Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Chofex
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How can I get to connect 30 CPEs using 256Kbps each?

Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:35 pm

This is a new thread from here http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 63#p161063

A WISP once told me that I could achieve 30 CPEs using 256Kbps each, at the same time.
But so far, I haven't been able to...

Constrains:
All CPEs are the same model and brand.
AP is RB433AH + XR2 + omni antenna, gets Internet from CM9 + grid antenna at 5.8 from NOC.
And, of course, there's pretty much noise in the air...

So, how should I try to configure both (AP and CPEs) to get the most of 2.4 ??
Just to declare it, it's not a must, wireless network is all bridged, and users are managed by a HotSpot at NOC.

Chofex
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: How can I get to connect 30 CPEs using 256Kbps each?

Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:10 pm

That's funny! I thought this thread would get lots of comments!
There has to be MANY users with a star network: a central NOC transmitting at 5.8 to many repeaters retransmitting at 2.4 to a bunch of CPEs each...
And most of them are heving trouble with interferences and low throughput issues that we could talk about...
I believe this subject is worth many comments... I can explain what I have, if anyone is insterested!

nikolas
just joined

Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:56 am

Hello,

I'm not running a WISP setup here but I'm using Mikrotik for some time now. I had a problem with throughput and latency that i was trying to solve for few months.

As I've browse the net and this forum i found out that ONE bad client can kill your AP. From the screen shot on your other thread i can't see the CCQ column that i think you should monitor. Maybe you have the same problem as i had.

During low usage hours the network was fine i had good speeds and good latency 1-3ms, but during the night my throughput was low and latency was jumping to 100-300ms even 900ms some times. The first thing that come to my mind was that there is too much noise or traffic when all other neighbor AP's are transmitting(I can see 60+ AP's when i do a scan, on my last scan i saw 74 neighbor AP's), so i started changing channels scanning for interference and many other things that usually can kill your wifi network.

But after a while I've noticed one client that had fair signal around -75 when he starts using the link his CCQ drops to 20-30% and the latency goes 100ms+ and throughput on the AP is very low. Because I'm running my network with friends I've disconnected that user and the network was fine in the next 24h. So we changed that users hardware and everything is OK now.

To troubleshoot the problem during the busy hours open the registration tab and monitor the CCQ column. If there are clients with low CCQ (lower then 80-90) disable access to those clients and do the btest again. Also you can monitor the CCQ on 5GHz links maybe you have the problem there and it's killing your main backbone link.

My few months of research helped me i hope it will help you also.

Regards,
Nikola

Chofex
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:26 pm

THANK YOU NIKOLAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
I'll give it a try tonight. If that's it, I'm gonna owe you BIG !!!!!!

Chofex