Community discussions

MikroTik App

remuss
Topic Author

how to maximize the throughput

Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi all; I need an advice; First off all my configuration is:
2 computers dell optiplex GX270 with 2,4Ghz CPU; 2 x CM9 mikrotik 3.17; 2 x parabola 1,5m with feeder in the middle; 2x ufl to RP-SMA cable 30cm and 1,5M RF240 cables; this configuration and on the mikrotik there is 5GH turbo mode enable and transparent bridge setup with nstream enable and compression; The max throughput in one way is 25Mb; Maybe is there another way to configure the mikrotik to get more or another cable or something; If there is any possibility please help I need every bit :) Should I shorten the pigtails from 30cm to 10cm or use another RF cable ? any ideea would be appreciated .

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: how to maximize the throughput

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:17 pm

remuss -

Well you told us quite a bit but not enough.... What is the signal level at both ends of this link?

You might be able to improve the link signal by going to LMR400 from your case to the antenna. Ufl to n-female (bulkhead). LMR 400 N-male to whatever the antenna takes. If you can shorten the cable inside your case then that may help as well.

I have seen many issues with the CM9 card - perhaps trade it out for some R52Hs or XR cards.

Move up ROS 3.20

Take that link out of bridge and make it a routed setup (will save between 10 and 30%).

Turn off connection tracking if you are not using the firewall (that means NAT, Mangle, Filter or any firewall entry).

You could always go to two radios at each end...then you can bond them and that will give you about 1.6 times the slower of the two links. So if your slowest link is 18mbps your top speed would be about 18mbps * 1.6 = 29mbps or in your case it sounds like you are linked at 54mbps then your top (theoritcal) 54mbps * 1.6 = 86.4mbps (I have not seen this go over 70mbps TCP hence the theoritcal 'disclaimer').

Hope this helps....

R/

remuss
Topic Author

Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:09 pm

galaxy thanks for the replay what is your opinion about this minipci ??? http://www.wifimarket.ro/detalii-produs ... _mPCI.html

could you explain me what configuration should I use I don;t understand (router ?); I use this antennas to make a PTP link that all no routing or something else, the only think I use is the firewall to block flooders

wath variant of the cable ??? http://www.m2inc.com/main%20html/lmr400_a.pdf

and my signal strength is in one end -82 and n the other end it's -87 that I am not pleased but I don't know why it is so the computer are the same CM9 same the pigtales are with 10cm longer
This is a image of the signal from registration what is your opinion

here is a pigture of the status from interfaces from wirelless

and another question I use parabolic antena 1,5m is beater to use offset antennas ?
how can I see if there are interferences in the zone?
With respect Remus

fatonk

Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:57 pm

Your problem is with quality of signal, signal to noise 16 db is low and TX -87 dbm is not very promising to have throughput tha your are seeking. You have check the physical part (cables, pigtails etc), or tune your signal it may happen that you receive a reflection, by the way what is distance of this link ?

Regards.

Faton

remuss
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:48 am

the distance is 25KM what should be signal to noise ? I will change the minipci to XR5 and make the pigtails shorter, and change the cable with LMR400 how did galaxy say

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:15 pm

remuss -

fatonk is correct - your received siganl is too low causing your CCQ (quality of the link) to be poor.

Rough calcs here but the free space loss across 25km is 136db.

I did some calcs based on the distance being 25km. Output power of the card at 350mw, the antenna gain set to 24db, and with your current cabling I projected the loss from the cables at 3db. I am going to round the figures out for you (no decimal places).
TX power=25db, minus 3db cable loss, plus 24db antenna gain = 46db EIRP (slightly above FCC limits)

I calulated the RX sensitivity at -89db, cable loss is still 3db, and an antenna gain of 24db, distance still 25km, the approximate RX power level should be -70db +/- 2db.

Your received power is far below this. At -82 and -87 you are losing 12 to 17db somewhere.... There are a couple of things that can do this besides obstacles. You DO have a clear LoS (Line of Sight) - right - nothing in the way? A) Reflections - as fatonk pointed out. B) Higher cable loss than expected, bad or incorrectly seated cables. C) A bad card on one end or the other. D) I am not sure but I think the CM9 has two antenna ports, you choose the wrong port possibly? E) Antennas are not properly aligned.

If you change over to XR5 cards, then order a cable with an MMCX (to fit the XR5 antenna port) and I would personally have the other end be a N-female bulkhead connector. Then from the N-female bulkhead connector an N-male via LMR400 to your antenna. You antenna has a N-female connector on it - right? N-female (bulkhead) - N-male - LMR400 - N-male - N-female (antenna)
and another question I use parabolic antena 1,5m is beater to use offset antennas ?
how can I see if there are interferences in the zone?
Your antenna sounds fine. (non-offset)
Your noise floor tells you how much the radio 'sees' as interference. You can also use the 'freq usage' and 'snooper' functions to 'see' what might be out there in your area. Open your wireless card (as if you were going to configure it) make sure you have the advanced settings on, then look at the lower right side, there you'll see the 'scan', 'freq usage' and 'snooper' 'buttons. Click on these to see what your radio 'sees'.

Lastly to get a very accurate picture of what's out there you'd need a spectrum analyzer and a directional antenna - sweep the area that you are interested in....

Ok remuss - let us know how it goes....

R/

Thom

remuss
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:17 pm

1 more question the maximum output power is 25db ? should I set it to manual TX Power and set it to 25 ???
10x very much for the indication I let you know what happened, this week I switch the cables and the pigtales the XR5 next week I don't have money now.

Regards

Remus

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:34 pm

remuss -

You can leave the card putput power at the default level. MT knows what the maximum power level the card is capable of and sets it that way....

R/

Thom

remuss
Topic Author

Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 am

I wait the cables, but by than how did you say galaxynet should I configure the wireless P2P (now they in transparent bridge configure), what is the best for maxim speed, ap and client ? Thanks in advanced.

Best regards Remus

remuss
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:26 pm

could a GSM tower that was build near me 5 meter affect my signal because this end signal was -90 I must to set manual tx power to 22 to get it to work again.

remuss
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:37 am

I simple don't understand this I have noise floor -101 ;-102 but Overall TX CCQ is 25% - 32%, could this be from the fact that I have put manual TX power to 20dbm; how could I improve this ??? have anyone any Idea ???

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:06 pm

with cm9 and manual setting, my CCQ drops from 100% to ~85%

remuss
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:40 am

is there a way to detect what kind of interference I have in my zone ??? could a GSM tower be a source of interference ? if he is on 1200Mhz ? I have 2 identical systems but my signal strength differ why ? how can I resolve this problem ?

With respect Remus