Community discussions

MikroTik App

dfwair
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Hotspot problems with complex bridging network

Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:33 pm

We have set up numerous hotspots now that all appear to be working, but we are having troubles with one network that is very complex. Here is a layout of what we have running:

(1) Mikrotik w/ Hotspot, 1 WAN connection, 1 LAN connection, both Ethernet, and 1 remote PPP connection to our data center for tunnelling of additional IPs to network
(1) RB532 w/ bridging to LAN connection on Ethernet port, one 5.8ghz Atheros card w/ dynamic WDS running in AP bridge mode, and one 2.4ghz Atheros card w/out WDS running in AP bridge mode for customers
(8) RB532 w/ WDS-enabled Atheros 5.8 in wds station mode and Atheros 2.4 w/out WDS running in AP bridge mode for customers

This is to cover a limited area with hotspot access, however, HotSpot login is a 100% requirement. We have set everything up correctly, to the best of our knowledge, but where we have problems is that the HotSpot will just stop working altogether. We will suddenly have no hotspot page or data to customers that were HS authenticated. We are running 2.9 currently, and have contemplated upgrading, however, we have had the same problems since the 2.9rc7 release and have only now had a chance to start working on this.

Please let us know what needs to be done to get this resolved, and if more information is needed, please let us know.

ofasa
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:07 am

No hotspot login page, fom my experience, indicates no connection to the internet (specifically a dns server failure). No data to authenticated users probably confirms this.

dfwair
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:11 am

No hotspot login page, fom my experience, indicates no connection to the internet (specifically a dns server failure).
PPPoE users stay online. We have PPPoE running for people with routers as well.
No data to authenticated users probably confirms this.
I completely agree, but PPPoE working kills this theory.