Community discussions

MikroTik App

bosly
just joined
Topic Author

A lot of Wifi clients at the same time

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:02 am

Hi,

It's possible to distribute the Wifi clients in different channels??

Imagine a classroom, win 25 netbooks. All of them, try to connect to a wifi net, with SSID "LEARN" for example.

But there is a problem, because when the teacher says: Now save the file to the server... Imagine the traffic of all the computers doing the same...

I must find a solution...

I think, that I can use a RB, with 3 Wifi Modems. Each one in different channels. Without overlaping.

And now... how can I distribute the computers so they are connected to the same SSID but in different channels???

It's not possible to change the SSID. all must have the same.

Thank you!!

netrat

Re: A lot of Wifi clients at the same time

Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:47 am

If it's 2.4GHz then use channels 1, 6, and 11. They are the only three non-overlapping channels for most countries. Then set the max station limit to 9 or so per wireless card.

bosly
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Ok.

I put in a RB three 2,4 wifi cards.
One in channel 1, other in 6 and the last in 11.

How can I do in the RouterBoard, configured as AP, to balance the load of Wifi clients?

I think the 3 channels must have the same SSID, but, is there any way to assign different modems?

If a lot of clients are at the same channel, the traffic generated when all (at the same time) are for example, writing a file at a server.

Is a aplication for a school, so... its sure that all the students want to save a file at the same moment :-D

bafh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Netrat told you what to do!
If MT still doesn't have client limit then use some other Access points. I like DD-WRT capable ones, but many AP have client limit in their own software.