Community discussions

MikroTik App

john@onalot.com
Topic Author

How can you access a mikrotik board through a router

Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:50 am

Here's the setup:

Computer to LAN side of a linksys router. WAN side of linksys router to Mikrotik 411 board.

Running Winbox.

How can you "see" the mikrotik board when running through a router? I've opened ports, disabled firewall, etc. Still can't get at it.

Thanks,
John

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How can you access a mikrotik board through a router

Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:56 am

wait, you have:

[PC] --> [Linksys] --> [MikroTik] --> Internet

?

How is linksys and mikrotik set up, routing?

If you can access the internet, and if you can see the IP of MikroTik in Traceroute, then there is no reason why you can't connect to it just by using it's IP .
No answer to your question? How to write posts

john@onalot.com
Topic Author

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:44 pm

No internet at this time. This is just a test setup.

I have the PC getting it's IP address via dhcp from the linksys router's lan side. The Linksys router's wan side is set up as static IP = 10.10.10.10, subnet mask = 255.255.255.0, gateway = 10.10.10.1

the wan side is connected to the mikrotik RB411 ether1, no wireless card installed
there is a bridge = bridge1 on the mikrotik board
Bridge1 has an IP address of 10.10.10.5/24

I built this simple test setup because I have a load of mikrotik boards in my network, all are "isolated" from my office PC. Isolated = my PC goes through a router onto the internet. My networks are scattered all over the state of Oklahoma. Each network gets onto the internet using a DSL router. Here's a sample:

My PC - router - DSL line --- internet --- dsl line - router - mikrotik board - customers

I have vpn tunnels setup in the routers, and can "see" my customers fine from my pc. However, I cannot see the mikrotik boards out there. I have to be physically on the same network to see those boards. I would like to be able to see and manage the mikrotik boards remotely using the above type of setup.

My networks are up to 50 miles away from my pc, so remote management is really a necessity.

I have tried forwarding port 8291, ports 8200 to 22000, nothing works. I would prefer to use winbox or similar to do all this.

any ideas?

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Install in a RB visible from internet (with static IP or dyndns) a PPTP server
Make those client router connect via PPTP Client to the Server (they can be under NAT too)
Route and HaveFun :lol:

P.S. The regular traffic shouldn't go through this PPTP, only your access.
Renato Bernardi

Tbird
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:37 am

Not quite sure what you mean by saying can and cannot "see". I you are referring to Neighbor Discovery/CDP you have to be aware of this being a layer 2 protocol - means not routable.

Using VPN (like PPTP) should work fine, just make sure you have a back-route also - the remote location needs to have a route to your local network as well. This must be true for both the net for customers and the routerboards - if they are on different IP-net. The VPN-tunnels end-addresses will be the gateway for the opposite networks.