Community discussions

MMorris
Topic Author

Wireless Bridge Slow Bandwith

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:40 pm

I have 12 building connected with a bridged wireless network. 2 buildings have around 70 pc each and the others have a few in them. each building has a router in it and are routed to the main building. when i do a bandwith test from one building to the other with the routed ip address i get 5 mbps that drops down to 400k. if i do a bandwith test from the local ip address from one wireless radio to the other i get 20 mbps.

Sorry if this is hard to follow but dose anyone have any ideas?? i am wondering if going to routed wireless network would help but some buildings are on a vlan!

thanks for any help!

ejansson

Re: Wireless Bridge Slow Bandwith

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:48 am

Sounds like a ethernet port miss match. Check to see if the routers ports are fixed ie 10 or 100mb FD or HD. if fixed changing them to auto should work. If they are on auto try setting the radios and routers to 10 or 100 FD depending on what the routers support. Ciscos are well known for auto config issues.

MMorris
Topic Author

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:20 pm

All my wireless is mikrotik and set to auto. the building routers are mikrotik too set to auto i will go and set them all to 100 FD than and see what happens. thanks for the reply!

MMorris
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:45 pm

set cisco switches to full duplex and speed 100. also set mikrotik to full duplex and removed auto.

still have this issue anyone have any ideas?? would a routed wireless network be better than the bridged??

Thanks

icepicknz
just joined

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:46 am

Do you still have this problem? We have the same problem and I'm starting to believe mikrotiks don't like bridge mode as this can be the only thing I can think of that may slow things down.

Network as such

Provider - Laptop (80mbps down, 75mbs up)
Provider - Mikrotik - laptop (50mbps up, 22mbps down)
Provider - Mikrotik - ubiquity rocket doing 50mbps - laptop (20mb down, 15mb up)
Provider - Mikrotik - ubiquity rocket doing 50mbps - mikrotik r450g in bridge - laptop (10mb down, 5mb up)

Each time i introduce a new RB450g to the picture the speed halves, the mikrotiks are in bridge mode for all their ports.
I have tried the ports all in auto mode, I have also tried all mikrotiks in 100mb full speed mode (hard set).

charliebrown
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:02 am

I've seen this problem with Bridging Wireless to Ethernet, we hit a 30-40mbit hard limit no matter what we did. To resolve it we use slave ports where for Ethernet bridging and MPLS/VPLS for wifi/eth bridging. Given MT's pushing of MPLS for wireless links I'd say bridging is giving them some issues

icepicknz
just joined

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:19 am

Thanks for this, can you explain more how you overcome this and what you did to achive the slave ports?

charliebrown
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:04 am

In the ethernet port settings you can set a master port (Ethernet To Ethernet only) which turns it into a switch basiclly from what I understand. Ethernet to Wireless is a bit more complicated and network specific

antispam
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:47 am

Hi icepicknz
do you resolved the issue?