Community discussions

MikroTik App

rpress
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wifi and 3G interference

Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:20 am

I'm putting together a RB411U with a Sprint U720 minipci-e modem and a R2n wifi card. The client adapter is 802.11G, about 4 feet away. With the Sprint modem operating I am seeing packet loss on the wifi. About 2% loss even with no traffic. Ping times are mostly 1-5ms with the occasional 100+ms.

I've tried a bunch of settings on the R2n card to no avail. They are back to almost default now. The three antennas (2 for wifi, 1 for Sprint) are on the rear of the unit. Moving the Sprint antenna has little effect. I even put the Sprint minipci-e card back into the USB holder and plugged in in the front. Still creates packet loss.

Any ideas on how to resolve this packet loss?

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Wifi and 3G interference

Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:53 am

How do you know the sprint card has anything to do with your problem?

rpress
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:11 pm

How do you know the sprint card has anything to do with your problem?
Yeah, I should have mentioned this. With the Sprint card completely removed I did not see any dropped packets.

I have upped the hw-retries to 15 and this has helped somewhat. I have tried an R52n card, and a 802.11G Atheros card. Those drop packets as well.

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:05 pm

This is goung to sound stupid.... but...

Move the laptop away from the router a bit...

I have seen that woth 802.11N that bing too close can shut communication completely off !!

I have a Toshiba laptop that I have to keep about 5 to10 feet away, then it works GREAT...

rpress
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:25 am

This is goung to sound stupid.... but...

Move the laptop away from the router a bit...

I have seen that woth 802.11N that bing too close can shut communication completely off !!

I have a Toshiba laptop that I have to keep about 5 to10 feet away, then it works GREAT...
Ok, I tried that... Still drops packets, thanks for the idea though.

spire2z
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:37 pm

I have experienced this as well although with a separate 3g router too close to the wlan. I think it's like if you hear on the tv or radio the sound interfierance if a mobile phone is close. I can only imagine the transmitter is too powerful in those to be that close even though they operate on a different frequency. I suspect you will have to have two separate routerboards possibly in metal cases some distance apart?