wireless12
Topic Author

CPE, share ur thoughts

Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:52 am

hello all..
generally we WISP got two kind of coustomers to dealth with:

1. Domestic or home users.
2. Corporate or enterprise users.

Now, the enterprise users dont mind to pay for costly CPE installations..bec there business rely on the internet and they need stable links
but the picture is not same with home or domestic users..they ask for low cost CPE as they use intenet for general uses.

FOR expamle: we can hav a quality sector connected to quality RB433 AH, but most of the domestic coustomers are not ready to pay even for RB411.

So my question is: which CPE , i can use for domestic users which suits my mikrotik 433AH,which is the chepaest CPE for domestic users which can do good for mikrotik 433AH, we use 2.4 GHz(b/g) for home users.

note: i dont connect domestic users beyond 2km frm my base station(RB433AH)
i would not mind to use 24dbi grid antenna with CPE for evry home users.

finally if someone could tell me the a cheapest CPE( dual band) for enterprise users whic is no less performer then a costly enterprise CPE. or could perform somewhere near to costly CPE

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Re: CPE, share ur thoughts

Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:14 pm

Nanostation from ubiquiti are really cheap.. (~60 euro)
But you have to abandon the nstreme feature adding a non-mikrotik machine in your network..
And they work in a short range (1.5km with a good throughput, maybe more) but the Nanostations have room for an additional antenna to increase distance.

I'm using 411 CPEs because i think nstreme is the way :P
But i just ask them an activation cost (usually half cost of CPE) then add 2-3 euro in the month subscription for the CPE loan.
If they want to end the contract they have to bring the CPE back ofc.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:45 am

2K, like 1.3 miles, Crossroads and 15dBi Rootenna. About $145 without the mounting pole. You could use a 15dBi Rootenna, R52 and 411 for a little less. I prefer the Crossroads as it is a tad more sensitive.

edit: missed dual band, 411, R52, dual band Rootenna, about $150.

jordantrx
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:46 pm

2K, like 1.3 miles, Crossroads and 15dBi Rootenna. About $145 without the mounting pole. You could use a 15dBi Rootenna, R52 and 411 for a little less. I prefer the Crossroads as it is a tad more sensitive.

I don't like the crossroads because if lightining strikes and damages the wireless card It is not exchangible. Just why I don't use crossroads..

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:10 pm

It doesn't matter whether the customers need stable links; you need stable links. Otherwise you will hit a certain size and you'll spend all your staff resources answering unnecessary phone calls, troubleshooting substandard radio equipment, and messing around with preventable problems, preventing you from getting more customers hooked up. It is worthwhile subsidizing some or all of the equipment cost in order to get reliable equipment even at residential places. In fact, we own all the equipment and we have a setup fee that covers the labor costs of the install. Then, if the customer quits, dies, gets incarcerated, moves out, we can reuse the gear.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:29 am

I don't like the crossroads because if lightining strikes and damages the wireless card It is not exchangible. Just why I don't use crossroads..
Crossroads has a 5-6dB receive gain over R52H, and 2-3dB gain over the R52.

Gunzoid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:26 am

I'd go the Rootenna/411/R52 or XR2 route for a good CPE.
Using the MT ROS makes it all worthwhile, even if you have to subsidize part of the cost.

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:59 am

We don't sell CPEs, we only rent them to the customers.
Neither do we give them access to change any configurations on the CPEs.

In the long run, renting equipment is more profitable and we have the benefit of being able to modify it whenever we want in whatever way we want.