Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

senano
just joined
Topic Author

Degree final project

Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:51 pm

Hi, I am working on my final project, needed to get my degree, and I what I want to do is to make a mesh net with mikrotik based hardware. The main points at the beginning:
- Full duplex speed with higher bandwidth available, to get this, I am planning to use 2 x R52hn cards, one sending and one receiving at 5 Ghz band
- Weather proof, to make the net work at all places.
- 3g backup
- Flexible and expandable network. Adding more AP is a must, the network must be expandable under demand.

The idea is to use it on difficult places, like natural disasters and things like that, with a fast deployment system.

I have already bought 2 x 433 routerboards, one with USB and microsd, and one without, also both boards have 3 x r52hn cards, each one with a 5db omni antenna.

At this point, I am trying to get the links work, but I am getting lost because I really don't know what would be the best way: bridge, mesh, wds... you know, so many similar concepts that I am not moving on, so... I would appreciate any help.

At this moment, I need to get 5 Ghz link working with 2 cards each side. Theoretically I will get a 200 mbps link.

Do you know any example for my scenario? I have been searching but I can only get AP - Station scenarios with Wireless to ethernet networks.

znet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Degree final project

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:02 pm

You are cheating! If you dont know how to do this, you flunk!

senano
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:14 am

You are cheating! If you dont know how to do this, you flunk!
Ok man, I am just learning to use the mikrotik devices. Any help appreciated, but if you only have to say that, it would be more productive not writing anything next time.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:18 am

Hey, that's what the karma feature is for, senano ;)

about mesh, we have a few articles here:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_Setups

also a video presentation here:
http://www.tiktube.com/index.php?video=341
No answer to your question? How to write posts

senano
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:32 am

Hey, that's what the karma feature is for, senano ;)

about mesh, we have a few articles here:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_Setups

also a video presentation here:
http://www.tiktube.com/index.php?video=341
Thanks Normis, I already read all those articles but I will re-read them again to see if they can help with my configuration.

znet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Degree final project -- HOW I REALLY LEARNED WIRELESS

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:13 pm

I stand my ground Normis. Thats what MUM and the entire MT paradigm is. You give us everything to make a fantastic network in inumerable ways. With MT and ROS, the beauty of it is in the learning. There is no one correct way to do things in the wireless world. Go out to the events at night at a MUM and you will find 10 different ways to solve every problem. When I hire techs, I dont ask how much they know, they wouldnt be able to tell me anyway. I work with them and determine their level of problem solving skills--troubleshooting.
If there was the purported 'disaster' that senano desires to help solve communications problems, you must be able to solve problems in real time, on your feet, in lightning storms. If the first time a set of equipment is collected, senano starts calling friends to figure out how to do it, he will be very stranded--because the phones might not even work--then what would senano do?
The first significant challenge he has--get a degree to work in this industry--he has equipment, maybe somewhat familiar with it, but has nothing really working yet. If he would have already created a network, what I call a 'working prototype' and complained that it wasnt performing as expected, and asked if he was going down the wrong path--that would have shown initiative. Help might have come then. How can you learn what works if you havent broken anything yet?
MT brings you the ability to make almost anything work, if you just have the fundamental understanding. If the instinct is to call someone, and if the Internet is down--no Googling!--what will drive the newbie to the solution?

Make a poorly performing network that can only handle one VOIP call, send email very slowly, and you might make a difference. By that experience you will learn what you could have done better. You will start playing around with methods you were afraid to try. You will make the link better by trying things you werent sure about. You likely will come up with a better way than others might have steered you---I know thats true!

So the best advice I have to senano is to learn by doing. Learn by making devices connect and determine how well they work--or dont work. Try the different techniques and topologies to see if they even work. The beauty of MT is that you can do that, and there is no doubt you will learn from it. Establish communications from here to there!

I would suggest to senano topics for his paper could be:
"How I learned there is no one right way to build wireless networks",
or,
"I didnt think it could work, but it did, and I helped anyway".

There are many of us that like to help, and truly enjoy it, but we are out of silver spoons.
I'm not the only one that feels this way on this forum.
Thats my best advice, and I am stickin to it.
As far as Karma goes, Im not worried, I can only give the advice that I believe is the best for the case, and I did.

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Degree final project -- HOW I REALLY LEARNED WIRELESS

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 am

I'm not the only one that feels this way on this forum.
Renato Bernardi

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:37 am

Steve, you always write wonderful detailed posts, thank you for the help in the forum. We all appreciate it!
No answer to your question? How to write posts

Belyivulk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu May 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Im gonna throw my two cents worth in here.

When we first started with MT (a long long LONG time ago) we struggled to get going - now days we know what ROS is capable of and can do just about anything! i dont think it hurts to help the beginners get going - sometimes showing the way can lead to greater discoveries.
I think as 'expereinced users' we sometiems forget how hard some of the concepts of NAT / Routing / and so on can be!

So lets help out guys. It only takes 10 minutes of our time!

*edit* users with TERRIBLE spelling :P