Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

lukef
Topic Author

internet access over wds

Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:12 am

Hi All
Im reasonably new to router os so please be gentle. We require a setup that can share the internet over two locations seperated by about 150 metres. We have two alix boards that have 2 wlan interfaces and and a ethernet interface.
Basically the first AP will be connected to a dsl router. What im wondering what is the best way to set this up

eg
AP 1. all 3 interfaces bridged
wlan1 ap_bridge 2.4 ghz ssid internet
wlan 2 ap_bridge WDS-static 5.8 Ghz ssid backhaul
ethernet connect to dsl router

AP 2. All interfaces bridged
wlan1 ap_bridge 2.4Ghz ssid internet
wlan2 ap_bridge WDS-static 5.8Ghz ssid backhaul

Would the above be the best setup.
1) what would you recommend for antennas Would 5.5 DB omnis be suitable for the backhaul for 150 metres when connected to a 400mw Card.
2) how do you test if the signals will reach between the two access points. Do you put AP1 in alignment only and AP2 scan?????
3) Do you set a fixed data rate on the backhaul wlan interface and what settings should be set in the txpower tab. Eg Fixed rate, default or card???
Thanks for your help i really appreciate it

janwschut
just joined

Re: internet access over wds

Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi All
Im reasonably new to router os so please be gentle. We require a setup that can share the internet over two locations seperated by about 150 metres. We have two alix boards that have 2 wlan interfaces and and a ethernet interface.
Basically the first AP will be connected to a dsl router. What im wondering what is the best way to set this up

eg
AP 1. all 3 interfaces bridged
wlan1 ap_bridge 2.4 ghz ssid internet
wlan 2 ap_bridge WDS-static 5.8 Ghz ssid backhaul
ethernet connect to dsl router

AP 2. All interfaces bridged
wlan1 ap_bridge 2.4Ghz ssid internet
wlan2 ap_bridge WDS-static 5.8Ghz ssid backhaul

Would the above be the best setup.
1) what would you recommend for antennas Would 5.5 DB omnis be suitable for the backhaul for 150 metres when connected to a 400mw Card.
2) how do you test if the signals will reach between the two access points. Do you put AP1 in alignment only and AP2 scan?????
3) Do you set a fixed data rate on the backhaul wlan interface and what settings should be set in the txpower tab. Eg Fixed rate, default or card???
Thanks for your help i really appreciate it
Keep it simple.

AP1 all interface bridged (bridge1)
wlan1 AP-Bridge 2.4 (ch1) SSID aaaaa
wlan2 AP-Bridge 5.8 SSID bbbbb (wds Static, bridge1)
WDS1 (on wlan2) (mac: of wlan2 AP2)

AP2 all interface bridged
wlan1 AP-Bridge 2.4 (ch3) SSID ccccc
wlan2 Station wds 5.8 SSID bbbbb (wds disabled)

goodluck.

lukef
Topic Author

Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:59 pm

Will 5.5 Omni antennas make the distance based on the 400mw cards.
Also how do you test if they are making the distance and that there is a good signal strength

Thanks

janwschut
just joined

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:31 pm

Will 5.5 Omni antennas make the distance based on the 400mw cards.
Also how do you test if they are making the distance and that there is a good signal strength

Thanks
Please don´t screw up the entire environment surrounding you with to much output power!!
For that small distance 70 mW will be enough with a 5dB omni. If not passing wall´s !
Better use a outdoor-case with two Omni´s and the routerboard insite. That will work perfect in your case.

Always better to have a good antenna as more power

JWS

lukef
Topic Author

Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:10 am

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying 5.5 db omnis will be fine for a backhaul using 70mw cards.
The last thing is how do you check that the access points can see each other. I have played around with the alignment tool but havent had much luck. Sorry for the silly questions but im new with mikrotik and wireless.
Thanks again

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:01 am

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying 5.5 db omnis will be fine for a backhaul using 70mw cards.
You'll get much better performance, and less noise, if you use directional antennas for Point to Point links. You can get good ones for under $50/unit.

To check the connection, you put one in AP mode and one in Station mode and try to establish a connection by scanning from the Station.

lukef
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks for that Info. For 150 metres to 250 metres what DB strength in 5.8ghz directional antennas would you suggest.
As using the omnis i have found ( by using the scanning technique ) that the wireless networks cant see each other so i have decided to take your advice with directional antennas but unsure on how many DBs i would require
Also i noticed with 802.11a it requires line of site. If tree leaves / tops of trees are in the way would this effect the link cheers