MikroTik App

schiele
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Track a client from which AP they are registered too

Fri May 29, 2009 12:15 am

Hi there,

Sorry for the simple question, still learning ROS but bassically what I am trying to do is track down from the Gateway(mikrotik) to which AP a client is connected(registered) too, so if the Location has got 6 AP's in WDS(all mikrotiks) and a client is connected to one of those 6 AP's, is there a tool or method to track down which AP they are registered too? sorry for repeating myself. This way I can quickly winbox into that AP they are associated with and gather more info on their connection...etc.

Just wondering if this is possible from the Main Gateway which I always have on the same Network as it acts as the DHCP and Hotspot Server.

Thank you

Schiele.

edward08

Re: Track a client from which AP they are registered too

Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:23 am

Hi,
there is no way that i am aware to perform such identification in a layer-2 network.
I do not know how you manage bandwidth, but it could be possible to configure a diferent network for each ap, so you will know if client is 192.168.1.x, comes from AP1 and 192.168.2.x comes from AP2, and so...
good luck

schiele
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks for the reply Sir. I have thought about deviding up the AP's to their own Network but it doesn't seem practical right now, plus I have the AP's in WDS. Anyways
you would think there would be a simple way to see what AP a user is registered to. This would give you an idea of what area they are located to pin point the issue, anyways if anyone has an alternative can you please leave you suggestion here for other people trying to do this.

Thank you!

tgrand
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:04 pm

Depends upon how your network is set up.
If you have a form of authentication through radius or usermanager, then you could view the users session data which should tell you the IP address of the AP they are connected to.

semakka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:59 pm

use "area" option in your APs and CPEs and limit your clients to connect only to some APs, in case you don't have a "mobile" type of setup.
Use "access list" and limit your CPEs to connect to only few or one AP.

steven