Community discussions

ADN-
Topic Author

R2N 802.11n not connect (after 802.11n guide)

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:03 am

Hi,

Is shure that MT comunity is realy new to 802.11n thats why you could not find a bunch of post that could help to solve your issue.

after reading the 802.11n guide (http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/802.11n_Setup_Guide) and 4 days of trying to get a connection I came here to claim for help!!!

This is my setup

AP site
RB433
OS v4.3
R2N card
2.4 GHz 11 dBi Dual Diversity Antenna from hyperlinktek (http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=20297)

CPE site
RB411
OS v4.3
R2N card
2.4 GHz 11 dBi Dual Diversity Antenna from hyperlinktek (http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=20297)

The distance from AP to CPE is 850 meters with clear line of sight. I copy and paste the configuration from the guide to both RB (CPE & AP) after many atemps I change the nstreme values
Nstreme=disable polling=no framer=3200(default) policy=none(default)
Here is the sugested config on the guide

/interface wireless nstreme
set wlan1 comment="" disable-csma=no enable-nstreme=yes enable-polling=yes \
framer-limit=3998 framer-policy=best-fit

With that config i was getting a extensive data lost poll...... so i remove the ntreme setting and now there is a unstable conection (connect/disconect)

Any help or sugestions are welcome
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ADN-
Topic Author

Re: R2N 802.11n not connect (after 802.11n guide)

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Here is a progress update on my project..

After some brain storming with my friend fran66, we discovered (maybe obvious to some of you) that for the 802.11N the configuration must be like this:
on AP
Wireless mode = AP Bridge
CPE
Wireless mode = station pseudobridge

I can’t get a connection on my P2P with Nstreme enabled so I removed the suggested configuration
Nstreme=no
Polling=no
CSMA=no
framer policy=none
framer limit=3200 (default)

but with WDS I am able to get communication on this 802.11N P2P
WDS mode= dynamics
wds default bridge= wds bridge

The Tx power was changed too on both sides
Tx power mode=all rates fixed
Tx power=19

After this changes, I now have a stable link with pour performance as shown below
# INTERFACE RADIO-NAME MAC-ADDRESS AP SIGNAL-STRENGTH TX-RATE UPTIME
0 wlan1 CPE-ADN 00:1D:0F:BB:8C:1E no -89dBm@1Mbps 2Mbp... 52m31s

With a CM9 on this board and with the same distance, I get links with -41dBm on the registration table (with a 19db rootena).
I think antennas need a better alignment but when I proceed to perform the alignment, nothing happens. The mac address of the AP was introduced properly but when I press start, nothing appears on the screen. Am I doing something wrong?

I will continue working on this project. I am not sure if I have to change the dual diversity 11dbi antenna with the 2 19dbi 2.4Ghz grid antennas. I read that 5ghz antenna have better performance on dual nstream projects. I am not sure if it applies for 802.11N but my radio card, as described before, is a R2N on both sides and does not support 5ghz like the R52N.

I am open to any suggestions or ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

npero

Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:44 am

-88 is very low signal, try to get signal around -60. Align antenna check cable.

ADN-
Topic Author

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:09 am

Yes -88db is to low... I try align the antennas, but this time using the align script hack and the result was -82db that's the best signal i can reach....

I think I have to replace the 11-dbi dual diversity antenna

I found when you disable the WMM you got better throughput, with -82db I am able to reach 5.5Mbps of transfer, but when the connection reach big loads of data transfer the link comes down...

I need opinions from people using this patch dual diversity antennas, more helpfully is some has try with the same antennas that I am using..

Any comments?

ADN-
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:06 am

ok, ok, ok....

After many attempts to get this p2p working with the colaboration of my friend fran66, we found BUGS on the ROS v4.3 and here are the bugs

let me refresh you with the hardware for this p2p
AP = RB433 R2N
CPE = RB411 R2N

The antennas on both sites was the Hyperlink RE11DP

We start the troubleshooting with the antennas because the low signal on the registration -82db (to low for a link of 800 meters)
and we replaced with a Hyperlink 19dbi grid and we start setting all as a common link on 2.4GHZ band B only on both sites.. we get a link with a registration of -32db unfortunately the link was not stable, the log comes full with disconnect messages.

So we remove the radio from the AP and replaced with a CM9 and we get link with registration of -39db but unstable it was always connecting and disconnecting. this way we are trying to find were is the problem.... them we decide to replace the radio from the CPE with a CM9, the result was a more stable link but any ways still disconnected....

so we have 2 CM9 radios with rosv4.3 with unstable connection... now we proceed to downgrade to ros v3.0 and we get a estable link capable of registration of -30db with speeds of 54mbps with no disconnections....

SO HERE IS THE FIRST ISSUE WE FOUND ROSV4.3 IS NOT ABLE TO HANDLE A LINK ON THIS SETUP WITH R2N OR CM9

THE SECOND ISSUE IS WE WAS UNABLE TO SEE ALL OUR RB ON THE WINBOX LIST DURING THE ROSV4.3 WAS INSTALLED, THE ONLY WAY WAS USING THE PORT1 OF THE RB433 WITH THE PC CONNECTED TO PoE
LET ME AT THE PICTURES SO YOU CAN SEE

my advise there are still bugs on the ROSv4.3 that are not solved yet..... so we have to wait

I got a Question.... Is MIKROTIK really testing their hardware and OS before release or we are the mouse lab?

I buy 2 R2N for nothing

hare are the pictures
AP with CM9 and CPE with R2N
and the winbox bug with rosv4.3

npero

Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:08 am

Something is wrong with you configuration.
Try to lower card power to get signal around -60, also check band you need 2,4Ghz only G, set preamble mode to long.
Also try to change frequency maybe you have strong interference to this channel try some other.

ADN-
Topic Author

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:26 pm

At the beginning we try playing with the band and the TX power without progress...

thanks for your suggestion...