Community discussions

Tavares
just joined
Topic Author

Hello everyone... Major Wifi Project and help needed..

Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:16 am

hello everyone My Name is Tavares and i live in Jamaica, i just want to say what a very nice forum is this.. lets get to the chase..
I have a wifi network that i setup to share internet access throughout a good distance The equipments i have are :

17dbi Array antenna

4 watt amplifier

Router, I am only using 1 antenna to connect,the other is empty.

and these are connected to a D-link wireless Ap.. the problem i am having is that people cannot get connected to the network and if they do get connected it would work and then it would reach to a point where they cannot connect but they can see the signal very strong 5 bars out of 5, they are very close to the setup, i would really want some help because i figure more or less that its the router but i changed it and it was the same prob, i think these router is for home use and not for what i want to do, I see you guys using something called router board i would like to find out what it is.lol.. When i just setup the network it works perfectly fine without security but when i enable mac filtering or use passwords it gives allot of trouble. Please anyone i would like to solve this problem ASAP. help would be gladly appreciated. i forgot to state that i am in testing stages and i test it at my friends house about 200ft away and he is using a pci wifi card with the adjustable antenna. Please help anyone any info needed will be posted ASAP. here a pic of my pole. Thanks in advance/

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Hello everyone... Major Wifi Project and help needed..

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:17 am

This forum is about MikroTik products only, so read up:

RouterBOARD: http://www.routerboard.com/
Other MikroTik RouterOS Based products: http://www.mikrotik.com/mfm.php

I guess some of our resellers could help you.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

npero

Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:08 pm

4W amplifier :shock: :shock:
We use R52 60mW for 25km ptp link. 4W crazy with this power you can cook something :lol:

Sold amplifier for that money buy couple cheat omnidirectional and directional antena also couple routerboard and miniPCI card use low power and dislocate antenna to be closer to clients. Work much better.

Tavares
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:32 pm

I already Bought a RB433AH but haven't received it as yet.. so i am going through the forum to learn more abt the RB so when i get it , i can help my self.. but i wanted to see if anyone think the Rb will fix my problem.

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:27 am

drop the amp. Use a high quality radio card (XR2 or R52H for 2.4 GHz, XR5 or R5H for 5 GHz).

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:46 am

think of it this way - you are SHOUTING as load as possible, but the guys on the other end are just talking normal. There is no point in having so much power transmitting when the remote side does not. You will see max bars as signal strength but they wont even be able to connect because they can't transmit back to you.
Colo and Wholesale Bandwidth Available! Sales at SanDiegoBroadband dot com

Tavares
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:28 am

so i should get rid of the amps ?? with router card is the bust but with a good power for me to transmit through those antennas ??

Tavares
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:39 am

another question....im gonna be using the RB433Ah 2.4ghz and was wondering for people under 1 mile wat would i need to connect them to my network.. Do i have to use CPE ? or i could just use a normal pc wifi card or something like that, and for people over the 1 mile what kind of cheap cpe can i get to connect my clients from 1-5 miles and those cpe's should work well. please help.....

by the way, anyone wanna trade for my 4watt amp no problem :D..

npero

Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:04 am

Best solution is some kind of CPE for that clients if you don't have much interference, good LOS, not very much cable between pci card and antena that work without CPE.
I prefer another solution if i have couple of client in log distance talk with some of client and on his place create point to point link client have free equipment connected to the LAN cable and also use some cheap omni directional or sector antenna and low power cards for near client R52 or something similar. With this solution have smaller number client per radio client have much better bandwidth.

Tavares
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:48 pm

well npero.. thanks for replying.. looks like i have allot of work ahead of me. :shock: :shock:
by the way.. where do u think i can get cheap cpe's ?

expunge
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:08 am

Tavares,

Using a 411 with an R52 will give you a fairly inexpensive CPE. If you don't want to go the Mikrotik route on your CPE's there is a product out right now that is almost the perfect CPE. The Ubiquiti Bullet radios are cheap at $39 a pop and seem to work rather well. We have deployed a large quantity of Bullet 2, 2HP and 5's for CPE equipment since they were released and are quite happy with their performance. I'd still recommend you go with Mikrotik AP, the flexibility of the Mikrotik product on the AP end combined with the feature set gives you easily the most power/performance/price.

Tavares
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:11 am

thanks expunge,, but where can i get cheap already made mikrotik cpe's

tierpath

Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:14 pm

Might wanna make sure you ground it and use lightning protection considering your location.

Tavares
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:23 am

thanks @ tierpath.... umm wanted to ask if i could ground this in Marl because we are on big hill ? if not what could i do to get it grounded?

Aug

Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:19 pm

Minimum grounding would be a 10 foot copper rod and #4 or #6 wire to the equipment box.
Aug

Tavares
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:59 am

THanks aug.