Community discussions

MikroTik App

ibeeby
Topic Author

Any support for Bluetooth (for GPS)?

Wed May 05, 2010 10:10 am

Folks - this might seem to be a dumb question but I was wondering if there is any support for the small USB Bluetooth devices built in to RouterOS?

I have an x86 box, an RB411 with USB and an RB433 with USB. I was wondering if a bluetooth capable GPS receiver could be used to provide reference time and location?

The primary reason for doing this is for a time and date reference but I also have a mobile AP where location could be of interest - this is very experimental but I need more precise location than can be gained from, for example, decoding 3GPP frames to determine the base station of a nearby 3G tower.

Otherwise, other than a PCI-e card, how does one connect a GPS?

Any thoughts?

Regards

Ian

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Any support for Bluetooth (for GPS)?

Wed May 05, 2010 3:47 pm

USB GPS works.

At least one is listed...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 05, 2010 3:49 pm

yes all kinds of USB GPS devices work, usually called GPS Mouse
http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl ... i=&start=0

most important thing is NMEA support. GARMIN doesn't support NMEA in all models, just a few. Also these USB GPS mice are cheaper.

ibeeby
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2010 10:05 pm

I bought a cheap (relatively) USB GPS from Maplin (Type MT100) and it works just fine - now I need to figure out whether I can record the location parameters in a log file triggered by an event (such as loss-of link etc)...

Thanks for the guidance - a Bluetooth GPS would have been easier (since I already have one) as it is easier to locate it in a position to get a fix than to have to route a USB cable - but the devices are so cheap that I may get another.

Now one more question - when I sync the local clock to the GPS time, does that override NTP client sync and does that cause clock jumping when NTP sync comes and goes?

Cheers

Ian

csickles
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 11, 2010 12:39 am

Your ball normis....

:)