Community discussions

MikroTik App

Montana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Dual Nstreme TX Retries?

Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:47 am

I have started to try Dual Nstreme again. What Im seeing is a lot of tx-retries-lost. Im not sure as to what is going on so any information would be appriciated. The following is a screen shot taken of the Master router about 5 min after I reset the counters.
a.gif
b.gif
The next screen shot is Slave router that has been running about 8 hours and no reset of the counters.
c.gif
I ran both freq in non Nstreme mode for a while and didnt see any interference and quality of the signals were in the 90's. Im just not sure what is going on or even if this is normal. Any thoughts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Montana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Dual Nstreme TX Retries?

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:03 pm

Well I guess no one has Dual Nstreme working well enough to give advice on how best to make this stuff work. I have tried several different framer policies and I still see a lot of TX retries and TX losses. Does anyone have explanations as to what is going on or how to tune this stuff to get it to the best possiable setting.

ericsooter
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:57 am

I run a short duel nstreme link. I'm not sure what is an optimal stat. I'm assuming dividing retransmits by total transmits will give you a retransmit rate. Looks like your running about 20pct retransmit rate. I have a short link (about 1/2 mile) but has a tree smack in the way and I run about 33pct retransmit. I know the obstruction is hurting me. Oddly my signal is still in the low 60's. Since we don't really get a CCQ reading AFAICS, what do you guys think a decent retransmit rate in duel-nstreme would be? 10pct?

Eric

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:18 pm

what do you guys think a decent retransmit rate in duel-nstreme would be? 10pct?
Do you really care? Why would you?

All that should matter to you is your link speed, latency (ping), and uptime.

Montana
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:32 pm

Well I would like to know what all this means and how it effects the quality over all. If I had a better understanding as to what and how these different varaibles impacted the system then I would have a better understanding as to how to set them.

Any time I see tx-lost and tx-retrys I have to assume that the overall system is suffering. I would like to think that if these were 0 or very minimal then the system is operating optimal. That is why I would like to have a better understanding as to what these are doing and how to improve them and what impacts these varaibles.

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 pm

RK is somewhat correct; On a point to point link.
However on a p2mp link, it is desirable to keep retransmits down.

Nstreme, however, does not report these numbers in an expected fashion.
There is no GOOD way to tell when using Nstreme.