Community discussions

MikroTik App

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Need suggestion of AP product

Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:40 pm

Hi, i am currently using mikrotik as my router and i use external AP to give services to my clients. I am using AP from alcon and smartbridges. The performance of those AP is great but the problem is, they couldn't support many clients. The performance of AP would drop if i connect 10 users to the AP (total throughoutput is less than 400kbps). I am thinking of using routerboard and prism card as my AP, but i am not sure about the performance. Is there someone who has the experience with this who could give me suggestion about the AP product that i should use? I am thinking of supporting 30-50 users on 1 AP.

Thank you very much.

infomate
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:59 pm

The performance of those AP is great but the problem is, they couldn't support many clients. The performance of AP would drop if i connect 10 users to the AP
How can you say that the performance is great????

I have talked to a Dlink engr. and he said a typical Dlink AP would be able to support ~20 to 25 clients. Most MT users would swear that MT RouterOS/AP would be able to handle a lot more than your requirement, but the more client the more CPU and mem you need. Theres a topic on Celeron CPUs, AMD semprons and Pentium M discussing the pros and cons of using these PC boxes. Good luck.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:40 pm

Great means that when i tried to ping from client to AP radio, the reply is <5ms and the average is 3ms. I have talked to smartbridges technician too, and they tell me that their product could support up to 64 wireless clients and when we upgrade the firmware, it could support up to 128 wireless clients. But when i asked them further, they said that it could support up to 20 wireless clients without degrading the performance, but the real is that i could only go for 10 clients. So i am looking for other AP that could support more than that. Could mikrotik routerboard + prism wireless card give me the performance?

Regards,
Lim[/u]

GJS

Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:00 pm

smartBridges AP can support many more than 10 clients in a real world scenario. Are your clients continually uploading or something? Do you have any bandwidth control in place?

The issue with client loading on a AP can be because of the "hidden node" effect. This is a limitation of the 802.11b MAC layer so it could be that no 802.11 AP can help you.

You may want to consider:

1. Using a polling MAC layer such as NStreme
2. Using more than one AP with directional antennas.

'Hope that helps.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:05 pm

Hi, i have all the things that you mention. I have bandwidth control for all of my clients (on router). So from the wireless CPE to my AP there are no bandwidth control, but when they tried to access the internet from my router, they get bandwidth shaping.

Yes, most of my clients are online gamers, so they need a quite real time bandwidth, and the total throughtput of all my users is about 300-500kbps. Could you help me with this?

I see from the forum that some users could support for 200-500 wireless users, how to do this? Are they using one AP or many APs?

Please someone help me with this. Thank you very much

valony
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:03 pm

HI shielder

Im Have AP using Mikrotik 2.8 OS and the hardware is a Pentium4 1.7Ghz, 512ddr ram memory and it contains 3 mikrotik wireless cards 2.4ghz prism 2.5. For the moment I have 100 users that connects to this AP and bandwidth througput for all users is 3 megabit. All users are hotspot users so I can tell you that until know Im very happy with it and it works great.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Cool!!!

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:26 am

Wow.... It's really cool... 100 users? That's what i am longing for...

I have been thinking of using a standard PC with wireless card as AP for clients, but when i think that i need to put a PC up in an 30meters tower, it stopped me. I am afraid of lightning surge and the maintenance of the PC. :cry:

Are you putting your PC on tower or on your roof? Maybe you could share some knowledge for me about setting a PC under the sky :wink:

Valony, could i know what is the ping latency from Mikrotik to users when all of the users are using the bandwidth? Because my purpose is for online gaming, so the ping latency i need is less than 10ms.

Thank you very much...

mperdue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:45 pm

I don't think you really need to wory about having low ping (within reason) but what you need is consistantacy.

I would rather have 20ms consistant pings than to have 5ms bounchign to 30ms.

Others could comment on this if my thoughts don't jive though.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:38 pm

About the mikrotik AP, will it give me the consistency that you mention about? Because i am really furious with smartbridge AP because of the it's performance.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Is Routerboard good enough?

Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:19 pm

Hi, i am currently planning on investing routerboard as my outdoor AP. But i am not sure about the performance of routerboard with 266 MHz processor. I need to mention that most of my clients are for online gaming, so i am need to support them with consistent service and ping latency. Had anyone ever use router board as AP for online gamers?
I really need strong advice, please help me with this.

Thank you.

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:34 pm

RouterBoard 230 Will give you nice performance IF you configure it properly and make sure the BIOS is up to date.
PRISM cards will eat your RB's CPU raw because of the crappy design of the chip (it is mostly accessed using PIO). On a regular 802.11b link at full speed (~5 mbit) it will use around 50%-70% of the cpu YMMV and that is not the way to get good response times.
Get an Atheros 5212 or 5213 chip card instead as these wont eat up all CPU time on RB.
Dont add too many cards to a routerboard, one, should really be enough considering the task.

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Range is in consideration

Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:41 pm

Hi, I am planning on using prism card because of the power itself. as it has 400mw power it would have a better coverage than an atheros 65 mw card. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Based on experience, how many client could the router board support? My clients are online gamers, so that the bandwidth is consistent. How many clients and what is the maximum throughtput of the radio if i use the router board as an AP?

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:13 am

I doubt you'd get anywhere near as good result with a PRISM than with an atheros card. You can get hold of 400mW atheros cards at mikrotik.com (front page). It is of course up to you.

maxfava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:03 pm

Any experience with CPE using Dlink 900 AP+ or DILINK 2000AP+ and the routerboard?

infomate
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:50 pm

I have used both 900 and 2000AP as CPE on a link about 2 blocks away. My transmitting AP is also a 900AP connected to ether port on MT.

DLink 900AP and 2000AP have been solid so far, problem is you cannot mix 900AP and 2000AP in client/repeater mode. So I ended up with both 900APs.

I would be glad to answer any particular question regarding my Dlink setup.

Robert S.

maxfava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:42 pm

Hi Robert and thank you for your answer.
My transmitting AP is also a 900AP connected to ether port on MT.
I have not understand, your basestation is MK based or 900AP based?

Now my system has as basestation 3 2000AP+ in AP mode to cover three areas connected by ether switch to the autentication server and to the backhall. The backhall is managed by MK OS to multi WAN setup.

Now I want to move the basestation to MK solution with 3 atheros 5512 cards CM9 or new 5514.

Let me know what you think.

infomate
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:12 am

I have a MT ethernet port1 connected to the internet and the other ethernet port2 to a switch. the switch distributes via cable to 2 900APs.
As for your plan to move to WLAN cards plugged-in onto the MT board, I think that is the best solution rather than the external APs.

The advantage of have the external APs is that it gives you the flexibility of moving the APs or adding any number of wired-APs with only a single MT hotspot box. this would be a good setup for events/conventions where connectivity is needed in multiple sites for short periods of time.

Good luck! I would love to hear your story when you are done.

Robert S.

maxfava
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:10 pm

Thank you again for your answer.
Now I'm providing the connectivity in FWA to 30 ctm with this basestation in city environment.
I want to move to a single MT and 3 atheros cards because
1) I will use only MT for accounting and autentication.
2) I will move the basestation to high building
3) I will change atheros cards in the future with WI-MAX cards. (I hope)

While now I use WIN 2003 server for connectiong customers by PPTP, and Router OS for route traffic to the multi XDSL line.

I'm not sure but I think that MT 532 will manage until 50 users in PPTP.
After 50 I wil buy a new PC to manage VPN connectivity, to mantain good performance.

Ciao
Max