Community discussions

MikroTik App

hckr00t
Topic Author

public ip

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi everyone!!
I have an issue which I hope u guys can help me out.
here is what I want to achieve.

I have a public ip from my ISP but I want to use that public ip to my third router (mikrotik).

so from router A(isp) -- my router1 --- my router2 .. so I want to have this public ip to "my router2"
my isp provider gave me this public addres 1.1.1.1/29 and the gateway aswell ..
can you help me out hot to forward this public ip to "my router2"
note: "my router1" has some clients connected to it so I use nat there to nat them to the internet.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: public ip

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:53 pm

If it is routing on the Internet it needs a public IP. The only way to do this is to trade places with router 1 and router2. Then give the public IP to router2, use private IP space between router2 and router1, and double NAT router1.

Or ask you ISP for more than 1 IP address. If he gave you a /29 there should be 5 available for someone to use. Then you could use one for each router.

By definition, routers are layer 3 and route between networks.

Tom
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.roc-noc.com
Tom, CCNA, ISP, USA Mikrotik Distributor
888-762-5662
-----------------------------------------------

hckr00t
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:44 am

thanks for the reply ..
but the problem is that I can't trade places cuz the routers are physically not close to each other..
I forgot to mention I am connecting them with 5ghz wireless.
so here it goes again ... router A (ISP) - "my router 1" ---- wireless link --- "my router2"
I do have 4 public ip addresses but I want "my router 2" to have one of the public ip addresses and even if possible 2 public ip addresses .. but my problem here is i can't connect the router to my isp switch ...
thanks in advance I hope you can help me

hckr00t
Topic Author

Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:03 pm

any ideas yet .. plz read my first post and lemme know if u got an idea... thanks

und3ath
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:17 pm

so here it goes again ... router A (ISP) - "my router 1" ---- wireless link --- "my router2" :

create EoIP tunnel between router1 and router2. then create bridge interface on router1 and add ether interface, which is connected to ISP switch and EoIP interface. finally on router2 EoIP interface assign public IP.

CanadaBear

Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:54 pm

I've been asking the same thing for some time and no one helping. all they say it can be done but give no example!

Here my setup http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30238

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Don't route.. bridge the wireless.

Use WDS or EoIP as was suggested (WDS is slightly faster) over your wireless links.

Another option is to use private IPs between your ISP and the router you want to give public IPs to...

so:
RouterA (ISP) [privateNET-A] <--> [privateNET-A] MyRouter1 [privateNET-B] <--wireless--> [privateNET-B] MyRouter2 [publicIP1] <--> MyRouter3 [publicIP2]

Not the best way to do it, but it should work... the only limitation is that you must have access to setting the private IPs and routes on your ISP's router.
- No strings attached -

<< Please give good Karma if this post helped you. Press the + button above the Location entry

CanadaBear

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:03 pm

Ok, but now?

I need to know were to set it in the router and a example

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:16 pm

This is WDS:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... o_Networks

This is EoIP:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Transpare ... WDS_(EoIP)

If you still can't do it, it's time to hire a consultant or attend some training.
- No strings attached -

<< Please give good Karma if this post helped you. Press the + button above the Location entry