Community discussions

el berto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

[Help] Info about basic configurations...

Tue May 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi, I made several simple connections using Routerboards, but I have to improve my network.
I always used two modes (AP and client) radios.
I found some templates, so I'm actually using these configurations to make point-to-point or multi-point networks:
AP - "ap bridge" + "dynamic WDS"
Client - "station wds" + "static WDS"

I avoid to use bridge link because I could change anytime radio, so I don't have to change other radio settings.

Actually my network works, but I don't know if these settings are the best (I need AP with maximum 1-4 clients).
I've also seen several WDS modes (static, dynamic, static mesh, etc. etc.), but I don't know the differences.
May someone give me some advices?
Thanks.

P.S.
I would like make a wireless connection between two AP, is it possible?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: [Help] Info about basic configurations...

Wed May 19, 2010 10:04 am

WDS is used to make AP-AP connection.

wds-mode (One of disabled, static, dynamic, static-mesh or dynamic-mesh) : Controls how WDS links with other devices (APs and clients in station-wds mode) are established.
disabled does not allow WDS links.
static only allows WDS links that are manually configured in wds
dynamic also allows WDS links with devices that are not configured in wds, by creating required entries dynamically. Such dynamic WDS entries are removed automatically after the connection with the other AP is lost.
-mesh modes use different (better) method for establishing link between AP, that is not compatible with APs in non-mesh mode. This method avoids one-sided WDS links that are created only by one of the two APs. Such links cannot pass any data.
When AP or station is establishing WDS connection with another AP, it uses connect-list to check whether this connection is allowed. If station in station-wds mode is establishing connection with AP, AP uses access-list to check whether this connection is allowed.

From Wireless documentation,
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/Wireless

el berto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:40 pm

I received new RB433 boards......
I tried to make a link using my old RB112 boards......

Radio1 RB433:
Nstreme = enabled
DFS mode = radar detect
bridge

Radio2 RB433:
Nstreme = enabled
DFS mode = radar detect
bridge

Link between Radio1 and Radio2 is OK.
If I have to use a RB112 as second radio (instead RB433) I must disable Nstreme to have connection.
Maybe some differences in firmware or radio module?????

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:25 am

I do not see a problem to install the same MikroTik RouterOS version to RouterBOARD 112.
Check the configuration and make sure it is the same as on RouterBOARD 433, they should work the same.