Community discussions

MikroTik App

opalit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Solving 20km wireless link issues

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:28 am

This is something I am getting over my 6k and 1k links, it has been happening for about 5 weeks, always between 4:30 and 8:30 PM GMT, the spectrum anylyser shows interference across every single channel of the 5Ghz range, it is across the whole range and lasting about 5 mins max, it knocks out all the bridge links but not the AP's, except I am using Ubiquiti, that is why I have just purchased the Sextant radios to see if they are working any better.

Could it be the solar flares.

shadowskippie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:18 am

at a regular time and daily?

I have never known the sun to be that specific with it schedules.
Anyways, it may be something else, but i doubt it is the sun.

One question though, I'd like to know if those sextants work better then the UBNTs, i'm trying to get my boss to use the Mtik equipment over the UBNT equipment for transparent links

esfahanweb
just joined

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:48 pm

it's clear that sextants work better then the UBNT

Basiley
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:17 pm

maybe something industrial/military ?
or commercial stuff improperly installed ?
If you had spectrum analyzer, GNURadio, WinRadio with this band module and etc - you can actually get some details.
but generally only feds had hardware and experience to locate this both in time, frequency and location.
maybe worth contacting your region communications suprevisors/inspectors.
generally NOBODY should shouting with SUCH transmission power on ISM bands. ever !![in civilian time]
talking about YOU case - such bands and such outputs - usual[similar] to radio-relay stations and [Especially!]for tropo-scatters. some mobile Tropo stations [usually military/gov't]use, despite small size - output measured in KW and even MW !! [but more densely occupied tropo was in K-Band]. Radars can do too, but they working on persistent basis, except some space-sensing and other specific, so wouldn't be related to timed/sheduled issues/troubles.

p..s
remind me one story when overloaded cell station with improperly installed[broken] bandpass filter severely cripple other stations nearby and even wi-fi in proximity.

CyB3RMX
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:31 am

at a regular time and daily?

I have never known the sun to be that specific with it schedules.
Anyways, it may be something else, but i doubt it is the sun.

One question though, I'd like to know if those sextants work better then the UBNTs, i'm trying to get my boss to use the Mtik equipment over the UBNT equipment for transparent links
Im running Ubiquiti 90 degree 5GHz sectors 19dbi with 711GA-5HnD as an AP, and have hooked around 30 sextants and 15 SXT 5HnD and the farest SExtant its at 13.2 km from the ap and have a -72dBm and a 14mbps throghput. They work like charm with nv2 and dual chain enabled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CyB3RMX
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 am

maybe something industrial/military ?
or commercial stuff improperly installed ?
If you had spectrum analyzer, GNURadio, WinRadio with this band module and etc - you can actually get some details.
but generally only feds had hardware and experience to locate this both in time, frequency and location.
maybe worth contacting your region communications suprevisors/inspectors.
generally NOBODY should shouting with SUCH transmission power on ISM bands. ever !![in civilian time]
talking about YOU case - such bands and such outputs - usual[similar] to radio-relay stations and [Especially!]for tropo-scatters. some mobile Tropo stations [usually military/gov't]use, despite small size - output measured in KW and even MW !! [but more densely occupied tropo was in K-Band]. Radars can do too, but they working on persistent basis, except some space-sensing and other specific, so wouldn't be related to timed/sheduled issues/troubles.

p..s
remind me one story when overloaded cell station with improperly installed[broken] bandpass filter severely cripple other stations nearby and even wi-fi in proximity.
You are replying to someone?... i get lost with your reply.

regards.

Degun
just joined

Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi sir. I don't think i am suppose to say this but i am just sharing my knowledge out. may be it might help. Well i am a guy who is mostly with the surfboard but i have learned that the more distance a connection has from the centre of the company or i guess its called the portal, the less the speed you get. Even i have experienced it out. Just saying. Might something be like that.

