Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

marklodge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mount HP Omni upside down?

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:07 pm

I want to have 3 5gz sectors and 1 2.4ghz omni at 16m above ground level.
The omni is for serving internet to laptops around the high site.

Now, if i mount a vp omni at 16m the signal might go over the guys on the ground trying to catch it. Someone mentioned that an HP omni mounted upside down will fire the signal downwards, but i am not sure about this.

What do you suggest i should use to get a 360 degree coverage at ground-midpoint?

I know hp omnis are weak, but most laptops TX will not transmit over 400-500 metres, so i'm fine if i get a 500m coverage.

Looking forward to your suggestions

Nuke

Re: Mount HP Omni upside down?

Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:19 pm

At 400-500m it should work fine. But the only thing you are going to do by putting an omni upside down is giving it a greater chance of getting its internals wet, because its not the way it should be mounted(not that I gonna care, the only good onmi is a broken one).

(I'm a great hater of omni's, and believe they serve a better purpose as adult toys than being antennas.) :lol:

marklodge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:31 am

Should i mount the omni higher or lower? Which will be better?

Nuke

Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:49 am

Check the antennas signal pattern. But in you case I'll mount it lower. It will catch less noise and the chance of signal going over your clients is smaller.

For hotspots I usually use a 12 db yagi pointed into the ground. If I was in your case I would use 3 yagis pointed 120deg from each other. as close as you are from your clients the yagi's sidelobes should cover the full 360 deg around the tower.

marklodge
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:35 am

Check the antennas signal pattern. But in you case I'll mount it lower. It will catch less noise and the chance of signal going over your clients is smaller.

For hotspots I usually use a 12 db yagi pointed into the ground. If I was in your case I would use 3 yagis pointed 120deg from each other. as close as you are from your clients the yagi's sidelobes should cover the full 360 deg around the tower.
Thanks for the reply, but as i understand it, to run 3 yagi antennas i would need another Routerboard, is that correct?
My current RB600 level 4 has four radio cards, and i'm running 3 sectors from it already.
Check the antennas signal pattern.
I'm a but confused here, are not all omni VP antennas signal pattern the same?

Nuke

Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:53 am

Or you could use a daughter board on the RB600.

The omni's signal patterns differ quite a bit, especially in 'signal elevation' I'll call it. The higher the gain of the antenna the less the elevation is normaly.

semakka
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks for the reply, but as i understand it, to run 3 yagi antennas i would need another Routerboard, is that correct?
My current RB600 level 4 has four radio cards, and i'm running 3 sectors from it already.
use a daughter board - RB604 or use high power radio with a 3 way splitter

steven