Community discussions

MikroTik App

tomswenson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to route public ip through a routed AP and a routed CPE.

Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:13 pm

I have been been testing and searching and trying to figure out how I can have a routed AP, a non-bridged CPE so I can use PPPoe for ip addresses and such and yet still give my customers public, non-natted static ip's. All CPE's and AP's are Mikrotik and running 3.0 or higher.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

wolverine
just joined

Re: How to route public ip through a routed AP and a routed CPE.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:50 am

Hey Tom,

Do you currently have a block of public IP address?

If, yes. Then hopefully, I can give you some insist of where you should go.

Firstly, your network routing is going take some knowledge of subnetting. For instance lets say I have been given an IP block of 12.0.0.0 255.255.255.0. This block of class A IP addresses will support 254 nodes on one large network. This option is okay for a bridge network. Now lets say we want to break this up into smaller subnets(network). To accomplish this, we have to determine the maximum number of cpe for each network.

Case:
3 networks
Network A: 57 cpe:
Network B: 20 cpe:
Network C: 100 cpe:

How I do it:
I start off determining my largest network, in this case that is network C. IP address 12.0.0.0 255.255.255.128. This gives me the needed 100 IPs and could grow to 125 cpes. Now that I have my first subnet taken care of, I notice that I have a remaining 126 IP's within my block.
Network A is the next network taken into consideration. IP address 12.0.0.128 255.255.255.196
Network B IP block 12.0.0.196 255.255.255.224

All of the major networks have been accounted for leaving 12.0.0.224 255.255.255.224. From this we can get 8 smaller networks to be used between routers.
12.0.0.224 255.255.255.252
12.0.0.252 255.255.255.252

Hopefully this will help.

You may have setup up a PPPoE server at each end.

tomswenson
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: How to route public ip through a routed AP and a routed CPE.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:20 pm

Wolverine, thanks for the good message, but subnetting isn't where I'm having the trouble. I currently have 8 of my own class c's. I have subnetted them all to all my access points, but my problem is more with deploying my first mikrotik network. I have used waverider extensively in the past as well as breezecom, trango, and deliberant. They were all mostly a bridging type network. The Waverider was a routed AP with a bridged CPE. Static addresses had to be done via natting. They later came out with a switched AP so you could do something different.

Anyway, I'm now setting up a 3650 network with mikrotik and XR3. I have 9 sectors up so far, all with a routed AP and bridged CPE's using pseudo-bridge. I have been chatting with a fellow on this board and another about using OSPF and PPPoe to authorize the cpe's and to route ip's. I thought the PPPoe for cpe's sounded like a good idea, so have been trying to get it work. So far, all my testing isn't working out so good. I'm finding that I can't do PPPoe with a bridged cpe, so I have tried to go with the cpe in station mode, but then I get into a routing issue getting statics all the way to the customers.

I'm hoping that I can learn from others on who are more familiar with mikrotik wireless who have already been through this. The guy I have been chatting with has been very helpful, but I hate to keep bugging him for answers. I know we are all very busy.

Thanks,

Tom