Cal
just joined

Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:17 am

Last edited by Cal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

filipearaujo
just joined

Sat May 04, 2013 10:02 pm

never will work u need put more high the antenna is ground on the moutain fresnel

Marconet
just joined

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:24 pm

In my years of experience I came through a very strange distortion unit An old tv. maybe in this small community someone has it ; this is not the answer but it might be try to elevate your antenna el little bit more

shayanjameel08
just joined

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:13 am

, i did test that just now. changed the settings....

EMS3702
just joined

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:37 pm

I completely agree with Steve Loomis, you have ignored what RadioMobile is telling you about the path; that it is impeded in the first and second fresnel and I could not tell for sure but may be more than that. Increase your height, clear at least your second fresnel and I would be dollars to doughnuts you will see your 20db.
Rory Bowers
FCC GROL
Harris - Farnon certified microwave Field Eng.
(and Poway H.S. Grad!)
Fort Smith, Ark.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:58 pm

I'm shooting thru a high voltage powerline about 0.5 miles away, is it possible thats affecting it? Maybe the power on that line was turned off that time it got better? I wouldn't think so, but just a long shot.
I'v links running straight through low, medium and high voltage power lines. Some at distance, some relative close (<500mtr) and I have so far never noticed any disruption because of these.
The towers on the other hand, usually metal, can be a problem, specially when relative close (reflection of signals). So stay away from these...

CyB3RMX
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:06 pm

I don't think this has something to do with the distance. Signal should be around -51dBm with 28dBi antenna and 28dBm XR5 Transmitter.

I think the problem it's that the Fresnel zone isn't clear enough and you are having a knife effect just like mramos clearly said.

I think will help to put both antennas a little higher to clear the Fresnel zone completely.

Good day!
JB

elinstech007
just joined

Wed May 21, 2014 6:54 am

You need some AP, high gain atenna!

nhathaitrieu6
just joined

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:43 am

nope, the guy said he had 3. they were listed as satellite dishes, in the wrong category. he didn't know they were $280+ new :) these 3 were all new. cost me $300 total with shipping for 3 of them, yeee haw. The surplus seller said he got them from a lost shipping palette, so someone here is probably missing them : )

stratonetworks
just joined

Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:58 pm

At the begining of this post, for me is clear that height of warehousse's roof antenna is too low. The relfexion induced by metals warehouse's roofs is a nightmare for me on most situasions that I experienced.

For example, lift two meters the pole is enough for gain signa quality. The same occurs if you carry the pole at the edge of warehouse. This is even enough fresnel zone.

Also, I see on some photos that AC machines are on LOS and near of antenna, bad escenario too.

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:05 am

Here is one for you....

I company I know had a 30+ mile DS3 microwave link somewhere in the low 6GHz band. A DS3 is a 45 Meg full duplex link. They replaced their old out-dated DS3 microwave equipment inside their buildings (the shelter side of the wave guide (think of a wave guide like a hollow antenna coax) with a set of dual-polarity Mikrotiks connected to the wave guides. The tower mounted dishes were 8 or 10 foot dishes. The new Mikrotiks linked at 30+ miles had a signal strength somewhere in the 30s.. WOW !!!

Kinda makes me wonder - how far this could actually work if you had line-of-site beyond several hundred miles with 10 foot dishes? Anybody know what the distance record is for a Mikrotik ? I wonder if it would be possible to take two huge dishes and point them at the moon and bounce off the surface and connect to another Mikrotik. Might as well try to blow away the world record (about 237 miles) and beat it by 1/2 million miles - lol.

lindseynicole
just joined

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:49 am

No every noise in audio systems using wireless is due to interference, or even to the wireless equipment itself. Because interference is a known problem with wireless, it is common to blame it for unwanted audio noise.

