Community discussions

MikroTik App

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Crown Castle / CCI

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:48 pm

Hey all, wondering if anyone has had experiences with Crown Castle in respect to leasing tower space. They gave me a quote for about $300 for a small install around my area (San Diego). Wondering if there are any tips, tricks, etc. Also, any ballpark pricing that your currently paying for tower space (if you feel like saying that is).

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Crown Castle / CCI

Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:34 am

It varies hugely. I have not dealed with Crown Castle, but I understand them to be a run of the mill tower ownership / management business.

We have cell phone towers in the area that the owners aren't interested in dealing unless its closer to 1000/mo, and of course that does not interest me either.

Other times, I am free on towers for providing the owner with Internet, especially if it's a ham tower as they can't make money off their hobby, or if it's a rural area with a real need for internet and nobody is going to get rich off the project. A backhaul speed internet connection can be pretty enticing to an individual or small business.

Other times, I pay 50-250/mo depending on how worthwhile the site is and what comes with it for extras and where I can place stuff.

At towers I own, I successfully charge $100-700 depending on the height and what they are installing, what they are consuming for power, etc.... Owning towers isn't a get rich quick scheme; most of mine only have our own ISP stuff on them, but a couple have paying customer. One I bought the tower with the tenant already using it, the other a good location overlooking an important small city and bay.

If you've got money laying around to build towers, there is no time like the present, as local zoning rules and regulation aren't going to get any easier. Sometimes communities are tough against towers and will fight in court against any odds to keep their town in the previous century. Build in the neighboring town and stay ahead of the nimby proliferation.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:37 pm

Crown Castle quoted me $300 a month for two vertical feet and $1500 a month for 6 vertical feet. I built an AP around the two foot limitation, got all my parts on hand, and then found out there was a $2000 build out fee up front, as well as either $1500 to have their people install my hardware or $1500 inspection fee if I use my own climber.

$3500 + parts up front and $300 a month on an AP that I will likely not have 30 people on.

I skipped it. I'll just put up my own, with an AP, for under $2000.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:00 pm

thats the feedback I was looking for - thanks guys! I figured there was some gotchas in there.

Sam

spire2z
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Thats cheap from my knowledge, but have you checked the prices for maintanance. Here in UK they were a killer, they wanted £1000 for a tower climb!!!