Hi..

Anybody try this R5nH???
How good of it compare to the R52Hn???

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: R5nH - 1x1 MiMo card...

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:39 am

I ordered five units Saturday and should be able to test them later this week on my long ptp links. I will report back when I have more information.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:18 am

What would be nice to see is if it's an upgrade to the R52 in
all situations.
Datasheet says the 11a sensivity of the R52 is 3db better at 6MBit.
We get pretty usable results for customers connecting with -85db
with R52. Looking at the datasheet says this is not possible with
R5nH. At 54MBit they share the same sensivity????

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Hope you allow me to wish you all the best..
And the result is very good...

:) :) :)

Remember to share ok..
Cheers..

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:48 am

So far, not great. Alot of my time has been occupied riguring out whether some of the cards I ordered are bad. I get strange signal strength readings that bounce all over the place and the cards get incredibly hot. I don't want to say anything conclusive but so far I have seen nothing to indicate they are any better than the SR71 line. I will do some more testing but for now I have not been blown away by performance or the links it has produced.

One of the problems I am working on is where about 10dbm of signal strength has gone from one side of my link. I have a working 26 mile R5nH link that I have used sucessfully and happily with XR5, SR71-15, and Rocket5M-HP units. The signal strength was always symmetrical between -55 (XR5s), -64 (SR71s), and -58 (Rockets) but I am getting a big split on the R5nHs. One side is -65 and the other side is -75. It also bounces around too. I've changed out my pigtails to Lairds without much help. I'm going to try to replace the card on the other end to see if that will help.

Right now with the existing link I get the following results:

A to B: 48mbps TCP (side w/ -65)
B to A: 25mbps TCP (side w/ -75)
Both ways: 24mbps TCP symmetrical

With UDP I get about 80 to 90 each way and 45 at the same time.

The work continues but I am not in love so far...

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:01 pm

So far, not great. Alot of my time has been occupied riguring out whether some of the cards I ordered are bad. I get strange signal strength readings that bounce all over the place and the cards get incredibly hot. I don't want to say anything conclusive but so far I have seen nothing to indicate they are any better than the SR71 line. I will do some more testing but for now I have not been blown away by performance or the links it has produced.

One of the problems I am working on is where about 10dbm of signal strength has gone from one side of my link. I have a working 26 mile R5nH link that I have used sucessfully and happily with XR5, SR71-15, and Rocket5M-HP units. The signal strength was always symmetrical between -55 (XR5s), -64 (SR71s), and -58 (Rockets) but I am getting a big split on the R5nHs. One side is -65 and the other side is -75. It also bounces around too. I've changed out my pigtails to Lairds without much help. I'm going to try to replace the card on the other end to see if that will help.

Right now with the existing link I get the following results:

A to B: 48mbps TCP (side w/ -65)
B to A: 25mbps TCP (side w/ -75)
Both ways: 24mbps TCP symmetrical

With UDP I get about 80 to 90 each way and 45 at the same time.

The work continues but I am not in love so far...
It would be interesting how the R52Hn would perform in the same scenario
using one chain. As it has much better sensivity it should give better performance.

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:41 pm

using one chain. As it has much better sensivity it should give better performance.
I can grab a couple next time I order, but on this link senstitivty shouldn't be the problem as I should be a solid -63 using these cards on both ends with very little fade.

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:28 am

I can grab a couple next time I order, but on this link senstitivty shouldn't be the problem as I should be a solid -63 using these cards on both ends with very little fade.

I have try 1 unit R52Hn card, it's just work for 2 minutes then gone, waiting for the RMA.

aaa

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 pm

What's happen with this card?

I have try 1 unit R52Hn card, it's just work for 2 minutes then gone, waiting for the RMA.

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:45 pm

It similar with the R5h, connect it to the Antenna, then power on.

The link up awhile, then routerboard auto reboot, then login again with the winbox, you can see the wireless card gone.

I open the enclosure box, the wireless card is very very hot, it like the R5h, confirmed, card was burned.

Aih~....

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:41 pm

I open the enclosure box, the wireless card is very very hot, it like the R5h, confirmed, card was burned.