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:02 pm

No every noise in audio systems using wireless is due to interference, or even to the wireless equipment itself. Because interference is a known problem with wireless, it is common to blame it for unwanted audio noise.
which is making sense, btw. by basically nature of EMI itself.
for example - my cellphones (of two kind)affect my speakers very notably, during use(even when system send something or just SMS arrived ;) and new graphics card of my friend - cause similar sound issue for him. that was one kind of 970 GPU's AFAIK he was tried to switch exemplar, brand, but problem persist so he vent to 980ti, desperate. and its solved issue only partially according to him(i quote "i miss good times with R280" or something alike that).

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:45 pm

which is making sense, btw. by basically nature of EMI itself.
for example - my cellphones (of two kind)affect my speakers very notably, during use(even when system send something or just SMS arrived ;) and new graphics card of my friend - cause similar sound issue for him. that was one kind of 970 GPU's AFAIK he was tried to switch exemplar, brand, but problem persist so he vent to 980ti, desperate. and its solved issue only partially according to him(i quote "i miss good times with R280" or something alike that).
Some good rules of thumb when it comes to electronic or radio noise out speakers:
- If the two devices are very close to each other, then you may get some cross-talk. If you double the distance, then you might cut the noise in half.
- Try putting a metal ferried bead around all cables (over the power cables and the speaker cables and all audio cables). The metal bead functions like a choke to block high-frequency noise.
- Try grounding everything possible.
- Very high power and/or very close side-by-side electronics will often have some from of noise to the other device.
- If possible, you might try flipping the power cord 180 degrees where it connects to the wall.

- If none of the above helps - then try these steps: Wrap everything in foil, ground the foil, put everything in separate solid metal trash cans with the lids on. Ooo - and also ground the trash cans using a #1 copper wire

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:58 am

Kinda makes me wonder - how far this could actually work if you had line-of-site beyond several hundred miles with 10 foot dishes? Anybody know what the distance record is for a Mikrotik ? I wonder if it would be possible to take two huge dishes and point them at the moon and bounce off the surface and connect to another Mikrotik. Might as well try to blow away the world record (about 237 miles) and beat it by 1/2 million miles - lol.
Polish students have managed to establish 250 km 5GHz link with Mikrotik and use Skype to verify quality.
http://mobirank.pl/2015/06/28/studenci- ... -z-250-km/
http://radiolinia.wireless-group.pwr.ed ... surements/

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:16 pm

im afraid combating EMI is more complex than can be emplained by few rules. or even few books :)

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:54 pm

im afraid combating EMI is more complex than can be emplained by few rules. or even few books :)
Yea - I totally know what your are saying about noise.

I have one remote location where my APs are about 500 feet from a multi-million watt military radar over-the-horizon system. You want noise - this is it. Even an Ethernet cable tester connected to both ends of a cable (not connected to equipment) shows the cable is active !

To somewhat remedy the noise problem, I used grounded metal shield backings on my antennas to shield the antennas from the radar. I also had to run my shielded Ethernet cables down the tower where the cable is located on the opposite side of the radar - thus I am using the tower legs to help shield and block the microwave from getting to my Ethernet cables. I also had to ground the shields on my shielded Ethernet cables in multiple places. Also, the building at the bottom of the tower is wrapped with a copper/metal screen mesh to help keep the radar microwave signals out of the building. The building has double metal doors where you open one metal door then close it behind you as you enter the building then you open the next inner metal door. Inside the building, everything possible is grounded.

I don't care for working up on the tower, I know it can't be good for your health - unless you are working on very cold day and want to stay warm - almost like a fly inside a microwave oven - lol

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:09 pm

i would mount the equipment on a rubber pipe on the top so its isolated from the mask
and run this cable

http://www.assemblymag.com/ext/resource ... ation1.jpg

to the bottom and ground as far away from the mask(reactor) generating the noice

so its a insulated grounding away from the source of the problem

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:00 pm

i would mount the equipment on a rubber pipe on the top so its isolated from the mask
and run this cable

to the bottom and ground as far away from the mask(reactor) generating the noice

Re - the rubber pipe
I tried that several times and it fried both ends of the equipment on the Ethernet several times - and I could not pass 10 or 100 meg full duplex Ethernet traffic without heavy data errors.

