Community discussions

MikroTik App

carlozWDS
just joined
Topic Author

Can mikrotik handle this ?

Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:22 pm

Ok so we`re a little group of people (mostly geeks into online gaming and filesharing) about 25 in total and we want to deploy a private wireless network for lan gaming and lan filesharing and maybe internet. We`re all spread out in all directions and already have a central location where we will be placing our servers (dns servers,dhcp severs,backup servers,game servers, media servers, etc) We wanna use mikrotik for this setup because RouterOS has all the features we would like ( bandwidth shaping/managment, access control, security etc) We have friendly members who will be donating/sharing their internet connections to privide us with a fat internet pipe. The hardware for the users/members will be rb133c and rb433AH will be for the AP at the central location. We`re only 25 people now but new members will be getting added short after. Can this be done ? I know filesharing means a lot of traffic will passing thru the links so we want to set max rates on our members lets say 4mbits tops ? how can we rate limit ether connected members ? If we outgrow our area and I know we will, can we carry atleast 50mbits or more to another location/tower to provide other members far far away with access to our servers ? I know this probably sounds like an idiot idea and all this could be done over the internet but where we`re at right now the fastest internet connection is 1.5mbits and its expensive as f&^&*! plus we dont like ISP snooping on us. So if you can suggest/comment or give any tips or info on this matter feel free :) Thanks in advanced.

nickb

Re: Can mikrotik handle this ?

Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:38 am

File sharing DESTROYS wireless connections.

For that kind of bandwidth/performance you're going to want to use an RB600 with 90 degree sectors, on 5.8Ghz (you won't get that kind of throughput on 2.4GHz with more than 3-5 clients on a sector).

Use at least an RB411 for the CPE. Maybe an RB411AH for more CPU. It sounds like your goals are "media intensive" which means high PPS, which is where the problems come in. It's not that you're doing a lot of 'bandwidth' it's that you have a lot of PPS for the CPU to deal with. i.e. P2P.

You can carry 50Mbps to another site but you'll need a dedicated point to point nstream2 setup to do it. (i.e. another routerboard besides your main AP)