Community discussions

MikroTik App

couresportivo
Topic Author

Mesh or Traditional backhaul and AP's

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:05 pm

I am looking to setup a wisp using MT throughout. I am reasonably familiar with ROS, using it for some point to point bridges.

What is the best way to lay out a new network, how would the experts go? I anticipate having upto 10 AP locations and 2-300 clients?cpe's

Great Forum by the way.

ne0031
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Mesh or Traditional backhaul and AP's

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:42 pm

Quite an open ended request. Perhaps supplying some additional information will generate some response.

Projected services, throughputs, geographic environment, etc.

couresportivo
Topic Author

Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:36 am

Matt

thanks for reply.

I have a blank canvas, just looking to make life as easy as possible. Its a hilly terrain, with lots of small villages and farms.

At the moment I am leaning towards Nstreme Dual backhaul with Dual Polarity Poynting Antennae, between around 10 AP's, which will eventually be able to see each other, at the back of the hill at the centre of the plan.

However, I was just wondering whether it should be made as one large mesh environment? 5.8Mhz is completely free, lots of 2.4 interference. So looking like 5.8 backhaul and 5.8 CPE

The X's on the plan are the locations where I have agreements to host nodes. The black dot my office in the valley. The valley stretches east to west and is urbanised and well served by the local telco. Behind the Central hill[, is my target market, I anticipate around 8/10 AP;s with upto maybe 1000 customers eventually/b]. topographically it is a little challeng[img][img][/img][/img]ing, but you win some and lose some.

The plan as seen is 30km high and around 50 km wide

Your thoughts are welcomed

[attachment=0]outline.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ne0031
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:40 pm

Do you need to go from your office, to the node southeast, then west, then northeast to begin distribution? A traditional backhaul would likely serve you best to that point.

As far as interconnecting AP's, it might be useful to inject at 2 or 3 AP's with a backhaul link and mesh from there, it really becomes an issue of local topology and bandwidth needs.

couresportivo
Topic Author

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:27 pm

Matt

belatedly thanks for your reply, your idea seems good and has been deployed from this week.