With the way I have things grounded now, with the non-POE ports, I can now pass 1 gig full duplex with very few data errors. If I try running the POE ports at anything beyond 10 meg, I still get high data errors. So I now use at least two Ethernet cables - the POE port for power only and a second (and sometimes a third) Ethernet port(s) for data.

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:58 am

do you have photos of this install on this location you have problems

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:33 pm

do you have photos of this install on this location you have problems
Next time I am up there I will take some photos of our tower and the surroundings - elevation almost 4300 feet.
Right now, there is 5 to 7 feet of snow up there. (FYI - there is also a door on the roof so that we can get in when the snow is really deep)

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:55 pm

and run this cable

Re - the rubber pipe
I tried that several times and it fried both ends of the equipment on the Ethernet several times - and I could not pass 10 or 100 meg full duplex Ethernet traffic without heavy data errors.

With the way I have things grounded now, with the non-POE ports, I can now pass 1 gig full duplex with very few data errors. If I try running the POE ports at anything beyond 10 meg, I still get high data errors. So I now use at least two Ethernet cables - the POE port for power only and a second (and sometimes a third) Ethernet port(s) for data.
Some idea; Install Netmetal radios. Use ethernet cable for POE-in only+backup, run fibre from central to the radio. No more issues on the ethernet side..... now you can focus on the radio signals....
(About the Radar, wouldn't it melt the snow away for you? :D )

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:03 am

re: (About the Radar, wouldn't it melt the snow away for you?

I can't help but wonder how 2,000,000 plus watts will effect a bird flying through the radar beam.

I have only seen a bird explode one time - and that was when an eagle landed on a very very very high voltage transformer. Everything on the bird was instantly vaporized and it smelled horrible and the light was blinding and the noise was a very loud buzzzzzz for about 3 seconds.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:12 am

I can't help but wonder how 2,000,000 plus watts will effect a bird flying through the radar beam.

I have only seen a bird explode one time - and that was when an eagle landed on a very very very high voltage transformer. Everything on the bird was instantly vaporized and it smelled horrible and the light was blinding and the noise was a very loud buzzzzzz for about 3 seconds.
Well, if the bird starts to smoke in full flight I think he is signalling dinner is ready..... :lol:

But yeah, most radars are revolving, so the beam is only pointed in some direction for a split second. And they will have a safety distance off course. I don't presume anybody is allowed to run in front of the radar for a while at relative short distance on a military installation.
But electronics might get a burst each time the signal beam will pass close or hit it/the building....

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:28 am

Well, if the bird starts to smoke in full flight I think he is signalling dinner is ready..... :lol:

But yeah, most radars are revolving, so the beam is only pointed in some direction for a split second. And they will have a safety distance off course. I don't presume anybody is allowed to run in front of the radar for a while at relative short distance on a military installation.
But electronics might get a burst each time the signal beam will pass close or hit it/the building....
Although this is a military radar system with some FAA use also, I heard it is also a phased array system. Where the inside will rotate on a round track and the antenna on the track is a multi-frequency phased-array set of panel antennas. Which allows the rotating track antenna to stop rotating and still have a decent over-the-horizon radar information.

FYI - I have 16 huge 180 pound 2.4 GHz phased-array 802.11 b/g systems from Vivato. They are still the most powerful point-to-multipoint 2.4 FCC licensed system out there. They managed to get them FCC registered as point-to-point which allows for higher power. Using a stock notebook computer, I could connect at 10 miles away (in a 90 degree beamwidth). Vivato went out of business because nobody could get past the price of $30K per AP. Each AP needed 48 volts at 400 watts.

