Community discussions

MikroTik App

asterisco
Topic Author

Nstreme2 can be 100% FDD?

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi

I'm planning a point 2 point link working as FDD with a pair of cards (one for each direction on both ends). I plan to use Nstreme2 for that link.

The question is that for legal aspects I must assure that the link is fully FDD (frequency division duplex) : each channel is used exclusively in one direction. I understand that with Nstreme protocol we can disable CSMA and specially the ACK that sends the receiver to the transmitter. Is this true?. If the receiver ACK can't be disabled, from a legal point of view, the channel is being used as TDD (time division duplex).

Thanks,
Antonio

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Nstreme2 can be 100% FDD?

Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:40 pm

don't know if it would help, but you could use tx-a/rx-b to get around legal issues. You would still be running in TDD mode and tx and rx will be in the same frequency (since you will be using 1 card), but you can use a bigger antenna on the rx side since that antenna (should) never transmit.

KillerOPS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:52 pm

i did some nstreme links with broken cm9 cards, using only the tx part or the rx part of them (broken diversity chip) and it worked flawless. And it's exactly what you need.

aaa

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:20 am

If you have broken diversity swich all direction is shorted to ground.Any usage is not possible.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:27 am

can someone post a pic of a diversity switch? I'd like to test some on my SR9 cards but have no idea where they are.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:07 am

If you have broken diversity swich all direction is shorted to ground.Any usage is not possible.
Typically, if you have a broken diversity chip you see a 20dB signal loss and it makes no difference whether you choose port a or b.

I've got a couple out there that took a minor lightning hit and lost the diversity chip. Still works quite well for those customers who's signal would normally be in the -30 to -40 range, puts them right in the sweet spot.

aaa

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:42 am

If you can make photo without RF shield , I can show you diversity swich. You can test with multimeter like on all other card. Later if someone is interesting I can try make short movie how replace diversity swich. Only I need find some camera :))

can someone post a pic of a diversity switch? I'd like to test some on my SR9 cards but have no idea where they are.

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:48 am

http://www.vallstedt-networks.de/Forum/ ... php?t=1355

It's in German so I have no idea what they're talking about, but the diversity chip is the small chip between the antenna connectors in the first pic.

I think the forum explains how to remove the diversity chip since further down the thread there is a similar pic with the diversity chip removed

asterisco
Topic Author

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:09 am

don't know if it would help, but you could use tx-a/rx-b to get around legal issues. You would still be running in TDD mode and tx and rx will be in the same frequency (since you will be using 1 card), but you can use a bigger antenna on the rx side since that antenna (should) never transmit.
Hi,

thanks for the response. The question is to confirm the "should" never transmit. If it really never transmits I can put a 50ohm load in the tx-a connector.

Regards
Antonio

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:46 am

Hi,

thanks for the response. The question is to confirm the "should" never transmit. If it really never transmits I can put a 50ohm load in the tx-a connector.

Regards
Antonio
I meant using tx-a/rx-b on a single card, in other words, NOT using Nstreme2.

Mplsguy
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:42 pm

each channel is used exclusively in one direction. I understand that with Nstreme protocol we can disable CSMA and specially the ACK that sends the receiver to the transmitter. Is this true?. If the receiver ACK can't be disabled, from a legal point of view, the channel is being used as TDD (time division duplex).
For nstreme-dual (the one that uses 2 wireless cards - one for tx and one for rx) you can be sure that receiving interface is not transmitting, all feedback is sent over transmit interface. ACKs, as in regular 802.11 are not used and therefore are not getting sent.

andreacoppini
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Interesting. This should be in the official documentation, as there's no definitive answer in the docs.

asterisco
Topic Author

Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:59 am

For nstreme-dual (the one that uses 2 wireless cards - one for tx and one for rx) you can be sure that receiving interface is not transmitting, all feedback is sent over transmit interface. ACKs, as in regular 802.11 are not used and therefore are not getting sent.
[/quote]

Ok. Thank you. This was exactly I need!!

Regards
Antonio