Community discussions

MikroTik App

catallguy
just joined
Topic Author

Adding Local Ethernet Port to HWMP node

Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:44 am

Hey all... I'm playing around with HWMP, seems to work pretty well, but I can't seem to get ethernet ports (other than gateway) onto the mesh. Seems like fdb or routing thing... mesh thinks they are outsiders or something.

Any ideas to point me in the right direction? can't find enough documentation/posts on some of the mesh configuration options. Not sure if I should be looking at ip routing, other routing, mesh options.. maybe firewall (though I've disabled), or maybe I need to futz with ethernet port config (I've been trying with/without adding an IP address to the ether1 port, and with ether1 inside/outside of interface-mesh-port group.

Right now, I have ether1 added to interface-mesh-port as auto, and can ping back/forth from connected machine to router, but can't get machine traffic past the router. It seems like it is showing up as an "outsider" all the time. Should my goal be to get this to show up as "local" port?

General setup is like on wiki though I am using dynamic-mesh rather than static http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/HWMP%2B

Full chain of what I've got .... Internet <=> Firewall/Router <=> Subnet 103 <=> [MT MESH PORTAL: Subnet 103 to MESH subnet 104] <=WDS_dynamic_mesh=> [MT Mesh Node] <=ether1=> PC on Mesh Subnet

I can ping all the way to the internet from the MT device itself, but just can't get the machine connected to it via ethernet to do that. I see some logging all the way to my edge firewall from the machine but I don't think the mesh is accepting traffic back as it doesn't think this machine exists in routing tables etc (not 100% sure of this statement but think this is the case). My main router is sending all traffic for this subnet directly to the mesh portal node... that seems to be working fine.

one main question is do mesh-portal and destination-only config options have any bearing on this? I'm kind of guessing that mesh-portal is only for connection to larger networks, not so much for a machine directly connected to mesh via ethernet... true/false?

I'll pay my wiki tax if I can become knowledgeable about HWMP with help from y'all!

One last note, the node in question is running 3.9 RouterOS and the portal node is running 4.x beta.

netrat

Re: Adding Local Ethernet Port to HWMP node

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:04 am

Upgrade to the latest RouterOS release. I had some trouble with HWMP+ and earlier RouterOS releases. Check the changelog, there has been alot of changes to the mesh protocol.

catallguy
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Adding Local Ethernet Port to HWMP node

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:07 am

thanks for the nudge in that direction, netrat! worked like a charm with a different MT unit with most recent beta. same config. whew!