TamziedHossain
just joined

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:26 pm

Anyway helpful post for the guys those who are working in ISP. keep it up. :) :) http://www.cybertelusa.com/

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:38 am

have you ever saw some new SOHO Wi-Fi routers ? 6x antennas !! 8x antennas !! and announced development of router with 10x and 12x !!!(but 4x and 6x of them advertised as "internal", Godness :)
thats crazy ! (and crazy-looking IMHO :) and eventually become mainstream so routers/AP become AFAR-alike radars in many respects. its Already in standard. all those "beam-froming" and aligned to, features...
just need bit more powerful CPU for calculations in radios and here you go .... fully manageable/adaptable in time/space/spectrum ;)

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:50 pm

have you ever saw some new SOHO Wi-Fi routers ? 6x antennas !! 8x antennas !! and announced development of router with 10x and 12x !!!(but 4x and 6x of them advertised as "internal", Godness :)
thats crazy ! (and crazy-looking IMHO :) and eventually become mainstream so routers/AP become AFAR-alike radars in many respects. its Already in standard. all those "beam-froming" and aligned to, features...
just need bit more powerful CPU for calculations in radios and here you go .... fully manageable/adaptable in time/space/spectrum ;)
A bit unrelated - however ...
Around 5 to 8 years ago ... I had some people here testing out a Google branded SOHO indoor Wi-Fi wireless router.  I think it had something like 8 internal antennas with some special kind of a directional diversity chip in it.  We drove out 12 miles from one of my towers, then placed it on the hood of my vehicle and got a connection.  My tower had a Vivato phased beam steering 2.4 GHz connection with the Google Wi-Fi at 11 meg 802.11 B mode.  The Google Wi-Fi was pretty awesome for a SOHO with no external antenna(s).  (FYI - I believe the Vivato base station is still the most powerful legal 2.4 GHz base-station access-point on the planet - because it functions as a sector multi-point but because of the beam forming directional steering of the signals, it was registered as a point-to-point system which can then use the higher power FCC regulations/laws.  FYI - A tower mounted 2.4 GHz Vivato weighs in at 180 pounds !!!
I can only assume the newer stuff these days is far better than the stuff we had back then.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:13 pm

A bit unrelated - however ...
Around 5 to 8 years ago ... I had some people here testing out a Google branded SOHO indoor Wi-Fi wireless router.  I think it had something like 8 internal antennas with some special kind of a directional diversity chip in it.  We drove out 12 miles from one of my towers, then placed it on the hood of my vehicle and got a connection.  My tower had a Vivato phased beam steering 2.4 GHz connection with the Google Wi-Fi at 11 meg 802.11 B mode.  The Google Wi-Fi was pretty awesome for a SOHO with no external antenna(s).  (FYI - I believe the Vivato base station is still the most powerful legal 2.4 GHz base-station access-point on the planet - because it functions as a sector multi-point but because of the beam forming directional steering of the signals, it was registered as a point-to-point system which can then use the higher power FCC regulations/laws.  FYI - A tower mounted 2.4 GHz Vivato weighs in at 180 pounds !!!
I can only assume the newer stuff these days is far better than the stuff we had back then.
Look, if you make the antenna big enough versus you put enough power behind it you can reach the moon. That's not an issue.
In regard to the amount of antenna, Ruckus already had 3 years ago 24stream 'n' multi-mimo system with beamforming. Browse for some pictures and you can count them yourself, all internal.
But because they'd work withing the regulatory domain my laptop in the open field lost connection after 100 meters. (And had to walk back 25 meters to get it back again, that's the disadvantage of beam forming. If the beam is lost there is no more beam.....)

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:59 pm

If you are talking about complying with FCC rules and regulations for point-to-point and multi-point 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connections, there is a huge difference.

FCC rules for multi-point (sector) 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi networks requires that for every 3-db of antenna gain, you must lower the radio transmit power by 3-db.
FCC rules for point-to-point 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi networks requires that for every 3-db of antenna gain, you must lower the radio transmit power by 1-db.

Thus - a point-to-point system following FCC rules and regulations will always give you a stronger signal.

