MUM Europe 2020

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

URGENT - UNICAST KEY EXCHANGE TIMEOUT PROBLEM

Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi all,

I'm having problems with 2 APs in the same instalation.

Both APs with ROS 4.9.
APs hardware is 433AH and XR5s.
Hotspots hardware are UB5 or R5H connecting with one radio to the APs and with a hotspot in another.

My APs has ap-bridge mode and are getting costumers to the master interface or to the VirtualAP1, with a hotspot on it.
Also I have virtual APs to make wds links to many repeaters (2 or 3)
My links are with static WDS and are working fine, till I get the unicast key exchange timeout problem when the AP is bored.. =_=

I'm using WPA keys instead of tkip and I use one wpa key fot the hotspot users and another one for the repeater links.

I can solve the problem by disableing master interface for 20-30 or one minute and enabling it.. but, why it stops linking with the repeaters?

Al the links are with signal of -65 and 100% CCQ. All the network is 5GHz and no turbo mode.

I noticed that if you change anything in a virtual AP, al the others disconnects and then reconnects, but there is sometimes that only one reconnects, perhaps 2, or perhaps.. all the 3 repeaters.. it depends on a random variable that I don't know what is.
PROBLEMWDS.JPG

ITS POSSIBLE TO FIX IT DOING SOMETHING?

Something related to this:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 20&start=0

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martín
martinruiz at ibersystems.es
Experto en redes WiFi y enlaces WiFi.

Facebook: @Ibersystems
Twitter: @Ibersystems

Certified in Traffic Shaping, Wireless, Internetworking, Routing and User Management.
MTCTCE - MTCWE - MTCINE - MTCUME - MTCRE

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: URGENT - UNICAST KEY EXCHANGE TIMEOUT PROBLEM

Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:33 pm

Nobody knows nothing about that?

I changed to AES CCM static keys and now the problem seams to be fixed..
It's not possible to use WDS, virtual APs and WPA keys? ¬¬u

Thanks to Butch Evans!
Martín

Certified in Traffic Shaping, Wireless, Internetworking, Routing and User Management.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Use the wds-mode=static-mesh
Then you will not notice this problem. The wds link on one end was disconnected and connected back, but the wireless encryption key sequence on one end is restarted and that is why you got such problems.

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:58 pm

I'll need to configure the /mess tabs?
Martín

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:08 pm

No, you just need to switch from regular wds to mesh-wds and that is all, it is not required to use /mesh.
Only thing is that you need to upgrade your all the WDS links as WDS mesh isn't compatible with regular WDS.

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Ok. Thanks.

I will consider this just in case that the problem persists, but now I'm working only with static ccm keys.

Now I'm having a lot of problems with data from unknown device 00:15:6D:xxxxxxxx (MAC of my 3 remote wds ap) send deauth. This could be related with the other problem? : /

I have -65 and 95% ccq in the 3 links..
Martín

gammy69er

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:07 am

No, you just need to switch from regular wds to mesh-wds and that is all, it is not required to use /mesh.
Only thing is that you need to upgrade your all the WDS links as WDS mesh isn't compatible with regular WDS.
Thanks Uldis - Finally Found this Thread... is an issue I have had intermittently for a while on random nodes. Switching to static-mesh - all STA associated Instantly - YAY. Will bear this in mind for next design upgrade (coming soon :P)

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:51 am

i am using ver. 6.29 but the problem is still there...

i am not able to handle the issue... it's costing me a lot and it is not mesh its just simple AP connecting with 10-15 clients.
by professionals, for professionals....
Don't forget to give KARMA!!!

gammy69er

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:35 am

i am not able to handle the issue... it's costing me a lot and it is not mesh its just simple AP connecting with 10-15 clients.

Bud, I think you'll find that an AP with Clients Denotes a type of "Mesh" (conglomeration of network devices) - Star Configuration.

We tend to think of a mesh as multiple links linking to each other - as the term itself would indicate. However, presumably due to the way Mikrotik's handle themselves in an AP situation, I now Recommend that if you have more than 1 STA connecting to any Mikrotik AP, that you turn on static mesh - it has resolved systems on 3 Nodes for me, and on a new install I used Dynamic Mesh - this also worked well, but kept dropping off (was up to wds300 as the wds interface within 5 days). Switched back to static and added the wds interfaces - all solid now, no drop-offs.

With Static Mesh on the WDS - you DO NOT need to have the network(s) setup on a mesh, a Bridge will still work well. I personally don't trust "Mesh" in ROS, however I have not had enough time to research exactly what the advantages/scenarios that would suit the protocols.

There was 2 meshes setup prior to me starting with the company I am at (and even learning about ROS) - both of which were having intermittent issues. When I was confident in my abilities, I cracked both of them over remotely to a Static Mesh WDS with a RSTP Bridge Network, and both have been solid for months.

So again, I reiterate, Activate "Static Mesh"(or Dynamic Mesh - but still recommend Static) on the wireless interface, and attach those interfaces to your bridge - job done :)

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:43 am

hello,

as i said it's no MESH... it is simple AP and Client like any other WiFi Device.

it just throws all the connected clients out...

Normis why is it still that only Mikrotik WiFi AP have this problem? I am facing real trouble in the market because of this peculiar issue.

screenshot attached.

mikrotik.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gammy69er

Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:58 am

Well... All I was saying is that when I Activated "Static Mesh" in the WDS Settings on the Wireless AP - This Issue went away for me... I AM NOT using Mesh, and AM NOT Meshing my AP's Together - in fact it is a Standard AP/STA Wireless Network. These is one AP, and Multiple Stations - all working Independent of Bridge, or as an RSTP Bridge... No Mikrotik Mesh.

You have to try to realise here that WDS Meshing and RB Meshing are 2 separate things - once you get this - you may activate the WDS Static Mesh under your wireless settings in your AP, and potentially it will be required on your stations also, and then you may find that this problem goes away - because this is what i did, and that is what happened

I say Thank you again to Uldus for that one :)

Good Luck

ingsadaza
just joined

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:08 am

Did you find a solution?

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:27 am

non yet!!

ingsadaza
just joined

Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:37 am

non yet!!
Have you tried improving the levels of signal on the channels? Have you tried all the options mentioned on this thread?

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:48 am

yes all done but sadly no improvement....