Community discussions

MikroTik App

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

framer-limit

Thu May 20, 2010 8:58 pm

If 802.11 frame size is 2347 why is the default framer limit 3200? Does framer limit have anything to do with frame size? I see some people on this forum use even higher framer limit values. How should one determine most optimal framer limit value?

thanks.

Insider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: framer-limit

Sat May 22, 2010 9:32 am

If 802.11 frame size is 2347 why is the default framer limit 3200? Does framer limit have anything to do with frame size? I see some people on this forum use even higher framer limit values. How should one determine most optimal framer limit value?

thanks.
My experience is, that what higher frame you use, the higher is thruput. It is size of IEEE802.11x transmitted package thru OFDM engine. It works tho, that you can bundle more small TCP/IP packages to one bigger (using short HT guide interval) and then you get better thruput of small packages and even better speed performance..
I am playing for example with Nstreme Dual and N cards and with regular framer I can get in single HT 20MHz 49mbits. Using framer 4000 I am getting now about 60mbit of TCP or UDP traffic.

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Re: framer-limit

Tue May 25, 2010 7:26 pm

thanks.
My experience is, that what higher frame you use, the higher is thruput. It is size of IEEE802.11x transmitted package thru OFDM engine. It works tho, that you can bundle more small TCP/IP packages to one bigger (using short HT guide interval) and then you get better thruput of small packages and even better speed performance..
I am playing for example with Nstreme Dual and N cards and with regular framer I can get in single HT 20MHz 49mbits. Using framer 4000 I am getting now about 60mbit of TCP or UDP traffic.
Thanks, that is my experience as well. Judging from Mirkrotik's response :) it's a trade secret what the optimal numbers are.