Additional info and thoughts ...
a) A multi-point system is also subject to more noise because it has a wider area that is can also hear.  Thus no matter how much power you use to transmit with, if you can't hear the remote side because of local noise the network will have a lower SNR (signal to noise ratio).
b) The Vivato beam forming base stations I still have and use not only steer the transmit beam, but it also steers the direction you are listening from.
c) A Vivato (used in a multi-point environment) also will talk (transmit) to up to two clients at the same time - and can listen to up to two clients at the came time. (on the same channel)
d) A Vivato could handle 1,500 client Wi-Fi connections and still function.

The only reason Vivato went out of business is because buyers of long-reach Wi-Fi systems did not understand what the Vivato was actually doing and could not justify $30,000 dollars for an access-point.

About 9 years ago, we had some DOD (Military Department-of-Defense) engineers testing our 17 Vivato coverage in a 600 square mile coverage area.  They were blown-away by how well the system worked.  Thus the Military became one of Vivato's largest customers.

If is sounds like I am a Vivato fan - sorry about that - I am a huge Mikrotik NV2 fan with thousands of Mikrotiks in my network these days.

North Idaho Tom Jones

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:20 pm

Isn't it all about the money in the end? 
If we see here in Europe people are getting used to € 30,-/month for 10, 20 or up to 100megs nowadays, the earning model becomes more and more difficult.
I'll bet these Vivato CPE's weren't cheap neither...if they already had beamforming.

I've been testing some Ruckus stuff two years ago and although impressive in their prospects and many new technologies (beam forming, frequency hopping, band sharing, interference avoidance etc.) their price policy is such it doesn't make it interesting for bulk roll outs as we see with MT and Ubnt.

I have been tempted for a while to go for the eCambium product line but if I am to swap my network to something new I might as well go for something new that offers all in Wifi (a/c, beamforming and high capacity chipsets, GPS and smart noise reduction) at the same time. So I hope to deploy a Mimosa AP with some 70 clients within a month or two and got sort of guarantee I should be able to offer top speeds upto 50Meg and total aggregated throughput of over 1Gig per AP. Let's see how that works out. If it fails I lost a lot of money. If it works I'l probably say goodbye to MT-wifi in most of my network. (Their routers are still nice....)
I'd love MT but we are in such a high density spectrum with so many competition (mainly ubnt) I need something to stand out to still get my clients...

TomjNorthIdaho
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:40 pm

You are totally dead-on correct with the earning model being more and more difficult these days.

I am fortunate in one way that I have just about zero WISP competitors.  My business is owned by the Coeur d'Alene indian tribe here in North Idaho.  We have close to 400 square miles and my customers have little choice for who to go to for Internet.  Other than my company, customers can use a dish satellite company or a cell phone company data plan - both are very expensive if you move lots of data.

My only real problem is that 10+ years ago we started out with thousands of older B/G 802.11 networks in the 2.4 GHz band.  Now days, the 2.4 GHz band is saturated with customer owned home wireless Wi-Fi networks - which has resulted in the 2.4 GHz band becoming un-stable for Wi-Fi connections from my towers to the customer homes.  Within the last 2 years we have almost completed migrating most customers to fiber (fiber to the home) or to the 5Ghz bands using Mikrotik NV2 protocols.  With 5GHz Mikrotiks we offer account speeds up to 25 meg - and with fiber we offer speeds up to 1 Gig or faster (10-gig possible).

Ruckus is some good stuff if you want to follow industry compatible protocols where just about any Wi-Fi device can connect up.  One of my customers is an engineer/manager with Ruckus - and we had a good long talk about what I am doing and what Ruckus is doing.