Aih~....
I have felt for myself how hot these cards get. I literally could not touch the card for 3 minutes after I pulled it. Not just uncomfortably hot. It could have easily given me first degree burns if I held it for more than 2 seconds.

If these cards burn up like the R5H I swear I will never use another mikrotik wireless card again. It is too frustrating.

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:08 am

r52hn does get *very* hot. I got two, waiting on RMA myself.

This one didn't die entirely, but apparently the transmitter amp did. Rx -50s, tx -80s, regardless of what the power is set to.

Worked for an hour or two while configuring the link.

aaa

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Can you give this RMA card mac address?

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:52 am

000c4262b9dd

Worked fine until it got hot the first time. I was configuring the AP and testing, then noticed my signal was no longer in the -50's, it was -80s. Reboot, no change, turned it off for an hour or so, then it worked fine for about a half hour, then did it again.

Tried it again a couple of days ago and it won't work properly. -80 tx, -50 rx. Never powered on without an antenna. The pigtails, cables and antenna were all used with other cards and work fine.

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:22 pm

I can say I observed similar issues with at least one of my R5nH cards. Sig strength of about -10 less than the rx on what has always been a symetrical link in terms of signal strength. I don't have time to rigorously test all variables as it's a 26 mile link and would require all kinds of driving swapping this and that to isolate.

erastusec

Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:38 pm

I am using a lot of the nH cards. Also had one that got extremely hot but I think it is something to doe with the output going in a short and then generate the heat. Would say we will get a couple of them until all first flaws has been resolved

Howe ever the impact on our network is g8. It helped with the speed and throughput. I think it is much better than the 5H. I have converted many of my channels to a dual P dish and then used on nH for rx and 1 nH for TX ( two dishes) my network is lot beter than this. I do find that the 433 ah are to light for this configuration and I only use dual core 386 PC for it. I only use Mikrotik nH as I find them better than the other makes.

It is no prob to generate hi volumes of data. We alos run video and VOIP on all our back hauls and there is a major improvement on it.

I love this radio and we are converting our complete network to this. We have some 52 hi sites with multiple links and we are truly crazy with it. We are replacing 100's of the other radios with it

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:28 pm

I am using a lot of the nH cards. Also had one that got extremely hot but I think it is something to doe with the output going in a short and then generate the heat. Would say we will get a couple of them until all first flaws has been resolved

Howe ever the impact on our network is g8. It helped with the speed and throughput. I think it is much better than the 5H. I have converted many of my channels to a dual P dish and then used on nH for rx and 1 nH for TX ( two dishes) my network is lot beter than this. I do find that the 433 ah are to light for this configuration and I only use dual core 386 PC for it. I only use Mikrotik nH as I find them better than the other makes.

It is no prob to generate hi volumes of data. We alos run video and VOIP on all our back hauls and there is a major improvement on it.

I love this radio and we are converting our complete network to this. We have some 52 hi sites with multiple links and we are truly crazy with it. We are replacing 100's of the other radios with it
Did you compare it to the R52n card?

erastusec

Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:51 pm

yes I replaced them with the R5nH and find it better.

erastusec

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 am

I will I love the R5NH radio & PC & RB18 works wonderful as a cluster.

We are now running the R5n at the clients house and the RnH at hi site.

We get VOIP data & videos streaming like a dream.

I have tried other manufacturers and must admit the radios from mikrotik is g8

What would be very nice is if one could get "notch filters" so that it can be tuned to filter out unwanted channels.

It would be absolutely super if the notch filter could be mounted between the radio and the antenna this will mean that ons can adjust the center freq to the freq of the channel and there will be very little interference.

It will be abs g8 to get that

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:10 pm

How is the sensitivity with weaker links?

Is this -85 rx sensitivity correct, or is this the point where the link drops to 6mb?

erastusec

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:13 am

Did not test it all our channels sensitivity is better than -70

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:00 pm

We had a really big testing problem, we updated the brochure with correct values.

Like you said - too bad to be true :)

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Good to hear. I've got several on the way.

