Community discussions

MikroTik App

wireless12
Topic Author

basics of measuring throughput, dont ignore it plz..

Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:40 pm

hello..

sorry, i m pasting a very stupid question..but i believe if few exprienced RF and network Engeeniers explain and discuss the basic of "throughput checking" it would greatly help learners and will root off many wrong explanantion of THROUGHPUT.

suppose i hav setup a PTP link which look like the below picture .

QUESTIONS:-

1.How to calculte the throughput of this link
2. does the wireless throughput and ethernet throughput would be different in this link
3.How to check the thorughput of only wlan-wlan and ether-ether in this link
4.If the coustomer ask me to tell him how much throughput we are achieving by the follwoing link how to show him the achived throughput
5. What is the meaning of unidirectional throughput and bidirectional throughput in this link

Note:-
R52 card are used in both RB

your answers will help most mikrotik users..

thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and pzz do reply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GuJack20
Trainer
Trainer

Re: basics of measuring throughput, dont ignore it plz..

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:01 pm

My two cents :)

1.How to calculate the throughput of this link
Use btest of mikrotik for windows. you can download it from the download page of mikrotik.com. Open it in both PC, make one to act as a btest server and the other as a client to it. Run all the test you think proper and screenshot them for later reference.

2. does the wireless throughput and ethernet throughput would be different in this link
Normally not, the ethernet throughput will be limited, decided, by the wireless throughput.

3.How to check the thorughput of only wlan-wlan and ether-ether in this link
for the wlan-wlan use the btest inside the 411 but keep in mind that it may be not 100% accurate cause of the processor power of these RBs. for the ether-ether is the same as answer 1 (that is the actual link throughput)

4.If the coustomer ask me to tell him how much throughput we are achieving by the follwoing link how to show him the achived throughput
Show him the screenshots from answer 1.

5. What is the meaning of unidirectional throughput and bidirectional throughput in this link
Unidirectional means the throuhput from A to B, or B to A (one at a time). Bidirectional means A to B and B to A (at the same time). With btest.exe use "send", "receive" (for unidirectional) and "both" for bidirectional.

wireless12
Topic Author

Re: basics of measuring throughput, dont ignore it plz..

Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:53 am

thxxx. guzzz.

some more thoughts and opinion ???? anyone else?.