North Idaho Tom Jones

JimTeo
just joined

Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:24 am

Hi all, I felt the key issues here is the freshnel zone which would be better if you fully cleared them either by raising the height of either end points, a little bit higher such as 10-metre instead of 5-metre currently and that would improves your radio connectivity right away. Hope it helps.

estar
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:33 am

That link looks normal to me without full line of sight I doubt you would do better. It's easy to get carried away with the fact that once the signal appeared to go to -60 in logs but that may have been an error or even that somebody setup a ap with same ssid and it had connected for a min giving false signal. I've only ever seen signals fluctuate like that over water naturally when it's very still but over land they don't normally.

HarBenly

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Woah, Nice one! Is it stable now enough? The distance is way too long.

ajack46

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:37 am

Surely it is 20kms is a a lot i think.

HarBenly

Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Indeed. These guys pulled hell of a job! good work guys!

Andrewyi12
just joined

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 am

From my point, signal strength has nothing to do with interference. I would like to suggest pigtail, fiber patch cable, and fiber optic transceiver for you! You can take 40G optical transceiver for a try! At present, there are many such optical transceivers on the market, such as 40G QSFP+ LR4, ER4 and R4...Using 40G-lr4 qsfp+, 40G-lr4l qsfp+ transceivers both can achieve that 20km network conectivity.

dcavni
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:29 pm

Since this is already on top i'm just gona use this topic.

Did anyone try to make Wireless bridge on 10 km range? Today i had i bit of spare time and i tried to connect to LHG XL 52 AC that i have at home with SxtSQ 5 AC from a hill 10 km away. Best signal i got while moving both antennas was -96 and that is practically unusable.

So my question now is, would MikroTik mANTBox ax 15s that has antenna gain 2.4 GHz - 12 dBi, 5 GHz - 15 dBi (the same gain in 5 Ghz range as SXTsq 5 AC) work in the same situation or not, since it should work up to 20 km (SXT SQ should work up to 12 km)? Because i'm planing to buy this antenna but if there will be no difference then maybe i should just use something else.

Wave 2 drivers on all devices.

jvanhambelgium
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:45 pm

Other than my company, customers can use a dish satellite company or a cell phone company data plan - both are very expensive if you move lots of data.
On a sidenote ; you feel any business impact/disruption from eg. Starlink services ? Rather cheap I believe & moving a lot of data is not really more expensive.

lindawhite
just joined

Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:50 pm

Achieving a wireless bridge over a 10 km range can be challenging, and it's not uncommon to encounter issues with signal strength and stability, especially in environments with obstacles or interference. Here are a few considerations and suggestions:

1. **Line of Sight (LOS):** Ensure there is a clear line of sight between the antennas without any obstructions such as buildings, trees, or terrain. Even minor obstacles can significantly degrade signal strength and quality.

2. **Antenna Gain:** Higher gain antennas can help improve signal strength and extend the range of the wireless link. The MikroTik mANTBox ax 15s with its 15 dBi gain in the 5 GHz range may offer better performance compared to the SXTsq 5 AC, especially if both devices have similar transmit power.

3. **Antenna Alignment:** Precise alignment of the antennas is crucial for long-range wireless links. Even slight misalignment can cause signal degradation. Use tools like signal strength meters or the signal strength indicator in the router's interface to fine-tune antenna positioning.

4. **Transmit Power:** Ensure that both devices are operating at their maximum allowed transmit power. However, be mindful of regulatory limitations and interference concerns.

5. **Frequency Selection:** Experiment with different frequency channels to find the one with the least interference. In the 5 GHz band, there are more available channels compared to 2.4 GHz, which can help mitigate interference issues.

6. **External Factors:** Consider external factors such as weather conditions (e.g., rain, fog) and radio frequency interference from other wireless devices or networks in the area.

7. **Professional Assistance:** If you're still facing difficulties despite troubleshooting, consider consulting with a professional wireless networking expert who can assess your setup and provide tailored recommendations.

In summary, upgrading to the MikroTik mANTBox ax 15s with its higher gain antenna may improve the performance of your wireless bridge, but success will depend on various factors including LOS, antenna alignment, transmit power, and environmental conditions. Be prepared to experiment and fine-tune your setup to achieve the desired results.