Community discussions

MikroTik App

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Crazy Signal Drop and Recovery

Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:52 am

I have an RB433AH with 2xR5H connected to two 90 degree pac wireless sectors.
The one on the West side has always worked just fine. However, the one on the East wide acts VERY strange every couple of weeks:
One week graph:
One day graph:

As you can see, the signal drops by 15 dB within one hour, stays like that for 8 hours, and then goes back up by 15 dB in just an hour.
This happens with ALL the clients on that one AP sector.

I replaced the radio card and the cables - it still does this once every week or two.
The west sector, which is right next to it, always works fine.

It's also has nothing to do with rain since the signal goes down/up regardless of whether it rains.
Usually, nothing changes when it starts/stops raining. The client shown on the graph is only 1km away so this can't be a crazy atmospheric thing.
The RX, on the client side, drops just as much as the RX on the AP side.

Anyone knows what could be causing such very strange behavior?

thanks

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Crazy Signal Drop and Recovery

Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:48 pm

I would guess froma post I read before that this may be a antena or cable issue, as the temprature drops, there is condensation that builds up on a connector and the RF signal drops, basically from the water shorting out the feed. When it gets warmer, the moisture dissapates and the connection is not "shorting" which gets you a better signal.

Again this is comming from someone's elses post that I recall reading a couple weeks ago.

Hope that helps?

p.s. How did you get signal level to be graphed? I never looked into it, but this seems like something my router board will love to do for the very little traffic I have on it :-) after all, its using power to stay on, I might as well give it something to do..

HEy just noticed your in Winnipeg! Wanna set up a WLAN from Calgary to Winnipeg? I'm sure we need only one long link, Saskatchewan is so flat that I'm sure we can do it! hahahah