Community discussions

MikroTik App

captainproton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

TPC & 802.11h

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:25 am

I want to use Mikrotik Routers for a backhaul connection.

Does Mikrotik RouterOS supports TPC for outdoor usage here in Germany.

As you know, otherwise you have to reduce the max Tx-Power by 50%. (-3dB)

captainproton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: TPC & 802.11h

Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:11 pm

as I found out, TPC is not supported.

I wonder a little, since microtik supports virtually every technique I can think of...
Maybe the hardware is not capable to do that!?

thadem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:39 am

no, its just the software that is missing it. even the vanilla-atheros-drivers support atpc afaik.

mikrotik doesn't care, they think its just the germans that do have such problems and they don't realize it is european law. perhaps they think it does not get controlled so we don't need to support it. thats a whole attitude, so it is unlikely this will change in the future.
if you need a decent backhaul with atpc you could use lancom, they do support everything. meconet in germany also has two other options, one self invented and one from poland or czech republic i think. ask them. with mikrotik you are pretty much lost when it comes to atpc/dfs2. they don't even tested their radar patterns in the new versions according to that thread. http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17261
so i wouldn't wait but instead get some gear that is compliant to all laws and use mikrotik at all only in ptmp-installations. looks like a long feature list is more important to them than compliance.

captainproton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:49 am

I am using Lancom for a while already but I wanted to look for an alternative because this stuff is "not really unexpensive".
By now I am using Mikrotik for the routing only.

Osbridge support told me, that all theire 5 GHz equipment supports 802.11h. I will have a closer look at this...