MikroTik App

shrick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Act-Timeout

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi All

I have clients connecting to one of my AP's with very high act timeout values - 174, 333 etc. When I disconnect these clients, they re-connect with proper looking values... 50-90us. All clients are set to 'Act Timout=Dynamic'.

My questions:

1. Will it improve connection performance if I set the act timeout values manually?
2. Must if be set only on the client side? What about the AP?
3. I did a test by setting one of the client's act timeout to 55. When looking under the 'Registration' tab on the AP, the act timeout value for this client is not 55. It will show some other value, in this case it showed 37? Why does the value shown on the AP differs from the value set on the client CPE?

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

shrick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Act-Timeout

Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:20 pm

I see the following:

On the AP, under the 'Status' tab, it shows an act-timeout value of 87. What does this value mean with a lot of clients connected? I saw that this is the highest value for all the connected clients, thus, the connected client with the highest act-timeout value, will show here?

I have clients that are 8-35km away from the AP? How does this variety in distance affect the act-timeout of the AP and how does this affect the whole PtmP performance for this AP?

Thanks

shrick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Anybody?

shrick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:10 am

Anybody has knowledge of this issue, please?

aaa

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:59 pm

I can tell regarding 802.11n that Dynamic is worse like you set it manualy.

JwTPN

Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:07 pm

I see the following:

On the AP, under the 'Status' tab, it shows an act-timeout value of 87. What does this value mean with a lot of clients connected? I saw that this is the highest value for all the connected clients, thus, the connected client with the highest act-timeout value, will show here?

I have clients that are 8-35km away from the AP? How does this variety in distance affect the act-timeout of the AP and how does this affect the whole PtmP performance for this AP?

Thanks
With clients over such a great range you will need to have dynamic ack timing for sure.
It can be a major performance slow down on systems and from experiance the best effect is to keep all customers within an approx 12km range, so you can do something like put a "Longhaul AP" in that you put your 15km+ customers on and everyone else on the "shorthaul AP"

I would imanagine with an ap like that if its got a few busy customers when a near customer and far customer are working you have horrible latency?

Cheers

shrick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:39 pm

mmm, OK, interesting. Thanks for the information, much appreciated.