Seems the MMCX cards are better about interference than the ufl, so I wait, not so patiently...

erastusec

Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:32 am

Stupid question

What are the exact functions of HT Tx chain 0 chain 1
HT Rx Chain 0 chain 1

Is it this :

* ht-rxchains (0,1,2 - any combination of these)
* ht-txchains (0,1,2 - any combination of these)

Which antenna connector to use for TX or RX. You can use one of these or multiple (depending on your antenna configuration). On MikroTik R2n and R52n card there are 2 antenna connectors and to use both of them ht-tx/rx-chains should be set to 0,1.

Thus I can Rx on Chain 0 Tx on Chain 1 and switch off Tx 0 and Rx 1

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:59 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009
MIMO is a technology which uses multiple antennas to coherently resolve more information than possible using a single antenna. One way it provides this is through Spatial Division Multiplexing (SDM). SDM spatially multiplexes multiple independent data streams, transferred simultaneously within one spectral channel of bandwidth. MIMO SDM can significantly increase data throughput as the number of resolved spatial data streams is increased. Each spatial stream requires a discrete antenna at both the transmitter and the receiver. In addition, MIMO technology requires a separate radio frequency chain and analog-to-digital converter for each MIMO antenna which translates to higher implementation costs compared to non-MIMO systems.
Both ports are tx and rx. You can use one for each, one for both, both for rx and tx...

802.11n uses spatial streams to increase bandwidth. Above is a small bit of info, I recommend reading the page entirely.

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Can't comment on the R5H, I'm looking to get some of those in for testing.

The R52N (non high powered model) is working very well.. I have it setup on a ~8mile link with an ARC Dual polarized 5GHz antenna on both ends coupled with an RB411AH and i'm pushing 75mbps UDP and about 50mbps TCP...

I'm sure actual throughput is more as the test was run from RouterBoard to Routerboard.

This was with signal -69/-68 NSTREME enabled w/ CSMA disabled.

I'll have to get some of the H models in to see what that does for signal and throughput.

erastusec

Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:21 pm

I wonder how many had failures with the R5nH. We had two that got so warm that you could not touch them 1 with sensitivity problems one that can not be scanned as a ap bridge.

who else had similar problems?

Axiom
just joined

Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:58 pm

Have about a dozen R52Hn's in production and twice that number R52n's. These are new installs or replacing DCMA-82's and DBII-2/5's primarily installed on 600 boards with a few 433AH's. All running POE. We did have heat/burnout problems with the DBII's. No issues with the R52n's that replaced them in the same environment with no other changes. The R52Hn's are newer to the network and have only been in the field about a month. So, far we are very happy with both. No problems to report.

PS. Thank you MT for the MMCX connectors on the R52Hn.

-Nelson-

colebert
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm pretty certain that 3 of my 6 R5nH cards are bad. They all do the same thing... one card transmits at normal rates and the other is 20-25db lower. For example, on a 18 mile link one will be at -47 and the other at -69. I have three of the six I ordered that do this. They also get very very hot to the point I have to wait about 3 minutes to touch them and they melt the plastic mac address sticker on the backside of the radio.

I have swapped pigtails, jumper cables, routerboard, routerboard slots, and tested suspect cards on different links. Results are the same. Very aggravating. It is a very small sample size but if the failure rate really is something like 50% then I might as well just buy SR71-15s and be done with it. They work.

That said, I just broke my promise and ordered 4 more just to test my conclusions again and (hopefully) have one or two working cards to go with the three I already have. I have no expectation of actually being able to use these cards but I want the satisfaction of knowing for sure. Luckily I'm on the ground for all my work. I feel sorry for anyone who puts these things up on towers only to find out about this behavior.

aaa

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:38 am

Hi, can you put broken wireless card in any RB and measure voltage at this point? I must be close with +5V DC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

erastusec

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:34 am

Yip there are many out of box failures. So far we had 8

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi, can you put broken wireless card in any RB and measure voltage at this point? I must be close with +5V DC
Would you mind to tell which one?
The arrow seem point on both component, can circle it?
8) 8) 8)

aaa

Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:22 pm

I mean measure voltage between any of this component and ground. Like ground you can use mPCI holder palaces or RF shield.