiber optics, bond three ifaces on it, where fibers attached.

Pikoro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:37 am

Unfortunately, the fiber is not directly controlled by us. We cannot touch the fiber, it is only there so we can initiate a pppoe link to the internet.

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:52 am

Yes. There are extreme amounts of 2.4Ghz traffic pollution in the area where we are deployed at, but there are no APs using channel 13 (I'm in Japan).

So we use WDS to keep the APS all on the same channel without causing interference with eachother.
If that's what you are trying to do, then WDS won't help you. If anything, it may hurt you.
Get rid of WDS. You can still have all 3 APs on the same channel and it will work fine as long as you do not have too much (about 20 mbps or so) traffic.

You should also get the most directional antennas which fit your application in order to reduce interference.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:30 am

What is the actual end goal of your implementation ?

Pikoro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:36 am

The goals is as stated in the original post. We have 3 buildings which have an omni on top of each. Each AP is backed by fiber optic however, we need to be able to route each customer based on the AP they connect to.

In the area we are using, there is extreme noise pollution on channels 1-11, hence wanting to only use channel 13.

I was under the impression that using the same channel/ssid on all 3 APs is going to cause additional noise for the other wireless clients. A 3 buildings are well within 500m of each other so we want to eliminate any potential issues.

Thanks in advance.

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:56 pm

I was under the impression that using the same channel/ssid on all 3 APs is going to cause additional noise for the other wireless clients.
Regardless of this being incorrect, or correct, WDS would be of no help in reducing noise.
I stand by my previous suggestion.