Community discussions

MikroTik App

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Strange Issue that I'm not sure how to troubleshoot

Sun May 31, 2009 10:50 pm

Relay is a 12db NMP-5404 radio on a 100 foot tower.

Client is a 15db NMP-5404 radio on a house approx 2 miles away.

Signal is -67 with noise -99

Most of the time this connection is up 100% and works great. Every once in a while it will drop and not be able to connect for a few hours then will connect back with no problems.

Today I'm sitting at the computer the connection drops. I log into client rb433 and it says the connection just reset. The registration stays up for about 20 seconds and drops, then reconnects and stays up for another 20 seconds then drops.

Some times you scan scan for the relay and you can see it but can not associate with it. Today I could not even see the ssid. However, I switched over to the omni and I could see the ssid and could associate but if you would mac telnet you could get a few lines of text before the connection would drop. This connection was -85.

So I hop in the car drive to the office and log into the relay and examine other client connections and all seems well with the only one not working was the one with the issue. I noticed the relay a little slow (laggy) and I stopped the wireless card, changed frequency's and and the client unit with the issue was connected.

The client logs "dis-association".

The client has two radio's in it with the pigtails far apart, one going to an omni and the other the directional. Has clear line of site to the tower.

If the issue was the main relay then I would think others would have the issue too. As for the client side this is the third full set of equipment replacing everything each time.

So my question is what can I do next to try to isolate the issue?

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Strange Issue that I'm not sure how to troubleshoot

Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:06 am

You forgot to tell us what frequencies the two radios in the client are on. They are probably too close.